cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #81
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
In judging the tastes of others, we could eschew Stewart for Learned Hand, who famously said, "Musical taste lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..." He actually said that, or something close to that...
Music is so personal that it is hard to criticise someone for liking any thing in particular, IMO (although some has more intrinsic value from certain objective measures).

Some years ago I read a commentary about music that stuck with me but I cant recall who wrote it. The guy said that western popular music was not as meaningful as music from most other cultures because it is all about being different, or being new, whereas other cultures emphisize getting it right. It's not about being different, its about being as good as others before you.

I have played guitar for my wife's ethnic dance group for the last decade or so and have had the chance to play with a lot of ethnic guys that know the same songs I know, but they play them with more feeling or with a little different beat or pattern or emphasis and when we play it right, when you really hit it, it is better than anything before even though it is the same thing. It is an analog to our disposable society. We use something once, then chuck it and are on to the next thing. Instead, we should try to get better at the one thing. Like Curly said, the secret of life is one thing. Maybe he was right.

This is, I think, why the blues resonates. There is probably not a single blues song that uses a progression that we don;t recognize, but a good blues song is a lot better than a bad song, even thought it is the same song. At a certain point, I lost some interest in finding the next great thing. It's not a bad pursuit, just not my pursuit. I find that I like classical music and jazz more and more, and like hearing the same piece played differently, and interpreted. I like some of the standards, and I like songs that have been tested a bit by public and expert opinion. So I guess I can't keep up with the sort of conversation you are trying to have here, but that is OK. I promise I know good music when I hear it, and I promise music will never die in my heart, and we can each say that, becasue ti is, after all, only good if it is good for us.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 AM   #82
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I did something similar, but instead of Waylon, I played one of the spooky Halloween sound effect discs, with screams, thunder and lightening, and rattling chains. The long-term effects on my children have yet to be determined.
All 4 kids at our house got very heavy doses of "Take me out to the ball game" while in the womb.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 AM   #83
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Music is so personal that it is hard to criticise someone for liking any thing in particular, IMO (although some has more intrinsic value from certain objective measures).

Some years ago I read a commentary about music that stuck with me but I cant recall who wrote it. The guy said that western popular music was not as meaningful as music from most other cultures because it is all about being different, or being new, whereas other cultures emphisize getting it right. It's not about being different, its about being as good as others before you.

I have played guitar for my wife's ethnic dance group for the last decade or so and have had the chance to play with a lot of ethnic guys that know the same songs I know, but they play them with more feeling or with a little different beat or pattern or emphasis and when we play it right, when you really hit it, it is better than anything before even though it is the same thing. It is an analog to our disposable society. We use something once, then chuck it and are on to the next thing. Instead, we should try to get better at the one thing. Like Curly said, the secret of life is one thing. Maybe he was right.

This is, I think, why the blues resonates. There is probably not a single blues song that uses a progression that we don;t recognize, but a good blues song is a lot better than a bad song, even thought it is the same song. At a certain point, I lost some interest in finding the next great thing. It's not a bad pursuit, just not my pursuit. I find that I like classical music and jazz more and more, and like hearing the same piece played differently, and interpreted. I like some of the standards, and I like songs that have been tested a bit by public and expert opinion. So I guess I can't keep up with the sort of conversation you are trying to have here, but that is OK. I promise I know good music when I hear it, and I promise music will never die in my heart, and we can each say that, becasue ti is, after all, only good if it is good for us.
My lament was for naught. There actually is no dearth of interesting music discussion here. Thanks and I agree with your take. Music is inspiring and personal to everyone in different ways.

In a small way, I can relate to your personal anecdote. Before I played any instrument, I loved music. But my perspective changed ever so slightly once I began to play a guitar (poorly). The music took on an entirely different dimension for me and I felt a slight kinship with the artist who composed whatever simple piece I was trying to "master." Now when I go to shows in small venues, I spend most of my time watching how the songs are played, as opposed to simply screaming and singing along (nothing wrong with that either). I love being close enough to see what chords are being played, if there is dropped tuning, if they use a capo, what kind of guitar is being used, what effects pedals and other equipment is being used....simple stuff like that.

I am not versed enough in jazz as I should be, esp given that it is likely America's greatest, if only, true contribution to music around the globe. I would love recommendations to check out.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #84
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
All 4 kids at our house got very heavy doses of "Take me out to the ball game" while in the womb.
This evening, my boy said, "My want to watch baseball." He isnt even 3 yet. We watched the World Series together until his bedtime.

I feel like I am raising a righteous son.

Who is your team? I am messing my kids up by raising them to love the Dodgers.

Think Blue.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #85
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:

Well said.

Music, for me, is more than just hearing the notes. I can actually feel the music when it's good. Some songs will cause goosebumps to rise on my arms and I can feel chills go down the spine. There is some music in which I actually find myself getting lost and there have been several times that my wife or one of my kids have come into my den where I'm listening and I have no idea when they entered the room.

I also believe the best music is just played. There is no set time in which it is played. The artist(s) just play how it is supposed to feel. The best example of this that I can find would be this great piece by my all time favorite, Pat Metheny:

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 AM   #86
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
This evening, my boy said, "My want to watch baseball." He isnt even 3 yet. We watched the World Series together until his bedtime.

I feel like I am raising a righteous son.

Who is your team? I am messing my kids up by raising them to love the Dodgers.

Think Blue.
My team is the Orioles. Has been since I was a wee lad of the age of 8, way back in '72. My kids are all Orioles fans too, or they can live elsewhere.

At our house, baseball is not just King, it's the entire royal court. I love football and basketball, but they exist to fill the time between October and April.

And you are raising a righteous son. Well done.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #87
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have played guitar for my wife's ethnic dance group for the last decade or so and have had the chance to play with a lot of ethnic guys that know the same songs I know, but they play them with more feeling or with a little different beat or pattern or emphasis and when we play it right, when you really hit it, it is better than anything before even though it is the same thing.
Very true, that's why I like playing chamber music. There's nothing like connecting with other musicians while playing. I once played in a free jazz session. Most of it was pretty bad (I didn't really know what I was doing), but there were moments where you could tell the musicians were really listening to each other, taking each others ideas and passing them back and forth. It was pretty cool.

For Triplet Daddy, my short list of intro to jazz are
Kind of Blue, Miles Davis-- if you're only going to own one album, this is it
The Sidewinder, Lee Morgan-- a little funk
Time Out, Dave Brubeck-- You've probably heard Take Five from this album, and the drummer (can't remember the name) is outstanding.

I know Creekster and Mpfunk could give you more suggestions.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #88
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I am quite late to the party, but I have got to put my two cents in for Urge Overkill, Morphine, Ween (which is one of my top five), Supertramp, ELO, Warren G, and Deep Purple. All considered pretty mediocre, but candy to my ears.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #89
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I am quite late to the party, but I have got to put my two cents in for Urge Overkill, Morphine, Ween (which is one of my top five), Supertramp, ELO, Warren G, and Deep Purple. All considered pretty mediocre, but candy to my ears.
It's not a party until the DetroitDad arrives. Great list!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #90
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Do Van Morrison, the Cars, and Joe Cocker count? Sometimes I really get in the mood for the broody Van Morrison and Cocker. They fit perfectly with a rainy October day.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote