cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Why call that play when you are getting 4-5 yards a pop? It's not about not letting him throw, it's about patients.

It's smart football, not armchair coaching, simply smart football.
I blame the coaches for their players playing so poorly. Playcalling is often a easy lightning rod, not claiming you are wrong with picking that bone, but IMO the coaches failed to get their players prepared. The penalties and awful defense are why I think BYU lost. Their great offensive firepower almost afforded them a victory despite playing so shitty on special teams and defense as well as consistently stepping on their own dicks on offense.

I am still confident the Y will be find this year. Even great programs have embarassing losses, perhaps not to Conf USA programs but I ain't got delusions of grandeur about the BYU. I still think BYU can get its 8-9 victories this year.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #22
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I agree we should have blitzed however on every play, every time we blitzed good things happened. Smith woudl change the play and bronco would back out of it, he was severely outcoached tonight.
they needed to bump & run the recievers at the line and apply constant preasure.

The offense needed to run the ball and dictate the pace of the game.

Last edited by tooblue; 09-16-2007 at 05:36 AM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree we should have blitzed however on every play, every time we blitzed good things happened. Smith woudl change the play and bronco would back out of it, he was severely outcoached tonight.
not according to tooblue.

Tooblue, seriously, I've read better more insightful analysis from exute.

It's not about cute football. It's about not committing penalties and protecting the ball.

and btw, the OL did not dominate. THEY SHOULD HAVE DOMINATED, but they didn't.

If I'm Tulsa, and I'm up by just less than 2 touchdowns, and I've given up a lot of big plays, I'm perfectly happy with BYU running the ball at 4 yards a pop, with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

This OL has to be the most overrated BYU OL of recent memory. Not only was the run blocking underperforming, there were critical breakdowns in pass coverage as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #24
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
ah yes, don't call a throw as long as you have gained 4 or more yards on 3 consecutive runs. thanks Lombardi.
It would've won this game. And that's the point isn't it -to win.

Gosh, it sure is nice Max threw for over 500 yards -in a loss. Thanks idiot Hawaii fan.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
they needed to bump & run the recievers at the line and apply constant preasure.

they didnt because they kept getting beat over the top. However it was 3rd and less than 5 a few times and they were playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
they needed to bump & run the recievers at the line adn apply constant preasure.

You want us to bump and run when we are getting blown by down the field with our cb 10 yards off the ball and safety 20 yards off the ball? Do you realize Kayle Buchanan was playing. Do you realize that Criddle, Gooch, et al. finally exposed themselves as slow white boys?

It was almost as if Smith knew what the defense was going to be on every play. Oh wait, he did know.

Bronco had no answer for their no-huddle D.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #27
tooblue

Quote:
not according to tooblue.

Tooblue, seriously, I've read better more insightful analysis from exute.

It's not about cute football. It's about not committing penalties and protecting the ball.

and btw, the OL did not dominate. THEY SHOULD HAVE DOMINATED, but they didn't.

If I'm Tulsa, and I'm up by just less than 2 touchdowns, and I've given up a lot of big plays, I'm perfectly happy with BYU running the ball at 4 yards a pop, with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

This OL has to be the most overrated BYU OL of recent memory. Not only was the run blocking underperforming, there were critical breakdowns in pass coverage as well.
Your reading comprehension is in trouble. Have I written about the 4th quarter at all?

NO

Uhm let's see -I've put ALL the blame on the coaching .... hmmmm
Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
It would've won this game. And that's the point isn't it -to win.

Gosh, it sure is nice Max threw for over 500 yards -in a loss. Thanks idiot Hawaii fan.
Thanks exute. You've been in Canada too long. I know it's an attractive idea. That just one change. One small change in the gameplan would have won the game. It's an appealing idea.

Just like the fans who will argue that 1 or 2 referee calls would have changed the outcome, and we were therefore robbed.

It's almost as if you saw this game and decided that our OL was dictating play. Which is an amazing conclusion to make, because I watched the game as well.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #29
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Excellent point. We've heard all off-season how our OL will be the shining stars this year. What have we seen? A failed goalline stand against AZ. Incredible amount of penalties. Blown assignments leading to turnovers. Mediocre running game largely relying on the skill of the backs and not the OL push.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #30
tooblue

Quote:
they didnt because they kept getting beat over the top. However it was 3rd and less than 5 a few times and they were playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage.
They got beat over the top once they got through the zone, which is MUCH worse than getting beat one on one, bump & run on the outside as happened late.