cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Good CB post on a Bronco speech

Thought some of you anti-CBers would want to see this. It's a nice summary of a speech Bronco apparently gave at the Cougar United luncheon. Maybe some of you have heard this stuff before, but some of it was new to me.

I thought it was fascinating to hear that Bronco thought he was a short-timer as soon as he was hired. I wonder if the administration gave him that impression. The anecdote about a playoff was annoying (no surprise there), and it's fascinating to me that the penalty problem is low on his priority list.

His anti-booing sentiment I heard myself when I attended one of his firesides. I think it's awesome. He ought to continually call out fans on booing.

I couldn't be more enthused about Bronco as our HC.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3153581

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Bronco is another example of why God loves BYU football. BYU, despite their best efforts, nearly let him get away. Who knew he would turn out to be as good as he has been?

I think BYU has done a good job of locking him up for the long-term with the last contract extension and BYU's future is bright.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Bronco is another example of why God loves BYU football. BYU, despite their best efforts, nearly let him get away. Who knew he would turn out to be as good as he has been?

I think BYU has done a good job of locking him up for the long-term with the last contract extension and BYU's future is bright.
what's the buyout on his contract?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what's the buyout on his contract?
Being disowned by the House of Israel and Father Abraham.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The jury is still out for me on Bronco. I haven't heard his name bandied about enough in relation to other coaching jobs to convince me that he's right for BYU.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The jury is still out for me on Bronco. I haven't heard his name bandied about enough in relation to other coaching jobs to convince me that he's right for BYU.
I think his apt handling of the administration, alumni and off-the-field player issues has already been sufficiently demonstrated. Going 16-2 in his last 18 games is another very positive indicator.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Thought some of you anti-CBers would want to see this. It's a nice summary of a speech Bronco apparently gave at the Cougar United luncheon. Maybe some of you have heard this stuff before, but some of it was new to me.

I thought it was fascinating to hear that Bronco thought he was a short-timer as soon as he was hired. I wonder if the administration gave him that impression. The anecdote about a playoff was annoying (no surprise there), and it's fascinating to me that the penalty problem is low on his priority list.

His anti-booing sentiment I heard myself when I attended one of his firesides. I think it's awesome. He ought to continually call out fans on booing.

I couldn't be more enthused about Bronco as our HC.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3153581
I would like to have a chance to ask some questions about his gpa stance that he will only recruit athletes with a 3.0 gpa. I understand that both Maanaki Vaitai and David Angilau had to take school significantly more serious as seniors to even make it through the NCAA clearinghouse. I doubt they both raised their cumulative high school gpas to 3.0, perhaps he means a 3.0 as seniors when BYU is recruiting them, but then last year BYU signed both Star Lolutei and Scotty Ebert and neither made it past the clearinghouse.

Regardless, the dude can stroke CougarNation like no other, but I think that is because he really wins. Perhaps I am a cynic, but consider me a bit skeptical that he didn't think winning was important. But lines about being brought into "clean up the program" continues to reinforce the IndyCoug line that Gary Crowton was fired because of the HC issues and not his winning percentage. If most want to believe that, I am OK with it. I don't believe it but I am OK with others believing whatever they want. It seems it is an issue that the fanbase and admin has very strong feelings about so Bronco is one smart sumuhgun to keep reinforcing it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
I think his apt handling of the administration, alumni and off-the-field player issues has already been sufficiently demonstrated. Going 16-2 in his last 18 games is another very positive indicator.
That is a good point, until his name is held in tight Aggie circles as a possible HC along with Belicheck, Les Miles and some of those other strong Aggie candidates Bronco Mendenhall is just mediocre.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
But lines about being brought into "clean up the program" continues to reinforce the IndyCoug line that Gary Crowton was fired because of the HC issues and not his winning percentage.
If you dig around enough, you'll see there have been plenty of others that have said the same thing that I have zero association with or influence over. But that's another thread...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I would like to have a chance to ask some questions about his gpa stance that he will only recruit athletes with a 3.0 gpa. I understand that both Maanaki Vaitai and David Angilau had to take school significantly more serious as seniors to even make it through the NCAA clearinghouse. I doubt they both raised their cumulative high school gpas to 3.0, perhaps he means a 3.0 as seniors when BYU is recruiting them, but then last year BYU signed both Star Lolutei and Scotty Ebert and neither made it past the clearinghouse.

Regardless, the dude can stroke CougarNation like no other, but I think that is because he really wins. Perhaps I am a cynic, but consider me a bit skeptical that he didn't think winning was important. But lines about being brought into "clean up the program" continues to reinforce the IndyCoug line that Gary Crowton was fired because of the HC issues and not his winning percentage. If most want to believe that, I am OK with it. I don't believe it but I am OK with others believing whatever they want. It seems it is an issue that the fanbase and admin has very strong feelings about so Bronco is one smart sumuhgun to keep reinforcing it.
Nothing buys bygones quicker than wins. Winning gives a coach a semi-impermeable shield to protect him from other problems in a program. Crowton lost his, and thus the HC issues got him.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote