cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't expect Utah fans to know this because their team sucked pond water in the 80s and 90s, but the Holiday Bowl for a while had an arrangement to take the #2 Big 10 team. Iowa in 91 and Ohio State in 93 were 1-loss teams ranked in the top 5. The Holiday Bowl already had a pretty good thing going before they left the WAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Come on, SU. The MWC would kill to have matchups like what it got in the Holiday Bowl, and it is a big bowl today (Pac 10#2 v Big 12#3).

Here are the teams that played in the Holiday Bowl in the 80's (I am not listing WAC/MWC teams):

SMU (with Erik Dickerson)
WSU
Ohio State
Missouri
Michigan
Arkansas v ASU
Iowa
Oklahoma State
Penn State

And then the 90's:

A&M
Iowa
Illinois
Ohio State
Michigan
Kansas State
Colorado v Washington
Missouri
Nebraska v Arizona
KSU v Washington

And then in the 2000's:

Oregon v Texas
Texas v Washington
KSU v ASU
WSU v Texas
TTU v Cal
OU v Oregon
Cal v A&M
Texas v ASU

What are Utah's options now if they don't get into the BCS (which realistically only 1 non-BCS team can do)? Pac 10#4/5 in Vegas, or even worse if they slide out of the Vegas Bowl.

The MWC would kill for a tie in with the Holiday Bowl.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I wouldn't expect Utah fans to know this because their team sucked pond water in the 80s and 90s, but the Holiday Bowl for a while had an arrangement to take the #2 Big 10 team. Iowa in 91 and Ohio State in 93 were 1-loss teams ranked in the top 5. The Holiday Bowl already had a pretty good thing going before they left the WAC.
Just look who BYU played in 1984. Speaks volumes. In 1984 the HB was nugatory.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised so many of you are falling for this obvious trolling. No one in their right mind would call the Holiday Bowl of the '80's & '90's anything other than a VERY good bowl unless he was either 1) extremely stupid or 2) trying to get a rise out of a certain group of people.

In this case, I think it's safe to assume both.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #24
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'm surprised so many of you are falling for this obvious trolling. No one in their right mind would call the Holiday Bowl of the '80's & '90's anything other than a VERY good bowl unless he was either 1) extremely stupid or 2) trying to get a rise out of a certain group of people.

In this case, I think it's safe to assume both.
I'm not trolling. You're deluded. I guess it depends on how you define "VERY good bowl."

Holiday Bowl payout: $2,130,000; Sugar Bowl payout: $17,000,000; Feista Bowl payout: $17,000,000.

The major bowls are played on January 1 or thereafter, and have traditionally featured conference champions and, lately, non-BCS undefeateds. The Holiday was a real backwater bowl in 1984. Just look who came to play BYU. It was only six years old in 1984.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not trolling. You're deluded. I guess it depends on how you define "VERY good bowl."

Holiday Bowl payout: $2,130,000; Sugar Bowl payout: $17,000,000; Feista Bowl payout: $17,000,000.

The major bowls are played on January 1 or thereafter, and have traditionally featured conference champions and, lately, non-BCS undefeateds. The Holiday was a real backwater bowl in 1984. Just look who came to play BYU. It was only six years old in 1984.
The Holiday Bowl was a backwater bowl I would have loved to have seen the Utes play in. If only they could have won a conference championship.

The Holiday Bowl is still better than what the MWC gets. The Vegas Bowl is increasing the payout to $1,000,000; Emerald Bowl is $850,000; New Mexico Bowl $750,000; Armed Forces Bowl $600,000.

Yes, the BCS bowls are a great payday for a conference, but non-BCS teams still have to jump through the hoops that the BCS sets up in order to get there. That is the problem.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #26
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The Holiday Bowl was a backwater bowl I would have loved to have seen the Utes play in. If only they could have won a conference championship.

The Holiday Bowl is still better than what the MWC gets. The Vegas Bowl is increasing the payout to $1,000,000; Emerald Bowl is $850,000; New Mexico Bowl $750,000; Armed Forces Bowl $600,000.

Yes, the BCS bowls are a great payday for a conference, but non-BCS teams still have to jump through the hoops that the BCS sets up in order to get there. That is the problem.
Just as the Fiesta Bowl has, the Holiday Bowl has increased in stature since it separated from the WAC. That's why it separated from the WAC.

I'm not saying that before 1994 Utah's football program and tradition matched BYU's.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Troll.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This message is now revised to include the final AP rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Come on, SU. The MWC would kill to have matchups like what it got in the Holiday Bowl, and it is a big bowl today (Pac 10#2 v Big 12#3).

Here are the teams that played in the Holiday Bowl in the 80's (I am not listing WAC/MWC teams) with final AP ranking:

SMU (with Erik Dickerson) #20 v BYU #12
WSU NR v BYU #13
Ohio State #12 v BYU NR
Missouri NR v BYU #7
Michigan NR v BYU #1
Arkansas #12 v ASU NR
Iowa #16 v SDSU NR
Iowa #16 v Wyo NR
Oklahoma State #11 v Wyo NR
Penn State #15 v BYU #22

And then the 90's:

A&M #15 v BYU #22
Iowa #10 v BYU #23
Illinois NR v Hawaii #20
Ohio State #11 v BYU NR
Michigan #12 v CSU #16
Kansas State #7 v CSU NR
Colorado #8 v Washington #16
Missouri #23 v CSU #17
Nebraska #19 v Arizona #4
KSU #6 v Washington NR

And then in the 2000's:

Oregon #7 v Texas #12
Texas #5 v Washington #19
KSU #7 v ASU NR
WSU #9 v Texas #12
TTU #18 v Cal #9
OU #22 v Oregon #12
Cal #14 v A&M NR
Texas #10 v ASU #16

What are Utah's options now if they don't get into the BCS (which realistically only 1 non-BCS team can do)? Pac 10#4/5 in Vegas, or even worse if they slide out of the Vegas Bowl.

The MWC would kill for a tie in with the Holiday Bowl.

Of the 27 games listed, 14 featured ranked teams v ranked teams. 13 of the games have had at least 1 top 10 team. Top 15 teams have filled 26 of the 64 total slots. The Holiday Bowl is a very good bowl, and has been for a while. In the 80's, the WAC opponent was ranked in every single game other than 82, 84 and 85 (all games in which BYU was ranked).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote