cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 10-12-2016, 04:07 AM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mormons Media Darlings Recently for anti-Trumpism

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...o-trump-229347
Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I would love for the big story after an embarrassing Trump defeat to be that he couldn't even win in Utah.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
BlueK

New poll in Utah just released today:

Trump and Clinton tied at only 26% each. McMullin 22%, Johnson 14%.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...rs.html?pg=all
Old 10-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
BlueK

Now the question is when will the small minded, thin-skinned Trump make his anti-mormon tirade? Most likely when his poll numbers in Utah get even worse. It will happen over the next few weeks at a rally somewhere in the south packed with lots of "evangelicals" and they'll love it. Fits perfectly with his new "shore up the base" strategy.

Trump, go burn in hell.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-12-2016 at 06:12 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

McMullin wins Utah, Johnson wins New Mexico, and we can send this to the House.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
McMullin wins Utah, Johnson wins New Mexico, and we can send this to the House.
Given the developments of the last few days, I think Hillary's on a clear path to 270 even if NM and UT go 3rd party.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This political season is beyond despairing to me.

The GOP has nominated the worst candidate in recent memory, and is cannibalizing itself.

The GOP may lose the Senate and the House.

The heir apparent is hostile to (i) markets, (ii) reasonable levels of taxation, (iii) most personal liberties, (iv) moderate to conservative judges, (v) reasonable foreign affairs, (vi) small business and wants a progressive interventionist policy of social reengineering.

The GOP has a dunderhead.

The point many of my friends and intellectuals make is, (a) the adversary will be Obama 2.0 who they claim wasn't so horrible (I disagree about his deficit and debt approach, and almost everything else), (b) just grin and bear it, or (c) drink heavily and often.

None of these options suit me well.

Gary Johnson has some upside, but can't win, but even he has weaknesses. Politics only has the capacity to make one unhappy and displeased with one's circumstances.

Voting for the top of the ticket is the most emotional aspect as that person in most instances has the least impact on a voter. For all the doom and gloom of Trump or Clinton, most of that person's acts will have minimal impact on us in the short term, though policies may impact us in the long term.

Hillary's tax policies will diminish business returns and capital investment. Her attack on inheritances is ironic given her penchant for building up an inheritance. A 65% inheritance tax is incomprehensibly large.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The GOP has nominated the worst candidate in recent memory, and is cannibalizing itself.

The GOP may lose the Senate and the House.

The heir apparent is hostile to (i) markets, (ii) reasonable levels of taxation, (iii) most personal liberties, (iv) moderate to conservative judges, (v) reasonable foreign affairs, (vi) small business and wants a progressive interventionist policy of social reengineering.

The GOP has a dunderhead.
Trump is not only a dunderhead. He's also almost everything you said about Hillary.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hillary's tax policies will diminish business returns and capital investment. Her attack on inheritances is ironic given her penchant for building up an inheritance. A 65% inheritance tax is incomprehensibly large.
So is a 45% tariff. Hillary's policies may keep the economy slow. Trump's would usher in instant recession or depression. Most Americans can't afford 45% higher prices at the store. The economy would tank almost overnight. I don't want either to win.

On the foreign front, I'm also sick of our interventionist war mongering ways, but Trump has promised more or less the same thing in the middle east and also presents the very real danger on top of that of hanging out on twitter at 3am insulting foreign leaders while at the controls of our nuclear arsenal. I mean, who wouldn't want our President up at 3am insulting the Chinese for no apparent reason while our ships pass through the S. China Sea? While this scenario is completely ridiculous to have to consider with a president of the US, it's shockingly realistic with a nutcase like Trump.

What a tragedy. Hillary would have been very easy to defeat had the stupid GOP nominated someone who isn't severely mentally ill on top of already being a disgusting piece of crap.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-15-2016 at 01:11 AM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote