cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost premiere tonight

been waiting for this one for a while.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The Premiere was very good.

SPOILERS BELOW (if you have not seen the premiere)

I really hope they bring back the original Locke. He and Ben are the two most compelling characters. Moreover, I would love to see original Locke head to head against monster Locke.

I wish there was a way, when this is all done, that I could erase Lost from my mind, and then watch it again!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I just checked and the Japanese character is in fact the same actor who was in "Twilight Samurai." Hiroyuki Sanada. TS was a good film.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

http://http://www.theonion.com/conte...rce=videoembed
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

For those of you that like a good TV show, you should check it out.

I'm not someone like RHG that watches any garbage that comes on (she watches heaps of reality television).

My two favorite shows of recent memory (as in the past 10 years) are The Sopranos and Lost.

Why do I like Lost? [no spoilers here]. I like it because of the great writing, the great characters, the great themes, the characters' arc, the mystery and suspense, the ethical dilemmas, and the emotional intensity.

One of the great themes of the show is rationalism/intellectualism/science vs. mysticism/religion/intuition. These play out in the form of the island vs. the rest of the world. And more specifically in two of the main characters, Jack and John Locke. John Locke is one of the truly great roles to every cross the small screen. This theme resonates in my own life.

There is also the theme of loyalty versus betrayal. Another one of the great characters--Ben. A loyalty to a cause we don't fully understand, that sometimes conflicts with our own personal desires--who among us can't relate to that?

Lost is among the most psychologically minded shows on TV ever. It is very attuned to the idea that our past influences our future, that we have moral choices that will impact everyone around us.

It's just plain damn good.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For those of you that like a good TV show, you should check it out.

I'm not someone like RHG that watches any garbage that comes on (she watches heaps of reality television).

My two favorite shows of recent memory (as in the past 10 years) are The Sopranos and Lost.

Why do I like Lost? [no spoilers here]. I like it because of the great writing, the great characters, the great themes, the characters' arc, the mystery and suspense, the ethical dilemmas, and the emotional intensity.

One of the great themes of the show is rationalism/intellectualism/science vs. mysticism/religion/intuition. These play out in the form of the island vs. the rest of the world. And more specifically in two of the main characters, Jack and John Locke. John Locke is one of the truly great roles to every cross the small screen. This theme resonates in my own life.

There is also the theme of loyalty versus betrayal. Another one of the great characters--Ben. A loyalty to a cause we don't fully understand, that sometimes conflicts with our own personal desires--who among us can't relate to that?

Lost is among the most psychologically minded shows on TV ever. It is very attuned to the idea that our past influences our future, that we have moral choices that will impact everyone around us.

It's just plain damn good.
I liked the first several seasons but then Jack becomes a rather weak character in my mind and Locke who was somewhat a loser on the outside becomes too mystically strong. I didn't watch the most recent episode.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

so it got to you, huh? I just thought it was funny. Although I enjoy many trashy programs (as you point out), it seems I don't watch many that are part of the cultural dialogue. I've never seen a single minute of Lost. Maybe I will one day; I don't know. But it was all the talk everywhere I turned earlier this week.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It's good. No show that I have watched, that is about suspense and mystery, has ever been able to maintain this kind of arc, week to week, year to year.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

One thing that's been bothering me. In the episode with the mercenaries, doesn't Ben go into his basement and turn a lever that activates the Smoke Monster?

Is that a Dharma thing, an Others thing, or a Pyramid People thing? If Ben worked for Jacob all those years, it would seem to imply that the smoke monster was part of Jacob's side, but still always wanted to kill him.

I'm a little confused, but in love with the show.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If any of you want to start and catch up on Lost, I recommend getting Netflix and doing the instant viewing thing over the internet. You can watch on your computer, or if you have the right setup (Xbox360, PS3, or other device) you can watch on your TV.

Tonight will be bliss.