cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Know any good places to eat in Honolulu?

In Honolulu for the week sans wife and kids. I have a car. Any restaurants I don't want to miss?

I prefer mom and pop hole-in-the-wall joints with killer food over a "fine dining" experience.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
In Honolulu for the week sans wife and kids. I have a car. Any restaurants I don't want to miss?

I prefer mom and pop hole-in-the-wall joints with killer food over a "fine dining" experience.
Go to the north shore and bring home some grass from Kahuku High, sort of a Cougar football shrine IMO. Eat at Giovanni's shrimp shack. Big bus, can't miss it right at the edge of the shrimp farms.

Don't have the spicy shrimp. It made me cry, the garlic ones are spectacular.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate threads like this. You may as well ask whether I have any tips for making love to Scarlet Johansson.

Bastard.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

There is a section not too far from Waikiki that had some excellent Korean restuarants if you are into Korean BBQ. There is a good Korean rest. just across the street from the convention center that was quite good.

There is a good ramen noodle shop in the middle of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Be warned: the bowls are huge.

There is a decent Thai place across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There is a little vietnamese place just around the corner that had lots of good reviews online, but I didn't get a chance to try it.

We had pretty good luck just randomly dropping into the small neighborhood curry/sushi/ramen shops scattered around town. I can't remember where they were, but most were quite good.

Have fun!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

The Hawaiians I'm with took me to some crappy Chinese restaurant for lunch - yuck.

For dinner tonight I went to Ono Hawaiian Foods and had the combo plate: Kalua Pig, Laulau, Pipikaula, Lomi Salmon, Haupia. It was pretty good. I also had a side of Poke Ahi which was good but not as good as I had anticipated.

I had shrimp on the North Shore back in 2006. It was great but I'm not really interested in driving all the way to the North Shore this trip.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The problem I found with eating in hawaii is that the crappy places really served pretty crappy food.

There are only so many noodle bowls and moco locos I could eat before it got boring.

I am a sucker for Leonard's hot malasadas, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I heard a food expert say on NPR the other day that Honolulu is the no. 1 Asian food city in the world. He said it tops even Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul. I've been in all those places and they're worth visiting just for the food, so I find that hard to believe. But that's what I heard from an expert. So I'd eat Asian, because I love Asian.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I heard a food expert say on NPR the other day that Honolulu is the no. 1 Asian food city in the world. He said it tops even Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul. I've been in all those places and they're worth visiting just for the food, so I find that hard to believe. But that's what I heard from an expert. So I'd eat Asian, because I love Asian.
I said crappy food because BFM wanted to eat at holes in the wall.

Honolulu is fantastic if you are expense accoutning your meals.

But few cities rnak top 10 for cheap, hole in the wall eats. My point was that as far as bad food goes, honolulu bad food gets old really fast, because it is all asian/poly....noodle bowls, etc.. You dont get mexican or BBQ in hawaii.....because that kind of food just doesnt even really exist there.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote