cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Utah is a poor state. It didn't sink in until years after I moved away from Salt Lake and took my second wife there, the first time she'd been there. Such experiences give you new eyes. Much of it is pretty oppressive and run down and quite hopeless, frankly, if not utterly banal.

WHat are you talking about? This is one of the more ridiculous sweeping generalizations you have come up with so far, and you have more than a few. Like you I am from Utah. Like you I have lived overseas both on a mission as well as while growing up. Like you I have lived almost my entiore adult life outside of Utah. I also only occasionally return there but I can't fathom what you're talking about here. Oppressive, run down and hopeless? Please. I assume you forgot your smiley face or else you are just tryign to get a rise out of someone like me.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know, I visit the Central District other traditionally downtrodden areas of Seattle not infrequently and I don't get the same feeling of dead end quality that I get in similar areas in Salt Lake. For one thing, often there is a high degree of cultural diversity and energy, even exoticism, including a fairly high immigrant population.
You sound a lot like a guy who posted on Cougarboard awhile back, Catblue.

He was an intelligent guy who most of the time made sense from his perspective. Every once in a while though he would go off into the wilderness spouting some mumbly jumbly bull crap. You remind me of him.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Crappy pay
2. Larger than average family size, requiring larger homes and other related increased costs
3. Tithing

I think Utahns are living on a thinner income margin than most Americans. That puts them in a position where adverse financial events can put them into bankruptcy faster than the average Joe.

That doesn't absolve the 'keeping up with the Joneses' group, which exist in every subpopulation, but I think there are a non-trivial number of people that are at risk given the 3 items above.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
creekster

Quote:
The data says Utah incomes are among the lowest in the nation.
Really? What 'data'? Are you talking about per capita income? Does it adjust for family size?

This is an example of you finding what you are lookign for.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You sound a lot like a guy who posted on Cougarboard awhile back, Catblue.

He was an intelligent guy who most of the time made sense from his perspective. Every once in a while though he would go off into the wilderness spouting some mumbly jumbly bull crap. You remind me of him.
It takes 30 minutes for the pills to fully enter the bloodstream. I think we just caught him in the middle of one of those moments of clarity.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1. Crappy pay
2. Larger than average family size, requiring larger homes and other related increased costs
3. Tithing

I think Utahns are living on a thinner income margin than most Americans. That puts them in a position where adverse financial events can put them into bankruptcy faster than the average Joe.

That doesn't absolve the 'keeping up with the Joneses' group, which exist in every subpopulation, but I think there are a non-trivial number of people that are at risk given the 3 items above.
Tithing and having large families are what members are counseled to do. They should be blessed for following the counsel, not hurt.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The data says Utah incomes are among the lowest in the nation.
Probably when you last lived there. Not anymore. Utah is currently 18 in median HH income according to the Census Bureau. That said, I'd still rather live in Texas.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...US-30&-_sse=on
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Tithing and having large families are what members are counseled to do. They should be blessed for following the counsel, not hurt.
That's not my department. Take it up with someone else. :-P
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Probably when you last lived there. Not anymore. Utah is currently 18 in median HH income according to the Census Bureau. That said, I'd still rather live in Texas.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...US-30&-_sse=on
Is there a good study somewhere that shows median per capita income, adjusted for cost of living by state?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
creekster

Quote:

Proving that one must follow all counsel, which includes living within your means.