cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Bullcrap.

BYU gets nowhere close to $50M per year in donations to athletic department. Maybe 1/10th of that.
He said the university, not the athletic department.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I have a relative who is well connected. He is very much "in the know" of things that happen at BYU and in the church.

Over Thanksgiving, I mentioned to him that Jerry Jones annouced the $100,000 donation requirement for the rights to purchase the best seats in the Cowboys new billion-dollar stadium.

We got into a discussion similar to this thread. He told me that every year, the Legacy donors and other prominent members of the church that have ties to BYU are solicited for additional donations, and every year, over $50 million is raised for the university.
Legacies (and non CC donors) definitely are hit up each year, and definitely give each year...Coaches Circle, CC, and stuff that doesnt even go towards athletics, such as funding for new campus buildings, etc..

I have no way of knowing, but $50MM a year in donations, particularly repetitive ones, seems awfully high.

Santos may know for sure since he seems to have access to the LDS Church accounting database. But I would venture to guess that $50MM is high.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #33
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Not the athletic department, but the whole university.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Legacies (and non CC donors) definitely are hit up each year, and definitely give each year...Coaches Circle, CC, and stuff that doesnt even go towards athletics, such as funding for new campus buildings, etc..

I have no way of knowing, but $50MM a year in donations, particularly repetitive ones, seems awfully high.

Santos may know for sure since he seems to have access to the LDS Church accounting database. But I would venture to guess that $50MM is high.
No I don't have access to church accounting database at all. But I have some knowledge of church and BYU finances.

$50M seems high but not ordinately high for BYU as a whole. They're always building and always asking for money. It seems a few years ago when Bateman did a big push they got much more than $50M like several times that number. Athletic department got a portion of that to build indoor practice facility.

Athletic budget is $25M a year and basically breaks even. Might turn a small profit or migh run a small deficit depending on the year. Donations to athletic dept are included in the top line revenue.

They'll run a capital project for building or recently for coaches salaries and put in in an endowment where just the interest is considered revenue for athletic department.

I believe BYU requires $500M in tithing money, so $50M doesn't go too far with that.

$50M also wouldn't be a large number compared to what other universities get in donations every year.

Then again, what does it matter? Church gets tithing, BYU donations, BYU athletic dept donations. Church uses all of it to fund its projects, including BYU athletics. Hey to ALUF's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #35
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I disagree. Ira Fulton is the biggest donor to BYU athletics in history and I doubt he could tell you BYU's last two bowl opponents.

If you have passion for BYU, you have a right to voice your opinion. 71 has more passion for BYU than some guys that donate more than he does, and some guys that donate a lot less than 71 have more passion than he does. If 90% of your casual wear is BYU gear, you plan your vacations around BYU games, and you can name the starting QB's for each year going back to 1972, then you have every right to voice your opinion for BYU no matter how much you donate.
Everone has a right to voice their opinion. The people at BYU are very cordial to me and treat me with respect. That being said, they really don't care about my lone opinion. Rightly so. What I have always said is that if the majority or Legacy CC members feel the way I do, they will listen to my voice, as part of that group.

It is my guess that a concensus, or near concensus, opinion of 200 Legacy Members who are semi passionate count for more than 2,000 passionate fans who watch the games on TV and don't even join the CC as $100 members.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #36
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think the problem is this:

When you bring up how much money you donate to BYU, people assume you're saying your opinion is more important than theirs because you are loaded. With money, not booze.

I think.

That doesn't sit well with most people.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #37
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I think the problem is this:

When you bring up how much money you donate to BYU, people assume you're saying your opinion is more important than theirs because you are loaded. With money, not booze.

I think.

That doesn't sit well with most people.
Valid point. I will come clean. I borrowed the money I donated.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Valid point. I will come clean. I borrowed the money I donated.
One you pay back the loan, then I will care about your opinion with regards to BYU sports.

Also, I have moved you from my "Legacy Ignore" list back down to my rank and file "Ignore" list.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #39
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Those legacy tickets have been killing BYU crowds and finances for a generation. They have also contributed to the miserly attitude of many BYU football fans.

Now that we have gotten back to on the field success the fanbase is going to need to pony up. I just looked up the Bama season ticket pricing and they have waiting lists to fill a 93,000 seat stadium! And they have had one good team in the last five years. Furthermore they have a smaller, less affluent alumni base. It is this same way all throughout the SEC and Big XII and so on.

http://www.rolltide.com/fls/8000/fil...DB_OEM_ID=8000

In order to really mount a challenge to the big boys, all aspects of the program need to pull their weight and that is where the money boys come in. Just count your donations as part of your tithing. It is all going to the same place isn't it?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Those legacy tickets have been killing BYU crowds and finances for a generation. They have also contributed to the miserly attitude of many BYU football fans.

Now that we have gotten back to on the field success the fanbase is going to need to pony up. I just looked up the Bama season ticket pricing and they have waiting lists to fill a 93,000 seat stadium! And they have had one good team in the last five years. Furthermore they have a smaller, less affluent alumni base. It is this same way all throughout the SEC and Big XII and so on.

http://www.rolltide.com/fls/8000/fil...DB_OEM_ID=8000

In order to really mount a challenge to the big boys, all aspects of the program need to pull their weight and that is where the money boys come in. Just count your donations as part of your tithing. It is all going to the same place isn't it?
You really think Bama has a smaller and less afluent alumni base?