cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #71
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
How about this. What if one day I said Triplet Dad is a mid-major poster on Cougarguard? How would that make you feel about yourself? Better or worse?

You'd probably think to yourself..."I work just as hard as SU, IPU, Arch and the rest of those fellas. In fact, I occasionally produce some good material. Though I'm not as consistently awesome as say, YOhio, there have been times I could hang with him. Why am I then automatically relegated to mid-major status? It's just not right!"

That didn't feel very good did it Triplet?
I knew you were going to get a crazy big swollen head. I wish I had never said anything about your Y'zGuy post.

For the record, I view myself here as a definite mid-major. I have no power, no control of my own destiny, yet everyone wants me because I automatically boost ratings and ticket sales.

swish

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #72
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, the red-dot next to the profile indicates one's mid-major status.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #73
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually BlueK, it's not wins that determine the BCS structure. It's money. Look at the athletic dept. budgets as well as the TV contracts for each of the conferences and see where the MWC ends up.
And this, amigo, is the last word.

In my previous post, I listed several things that make us mid major......TV contracts, annual revenues amongst them.

Utah beating a crappy Pitt team has very little to do with the BCS.

The BCS is simply a way to control the revenue.

i am constantly confused by the so-called capitalists on this site and CB who then bemoan professional sports leagues and the BCS.....things that are basically the epitome of capitalism. If the free market wanted mid majors in the BCS, then they would be included regularly.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #74
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Btw, the red-dot next to the profile indicates one's mid-major status.
I'm embracing the red dot.

BTW, I gave you negative feedback yesterday for your use of the n-bomb.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #75
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I view this as a different argument. I agree that the BCS is unfair in that coattail schools such as Baylor get the financial benefits. But that doesnt make those crappy schools better football programs.

If what you were saying earlier is true, then Baylor fans this year want a piece of BYU because they all think that they are better. And ESPN would pick Baylor over BYU. That is where you are losing me. It seems to be an overstatement of bias towards all BCS schools. There is bias towards the usual suspects (SC, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc...), but not across the board.
I think Baylor fans would think they would beat BYU. Ok, maybe Baylor is an extreme example because they have so thoroughly sucked for a long time. They almost dont' have fans. But I think Mike Waters who lives around here and actually knows Big 12 fans would probably agree with me that fans of lower level Big 12 teams probably would expect to beat BYU, despite our history, ranking and record. Don't bring up pointspreads in the UW and UCLA games. I'm talking about run of the mill fans, not professional gamblers.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #76
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

I just gave you negative feedback for doing that.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #77
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And this, amigo, is the last word.

In my previous post, I listed several things that make us mid major......TV contracts, annual revenues amongst them.

Utah beating a crappy Pitt team has very little to do with the BCS.

The BCS is simply a way to control the revenue.

i am constantly confused by the so-called capitalists on this site and CB who then bemoan professional sports leagues and the BCS.....things that are basically the epitome of capitalism. If the free market wanted mid majors in the BCS, then they would be included regularly.
a cartel is a way to keep the free market from working the way it would if it were truly free. That's what the BCS is. I'll keep bashing away.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #78
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The reason that the BCS upsets BYU fans so much, is that we are truly the one team among the mid-majors who doesn't belong to them, and ought to be in a BCS conference. based on history, revenues, fan base, attendance, etc.

If BYU left the MWC, the MWC instantly becomes the WAC.

I've long argued that BYU ought to get out of the MWC if it possibly can (can't).
Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #79
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think Baylor fans would think they would beat BYU. Ok, maybe Baylor is an extreme example because they have so thoroughly sucked for a long time. They almost dont' have fans. But I think Mike Waters who lives around here and actually knows Big 12 fans would probably agree with me that fans of lower level Big 12 teams probably would expect to beat BYU, despite our history, ranking and record. Don't bring up pointspreads in the UW and UCLA games. I'm talking about run of the mill fans, not professional gamblers.
And again, i say....who cares what fans think?

Prior to the BCS, what did those Big 12 fans think about their chances vs BYU? Probably the exact same hubris.

Your issue should not be with the BCS. It should be with BYU's basically pretty crappy record against these BCS teams. if we would win the majority of our BCS games, then the reasonable opponents would take note and not view us that way (again assuming that you care what other fans think).

if we won most of our BCS games, what choice would the media have but to write about the fact that we win most of our games?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #80
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:

Btw, giving me negative feedback is a little like praying to God and asking Him to punish Himself.