cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well TV would broadcast the Utah game and will almost always ignore the USU game.
BYU's TV contract as independent would be similar to the old version where some games are picked up by national provider, some are picked up by KSL locally. KSL would pay more to broadcast BYU vs USU than we get from average game in current MWC contract.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the bad things about not posting on CB is being able to challenge some really dumb statements. Take this one for instance.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2925607

BYU could make more money by themselves without thinking about it.

Some people just don't know who we are. They better give some serious thought about it. Scheduling problems?? Will we continue to win and what would be the effect if we don't. Does someone really want to pay to see us play outside of Utah. Enough to get a good TV deal.

If it isn't well thought out and done right, it could end up being a stupider step than the Mountain contract. Which by the way I am not all that convinced it was that stupid.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #23
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
of course I don't expect BYU to do anything but continue to be dragged down by all things stupid associated with the MWC.
I can't dissagree more with this. I posted the following on CB. I don't want to retype, so here is the copy/past.

Fans that think going independent are very much off base. Going independent would be terrible for the university. We might get better TV coverage, on BYUTV, but that is about it. I am not sure BYUTV is better coverage, although I would be able to see games then. Who watches that channel anyway? A lot of fans have this idea that we are like Notre Dame, and we would get this great TV deal. That is crazy. We do not have a national following. We have a Mormon following, and a few other spares. For the most part, college football fans do not like BYU. We never get respect at a national level. The argument is we play in a weak conference, we have "old" players... etc. While these arguments might be true, in reality the religion has a lot to do with it. I am not trying to pull out the bigoty card here, I am just saying that BYU will always be a ridiculed school. The things we like about it, are laughed at by others. This is fine, but you are not going to see non-mormons (for the most part) sporting BYU gear. Travel expenses would double, maybe even triple. We would no longer be able to play teams in the inter-mountain west. All MWC teams would blackball us. Finally, I believe that we couldn't compete with a Notre Dame like schedule. Notre Dame can't even compete anymore. We lack the depth to ever play an 11 games schedule against BCS type caliber schools. (I know there is an argument that we could recruit it, if we had that type schedule, but that is another post). I believe our 1's can play against anyone for the most part, but we get a significant drop off after that. Going independent is not the answer. I think we should focus on being the baddest of the smaller guys, and make the most of our chances against the bigger schools. Much like we did in the 80's and early 90's.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I can't dissagree more with this. I posted the following on CB. I don't want to retype, so here is the copy/past.

Fans that think going independent are very much off base. Going independent would be terrible for the university. We might get better TV coverage, on BYUTV, but that is about it. I am not sure BYUTV is better coverage, although I would be able to see games then. Who watches that channel anyway? A lot of fans have this idea that we are like Notre Dame, and we would get this great TV deal. That is crazy. We do not have a national following. We have a Mormon following, and a few other spares. For the most part, college football fans do not like BYU. We never get respect at a national level. The argument is we play in a weak conference, we have "old" players... etc. While these arguments might be true, in reality the religion has a lot to do with it. I am not trying to pull out the bigoty card here, I am just saying that BYU will always be a ridiculed school. The things we like about it, are laughed at by others. This is fine, but you are not going to see non-mormons (for the most part) sporting BYU gear. Travel expenses would double, maybe even triple. We would no longer be able to play teams in the inter-mountain west. All MWC teams would blackball us. Finally, I believe that we couldn't compete with a Notre Dame like schedule. Notre Dame can't even compete anymore. We lack the depth to ever play an 11 games schedule against BCS type caliber schools. (I know there is an argument that we could recruit it, if we had that type schedule, but that is another post). I believe our 1's can play against anyone for the most part, but we get a significant drop off after that. Going independent is not the answer. I think we should focus on being the baddest of the smaller guys, and make the most of our chances against the bigger schools. Much like we did in the 80's and early 90's.
we can't get a deal like Navy has? (Navy is independent).

Plus if we schedule more against BCS that is guaranteed coverage esp. when on the road.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Navy deal with CSTV. I don't know the $$$.

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/031605aaa.html
Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
one of the bad things about not posting on CB is being able to challenge some really dumb statements. Take this one for instance.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2925607

BYU could make more money by themselves without thinking about it.

Some people just don't know who we are. They better give some serious thought about it. Scheduling problems?? Will we continue to win and what would be the effect if we don't. Does someone really want to pay to see us play outside of Utah. Enough to get a good TV deal.

If it isn't well thought out and done right, it could end up being a stupider step than the Mountain contract. Which by the way I am not all that convinced it was that stupid.
I completely agree with Statman on that post. As I look at the revenue streams and where they come from and how much, it's obvious to me that going independent would easily bring more $. The reason is that the conference provides us with so little. It really shouldn't be hard to imagine when you think that the sum of the revenues the conference collects is the sum the individual schools contribute. To say we could do better independent is really only saying we could do on our own better than the avg MWC does now. The avg MWC school is CSU/UNM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Of course the best part of going independent is seeing the Ute fans tell us how stupid it is, while at the same time they are pissing their pants.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Of course the best part of going independent is seeing the Ute fans tell us how stupid it is, while at the same time they are pissing their pants.
Pissing our pant? Perhaps from laughing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Pissing our pant? Perhaps from laughing.
It's just like if Utah were suddenly to be picked up by the pac10 and not BYU. BYU fans would be pissing their pants and crapping their shorts.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #30
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously, BYU would last a year or two going independent and they would come running back from the disaster. Really good BYU football would do OK initially, but would struggle to get games against teams later in the season. The other sports for BYU would shrivel up and die. Nothing better than an independent mens tennis team or swim team or womens soccer, etc. A conference helps teams with defrayed costs and sharing in the money when a school does well.

Utah going to the BCS game helped BYU financially. Utah and other schools winning their games in the NCAA tourney helped BYU financially. A losing BYU football team would be disasterous for them but even a winning team would be a disaster to the rest of the BYU athletic department. Seriously, if BYU decides to go independent, Holmoe would be fired within 2 years.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote