cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I went up the mountain the other day with a friend to help him cut his way into an area where the road was closed by a bunch of blow down. The forest service hadn't yet sent a crew in to clear the road and he "needed" to get there right then. Basically it was just an excuse for him to buy a new chainsaw and for us to get out in the hills, drink beer and destroy things in a semi-productive cause.

As far as tools go there's not much that's manlier than a chain saw.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Chain saws are manly. I get mine out once in a while just to replenish the testosterone.

My father would argue that a post digger is the only tool more manly than a chainsaw.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
1. Jackhammer
2. Chainsaw
3. Welder
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
1. Jackhammer
2. Chainsaw
3. Welder
How about an axe?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I went up the mountain the other day with a friend to help him cut his way into an area where the road was closed by a bunch of blow down. The forest service hadn't yet sent a crew in to clear the road and he "needed" to get there right then. Basically it was just an excuse for him to buy a new chainsaw and for us to get out in the hills, drink beer and destroy things in a semi-productive cause.

In my fair state you'd be regarded in Michael Vick's class.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

SU, I'd be worried about the roots and what they might do to the house. Three feet is awfully close and when you consider that the root system is generally as large and wide as the branches well, you have to figure some of them are going to be trying to make their way into your home through the foundation.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
SU, I'd be worried about the roots and what they might do to the house. Three feet is awfully close and when you consider that the root system is generally as large and wide as the branches well, you have to figure some of them are going to be trying to make their way into your home through the foundation.
I reject this advice as I'm in denial. I talked to a guy today who is going to do some work for us in our yard and sold us some fertilizer, and he told me the house is not a worry with this species. It's just that I'll have to disfigure the tree as I keep pruning it.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In my fair state you'd be regarded in Michael Vick's class.
You know Washington and the whole Northwest used to be cool. Now it's just as pussy as California, probably because of all the Calis up there. I don't know how you put up with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I reject this advice as I'm in denial. I talked to a guy today who is going to do some work for us in our yard and sold us some fertilizer, and he told me the house is not a worry with this species. It's just that I'll have to disfigure the tree as I keep pruning it.

You know, you can get that fertilizer stuff down at the Home Depot if you want to sa ve a few bucks.

You may be right about the root system of this aprticaulr tree (and based on your commetns in this thread and I can see why one would have great confidence in your botanical conclusions) but it just sounds too close to the house to me. ALso, it may be a fire hazard and, finally, do you have roof rats in your area? Roof rats can be a problem so make sure you keep your attic vents properly sealed.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

We have a nice Norwegian Maple growing in front of our house. Our home faces the west so it is starting to provide some shade for the hot summer afternoons. But it is growing very slowly. In the meantime, we notice a few years ago (3-4) that a wild tree had taken root next to our house (2-3 feet from the foundation) on the same side. It grew like crazy and we decided to just let it go for a bit and see what happens. I can't remember the name but it has big fern-like leaves and provides excellent shade. I keep lopping off the branches that grow towards the house so that it maintains some separation from my roof and soffit. It now shades the entire corner of the house and the two rooms on that side are much cooler in the evenings than they used to be.

We have a neighbor who is a tree expert. He has more than 30 species of trees in his yard and knows more on trees and gardening than anyone I have ever met. He came over a while back and we asked him if he thought we should cut down the tree. He said that as long as we keep it pruned such that it doesn't rest on the house or bump against it, it should be fine. He recommended that we keep it around until the maple is big enough to take over the shade duties.