cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Thanksgiving Day menus and traditions

OK folks, looking for interesting ideas for the upcoming feast and holiday. Food is a BIG deal in my family....a HUGE deal. So Thanksgiving is almost like my Christmas, truthfully. The entire weekend is dedicated to gorging myself.

Also, T-Day weekend is always for traditional activities.

Everyone please feel free to comment or share your T-Day menu and planned gigs. I am sure we have a nice variety here.

For menu, my grandmother is....er....ethnic, so we have always grown up eating some non-traditional side dishes as part of our holiday meals.

Menu

1. Turkey
2. homemade stuffing: lately we are doing a sausage, apple, cranberry recipe that is de-lish!
3. mashed potatoes: has to be real, not instant. We use cream cheese, chopped eggs, and hints of green onions in ours. lovely.
4. Gravy from pan drippings.....very low-fat, indeed
5. homemade rolls
6. cranberry sauce: made from real cranberries. We do not do the canned goo.
7. Corn on the cob
8. Red rice
9. pinto beans (don't ask)
10. Salad: my wife makes different kinds, but lately our favorite is this really yummy spinach salad with strawberries, carmelized almonds and other stuff.
11. Deviled eggs for apps......we always make egg boats as apps for any family get-together
12. homemade bean dip and chips as apps....again, don't ask, just tradition
13. Dessert: pies, pies and more pies.....pumpkin, peach, banana cream and coconut cream, and pecan are the usual faves, but I love all pies except the chocolate pudding crap. Any fruit pies are ok by me. Also, mince. Yum! truthfully, pumpkin is great, but not my first choice. I would rather have others first, but pumpkin is a must for T-Day.

Activities

1. At some point over the weekend we take in a new movie. This time it looks like we have all agreed on Quantum of Solace. Excited for that one. We are taking the kids to the sneak of Bolt this weekend, so that won't be on the manu for T-Day weekend.
2. Turkey Bowl at the stake center or local park. I try to go, depends on whether my wife needs my help at 7AM.
3. My family ALWAYS plays trivia games after the meal.....trivial pursuit, you dont know jack, etc....whatever the latest trivia game is, we wind up playing it. One of us is in charge of buying the latest and greatest before the get-together and bringing it with us. This is always lots of fun.
4. Football......depends on who is playing that weekend. This year, Notre Dame is playing at SC, so my brother and I will be heading off to that most of Saturday. We are taking my mom, but it is a surprise right now. It is an all-day tailgate, so most of the fam will show up at one point or another during the day.
5. Thanksgiving night ice cream: that night, we have root beer floats, sundaes, whatever you want. Lots of ice cream, toppings, etc.. tradition.

Can't wait. Only a few weeks away.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Menu

1. Turkey
2. homemade stuffing: lately we are doing a sausage, apple, cranberry recipe that is de-lish!
3. mashed potatoes: has to be real, not instant. We use cream cheese, chopped eggs, and hints of green onions in ours. lovely.
5. homemade rolls
6. cranberry sauce: made from real cranberries. We do not do the canned
Interesting idea. We just might give this a shot this year.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

more mind games.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

We always do Thanksgiving at my wife's parents' home with her family.

Our menu:

turkey
mashed potatoes (real)
stuffing
gravy from drippings
homemade cranberry sauce
sweet potatoes (the only time I actually eat marshmallows)
green salad
potato salad
jell-o salad
enchiladas (something my mother-in-law always makes)
celery with various cheese spreads
homemade rolls
pies (sweet potato; apple; lemon meringue; banana cream; coconut cream)

Activites:

watch tv
darts
chuck snowballs at the squirrels in the big oak tree in the backyard

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I have no idea where I'm eating Thanksgiving this year.

Last year it was our side of the familys turn.

I'm the only local one who isn't married and doesn't have a kid....and this year is when they all go to the other side of the family.

I think I'll get drunk.

On the bright side my Birthday is on Thanksgiving once every few years or so...but not this year.

TripleD I'd love the Stuffing with the Sausage Recipe.

Dallas always plays on Thanksgiving so I get to watch that.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i hate turkey. i keep trying to get wife to change menu, but she has a firm hand.

stove top stuffing only for us. i once had the nasty stuff that was shoved up the turkey's butt. ohh, that is nasty.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
i hate turkey. i keep trying to get wife to change menu, but she has a firm hand.

stove top stuffing only for us. i once had the nasty stuff that was shoved up the turkey's butt. ohh, that is nasty.
You are one strange cat.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Leg of lamb (medium rare with garlic cloves embedded;

red potatos roasted with garlic and olive oil;

brussel sprouts lightly steamed, split and sateed with bacon bits (real), a little bacon fat, butter, cider vinegar, and a spot of sugar and onions;

a good cab.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Nobody does a Green Bean Casserole? I love that stuff.

Our menu is mostly the same as the above. Occasionally we've thrown in a leg of lamb (to placate the mostly Greek woman I married) or a standing rib roast to shake things up.

Someone always brings a puzzle which we spread out on a card table in a corner and work on as a family. People pass through and spend a half hour here and there on it. It's usually done by the end of the weekend.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
OK folks, looking for interesting ideas for the upcoming feast and holiday. Food is a BIG deal in my family....a HUGE deal. So Thanksgiving is almost like my Christmas, truthfully. The entire weekend is dedicated to gorging myself.

Also, T-Day weekend is always for traditional activities.

Everyone please feel free to comment or share your T-Day menu and planned gigs. I am sure we have a nice variety here.

For menu, my grandmother is....er....ethnic, so we have always grown up eating some non-traditional side dishes as part of our holiday meals.

Menu

1. Turkey
5. homemade rolls
6. cranberry sauce: made from real cranberries. We do not do the canned goo.
7. Corn on the cob
8. Red rice
9. pinto beans (don't ask)
10. Salad: my wife makes different kinds, but lately our favorite is this really yummy spinach salad with strawberries, carmelized almonds and other stuff.
11. Deviled eggs for apps......we always make egg boats as apps for any family get-together
12. homemade bean dip and chips as apps....again, don't ask, just tradition
13. Dessert: pies, pies and more pies.....pumpkin, peach, banana cream and coconut cream, and pecan are the usual faves, but I love all pies except the chocolate pudding crap. Any fruit pies are ok by me. Also, mince. Yum! truthfully, pumpkin is great, but not my first choice. I would rather have others first, but pumpkin is a must for T-Day.

Activities

1. At some point over the weekend we take in a new movie. This time it looks like we have all agreed on Quantum of Solace. Excited for that one. We are taking the kids to the sneak of Bolt this weekend, so that won't be on the manu for T-Day weekend.
2. Turkey Bowl at the stake center or local park. I try to go, depends on whether my wife needs my help at 7AM.
3. My family ALWAYS plays trivia games after the meal.....trivial pursuit, you dont know jack, etc....whatever the latest trivia game is, we wind up playing it. One of us is in charge of buying the latest and greatest before the get-together and bringing it with us. This is always lots of fun.
4. Football......depends on who is playing that weekend. This year, Notre Dame is playing at SC, so my brother and I will be heading off to that most of Saturday. We are taking my mom, but it is a surprise right now. It is an all-day tailgate, so most of the fam will show up at one point or another during the day.
5. Thanksgiving night ice cream: that night, we have root beer floats, sundaes, whatever you want. Lots of ice cream, toppings, etc.. tradition.

Can't wait. Only a few weeks away.
How can you possibly wait for Thanksgiving to see Quantum of Solace?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote