cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the look-a-like posts on CB racist?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #41
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I'm sure Sooner is willing to send you a list of things you might do/say/buy/think that are offensive. Just ask.
I'm remembering a kerfuffle a few years ago about the naming of internal computer hardware: master drives and slave drives. There was a short-lived movement to put pressure on the hardware industry to change the terminology because it was racially insensitive.

It's just so stupid.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #42
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Just wondering what you guys think.
Not racist at all.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Because they spent most of the time focused on the finer points of English usage where you were at?

I'm with Nikumono, I wasn't aware Buckwheat was such a divisive character, but I guess I can see why. I get the Al Jolsen thing, but Buckwheat? Is it really such a lightning rod? So, the ward within which I was raised was racist by showing all those Lil Rascals movies at Christmas Parties?

I generally agree with most of what OK Sooner is saying, but it does seem like there is something new everyday that offends people. Should I stop buying Aunt Jemimah products?
Given our past, don't you think we should err on the side of caution when it comes to race issues?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Given our past, don't you think we should err on the side of caution when it comes to race issues?
Well, given it was an innocuous post in the middle of a lengthy thread where the bulk of the posts couldn't be interpreted as racist, even by SoonerCoug, could it be that this is just a ridiculous exercise fomented by someone that seems keen on repeatedly chronicling the past foibles of our LDS forefathers?

Even on this relatively liberal site, we're currently looking at a 80-20 vote that this wasn't racist.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #45
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In general I agree, and try to conduct myself that way, and teach my children the same. But I wonder if in all this effort to not offend we make assumptions that are incorrect (Like, are all black people offended by Buckwheat, or just some? And in what context? If some are, do I change just for them?). It diminishes dialogue and experience when we are too sensitive.

I will now refrain from referring to Buckwheat and laughing at him and his antics (does this mean I can't laugh at EMurphy's mocerky of Buckwheat?) and suggest others do the same. This shouldn't be difficult, since I wasn't doing a lot of that anyway. But where do we draw the line? Can we not mock anything that is black? or Asian (not Oriental!!!!)? or Jewish?

The N word is bad; we know that. Is black bad also? Or should I use AA, even though that offends me? And to whom is it bad or offensive? Who speaks for a whole people? I had honestly never heard anyone say Buckwheat was offensive.

Just rambling here.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 PM   #46
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
In general I agree, and try to conduct myself that way, and teach my children the same. But I wonder if in all this effort to not offend we make assumptions that are incorrect (Like, are all black people offended by Buckwheat, or just some? And in what context? If some are, do I change just for them?). It diminishes dialogue and experience when we are too sensitive.

I will now refrain from referring to Buckwheat and laughing at him and his antics (does this mean I can't laugh at EMurphy's mocerky of Buckwheat?) and suggest others do the same. This shouldn't be difficult, since I wasn't doing a lot of that anyway. But where do we draw the line? Can we not mock anything that is black? or Asian (not Oriental!!!!)? or Jewish?

The N word is bad; we know that. Is black bad also? Or should I use AA, even though that offends me? And to whom is it bad or offensive? Who speaks for a whole people? I had honestly never heard anyone say Buckwheat was offensive.

Just rambling here.
hmm, does this mean I should throw away the copy of little rascals I bought for my kids?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #47
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not racist at all, the dude looks like buckwheat whether he is black, white, purple or yellow, he looks like buckwheat. I personally think its funny, now if he posted his pic and then said looks like: and had a picture of a monkey then you would be on to something, or on another board there was a jewish player and they had an ashtray as a comparison.

But this is a stretch even for you. Nikuman was not trying ot offend anyone with this post.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Should we be racially sensitive given the culture we live in? Sure. But let's be reasonable.

As I said earlier ... false or frivolous charges of racism simply dilute the ability to identify and eradicate REAL racism.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 PM   #49
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this new thread racist?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2947728
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #50
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Maybe Sooner would be satisfied if only white players were included in the lookalike threads.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote