cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

To the extent that Trump would adopt a somewhat more libertarian stance to foreign wards, I support that. In contrast to the neoconservatives who seem to have never met a war in the Middle East that they do not like.

The question is whether a Trump presidency would create such uncertainty and might embolden our enemies to an extent that the world is less safe and more destabilized.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #32
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To the extent that Trump would adopt a somewhat more libertarian stance to foreign wards, I support that. In contrast to the neoconservatives who seem to have never met a war in the Middle East that they do not like.

The question is whether a Trump presidency would create such uncertainty and might embolden our enemies to an extent that the world is less safe and more destabilized.
I am definitely anti-neocon, but I fear your second point is more likely under Trump. Seriously, he scares the crap out of me.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
as if anyone would need another reason not to vote for Trump:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...in-is-gay.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl

He says Trump's campaign repudiated him.

There's something pretty sketchy about a robocall that begins with announcing that are a white nationalist.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #34
BlueK

Quote:

There's something pretty sketchy about a robocall that begins with announcing that are a white nationalist.
There has been some disturbing twitter chatter recently among the white supremacist faction of wacko Trump supporters talking about Mormons should/could/would be targets for violence if it's perceived they helped Trump lose.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-03-2016 at 02:47 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #35
BlueK

Quote:

Utah isn't the first place this campaign that this guy and other white nationalists have been doing this. A couple of times Trump told him to stop, but not every time. A couple of times he's said he won't do it anymore but he's a liar obviously.

New Hampshire:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b01d80b2467122

Iowa:
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...call-for-trump

Wisconsin:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/white-nat...rump-robocalls

Not clear where this writer lives but he says he got a call in early October and recorded it. The call is obviously meant to be hokey but but the article also mentions additional states where the white nationalist robocalls have shown up.
https://medium.com/@jonathonmorgan/w...187#.i00uaeudv

My point is, whether Trump can be directly blamed for this kind of crap or not, it's not really debateable that his rhetoric has helped pull these dregs of society out from from under the rocks. And I think whether Trump truly believes the white nationalist dogmas or not, he sure as hell knows what to say to get these guys to think he's one of them.

I'd rather have Hillary.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-03-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Has it ever occurred to you that the media has an agenda in "trumping" up every single time one of these wacko groups endorses or otherwise supports Trump?

That the douche doing the robocalls in Utah gets front-page coverage is ridiculous.

Just yesterday huge blaring headlines about the KKK endorsing Trump.

Sorry that you fell for it. Another case of the media shaping the news and actually promoting the white nationalists for clicks and to support Hillary.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
BlueK

Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that the media has an agenda in "trumping" up every single time one of these wacko groups endorses or otherwise supports Trump?

That the douche doing the robocalls in Utah gets front-page coverage is ridiculous.

Just yesterday huge blaring headlines about the KKK endorsing Trump.

Sorry that you fell for it. Another case of the media shaping the news and actually promoting the white nationalists for clicks and to support Hillary.
It's not the media's fault for turning on a camera and a microphone to record the absolute garbage that comes out of Trump's filthy mouth for me to hear with my own ears and be disgusted.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
It's not the media's fault for turning on a camera and a microphone to record the absolute garbage that comes out of Trump's filthy mouth for me to hear with my own ears and be disgusted.
That is different.

Both sides do this thing called selective reporting and shaping the news. See Breitbart as an example of a "news" group supporting Trump. They constantly show stuff from very sketchy and unlikable groups and persons that support Hillary.

Bias and clickbait. That's how the "news" operates.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #39
BlueK

So now Donald Trump suddenly thinks his wife should speak publicly and she talks about cyberbullying. But I think it will backfire because it's going to focus the spotlight on himself again. Bad mistake on his part since he's the poster boy for exactly what his wife was talking against. The media is laughing at him again and pulling out all the examples of Trump cyberbullying people. One thing has been very consistent throughout the camapaign: when the focus is on Trump, Hillary goes up in the polls. T When the focus is on Hillary, Trump catches up. his makes sense when you realize these are the two most unpopular presidential candidates in the history of political polling. This may make the pendulum swing back the other way.

Also, one thing no one is talking about is Florida. While Trump was gaining in the polls in other states, Hillary actually surged ahead in Florida. She was focusing her campaign there a little more while Trump went to other places. Mathematically it's pretty much impossible for Trump to win without Florida.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-04-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #40
BlueK

This article pretty much expresses what I think. Yes, it's "the media," but if this doesn't bring up correct points, explain it away then. The problem is, if you don't like the article, pretty much everything in it is easily traceable to exact things Trump has said. Trump doesn't give a flying rat's behind about our Constitution or our freedoms. He just wants power and acclamation for himself. I don't know if there is more to it in his little mind than that. It wasn't that many years ago when some of us were concerned about George W. Bush with his Patriot Act, warrantless wiretapping, and a few other things. Some started calling Bush a fascist. That was overblown, but I don't agree with many things he did. The problem is, Trump is all of that, only at least a hundred times worse. Many think Bush wasn't a good president. He wasn't. But Trump if elected would make George W. Bush look like George Washington.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...the-abyss.html

"Some — including many who will be voting for Trump — will argue that even if the unstable, sleepless, vindictive tyrant wins on Tuesday, he will be restrained by the system when he seizes power. Let’s game this out for a moment. Over the last year, which forces in the GOP have been able to stand up to him? Even his closest aides have been unable to get him to concentrate before a debate. He set up a policy advisory apparatus and then completely ignored it until it was disbanded. His foreign-policy advisers can scarcely be found. He says he knows more than any general, any diplomat, and anyone with actual experience in government. He has declared his chief adviser to be himself. Even the criminal Richard Nixon was eventually restrained and dispatched by a Republican Establishment that still knew how to run the country and had a loyalty to broader American institutions. Such an Establishment no longer exists."

What is so striking is that this requires no interpretation, no reading of the tea leaves. Trump has told Americans all of this — again and again — in plain English. His own temperamental instability has been displayed daily and in gory detail. From time to time, you can see his poll ratings plummet as revelations that would permanently sink any other candidate have dented his appeal. And then he resiliently and unstoppably moves back up. His bond with his supporters is absolute, total, and personal. It was months ago that he boasted that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still be with him. And he was right. This is not a mark of a democratic leader; it is a mark of an authoritarian cult."

Last edited by BlueK; 11-04-2016 at 05:50 PM.