cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #21
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Is there a big difference between what Collie said and what Ray Lewis said on the podium after winning the Super Bowl in 2001? Ray gave credit to God for the victory, and his ability to withstand the "trials" that God gave him (murder trial). Were people freaking out about that? Cause I think it's pretty similar.

Athletes give credit to God all the time. I love that it pisses all these Ute fans off.
First off, I think Ray Lewis or anybody else giving credit to God is really stupid. Second, there's a big difference between giving credit to God and saying the equivalent of "I'm more righteous than them, therefore God chose my team to win." Collie is the bomb, but that was a really dumb thing to say.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Sigh. they don't mean anything because they aren't comparable. He's saying that Utah is top 5 against the pass, conveniently ignoring that they didn't play any of the top passing offenses. I never said that stats are always meaningless, and in fact I tend to put more emphasis on stats than most. BYU could run at will against the U's defense, and Utah's offense was impotent for most of the game. It would have been dominant on the scoreboard too if a couple more catches had been made. Nuance brother, nuance.
Nuance? Or homerism on your part?.

Tomato or tomahto? It's the same thing depending on perspective.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #23
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
utefans.net claims he said this on radio:

"When you're doing what's right on and off the field, I think God steps in, takes care of it, the magic happens."

Anyone hear this?
Is there something wrong with that quote -did he say utes don't do things right on and off the field? Is he speaking about his own life and football experience?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #24
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Nuance? Or homerism on your part?.

Tomato or tomahto? It's the same thing depending on perspective.
Call it homerism, but in this case I just don't think you understood what I was referring to.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yea, I am pissed.

I wonder if utah had won, would collie have had the nads to say:
"If only I had gone to see the Bishop last week, I think we would have won."
Are you taking his quote out of context? Why is it wrong for him to express gratitude? Why is it instantly perceived as a slight against Utes?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Call it homerism, but in this case I just don't think you understood what I was referring to.
I know exactly what you were referring to. You discounted Utah's pass defense because they play in the MWC.

I just believe that you're incapable of giving Utah credit where credit is due.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #27
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First off, I think Ray Lewis or anybody else giving credit to God is really stupid. Second, there's a big difference between giving credit to God and saying the equivalent of "I'm more righteous than them, therefore God chose my team to win." Collie is the bomb, but that was a really dumb thing to say.
He basically said God helped us win. Whether it's true or not, I dont have a problem with him saying it. He's a devout, humble kid. We need more like him.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 AM   #28
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Satan gets enough credit in sports.

I'd like to see a player come out and say, while their team is in the middle of a losing streak, or after a tough loss something like, "We played good enough to win today, but in the end, Satan got to us and we lost." Or, "I'd like to give Satan credit for today's loss; because I'm not taking any of the blame."

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 11-25-2007 at 01:01 AM.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #29
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I know exactly what you were referring to. You discounted Utah's pass defense because they play in the MWC.

I just believe that you're incapable of giving Utah credit where credit is due.
I think I'd be more likely to do so had I seen any of their other games this year. I just don't care that much about them, and therefore only have this game to go on. What I saw were a lot of wide open receivers. That tells me that their top 5 ranking is due to lack of competition. I'll admit that if BYU had played Arkansas, Navy, LSU, or even Air Force after they remembered that they are a running team, that we likely would not be ranked in the top 10 against the run, and that our status as the only team in the whole nation not to give up a 100 rusher is due to not facing any good rushers. Why can't you admit the same thing about your pass defense?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #30
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I don't think Satan gets enough credit in sports.

I'd like to see a player come out and say, while their team is in the middle of a losing streak, or after a tough loss something like, "We played good enough to win today, but in the end, Satan got to us and we lost." Or, "I'd like to give Satan credit for today's loss; because I'm not taking any of the blame."
That'd be pretty funny. I'd like to hear somebody give credit to Wotan or Ganesh.