cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #61
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
you mentioned about the nonreligious reasons to remain attached to the culture ...
i am hardly struggling to realise what would really remian of being a shia and yet not believing in god culturally? you probably meant iranian cultural right? if the answer is yes..i am sure they could enjoy being iranian without being called shia .
No, within cultures, as long as one says, "I'm Muslim, I grew up Shia," one belongs and even an observant Shia will respect that person more than, "I used to be Shia, but now I reject it."

Sociologically, and psychologically, humans have needs to belong, even if one intellectually does not belong. Thus it is a sociological and cultural relationship.

My guess most religionists are light believers, not disbelievers, or agnostic but culturally affiliated.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-20-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #62
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No, within cultures, as long as one says, "I'm Muslim, I grew up Shia," one belongs and even an observant Shia will respect that person more than, "I used to be Shia, but now I reject it."

Sociologically, and psychologically, humans have needs to belong, even if one intellectually does not belong. Thus it is a sociological and cultural relationship.

My guess most religionists are light believers, not disbelievers, or agnostic but culturally affiliated.
granted ,but dont you think they simply arenot willing to take the religious responsibilities while like to benefit the religion culturally ?

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 10-31-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #63
Archaea

[quote=mindfulcoug;92103]
Quote:

My guess most religionists are light believers, not disbelievers, or agnostic but culturally affiliated.[/QUOT

granted ,but dont you think they simply arenot willing to take the religious responsibilities while like to benefit the religion culturally ?
No, not always. I think sometimes they are indifferent as to the religious aspects but identify with the cultural aspects and are afraid of the impact upon their community by leaving.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #64
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
No, not always. I think sometimes they are indifferent as to the religious aspects but identify with the cultural aspects and are afraid of the impact upon their community by leaving.
indifferent to the religious aspects but interested to get cultural support ..eh?
well it is quite tempting for me to think why shouldnot those educated/intellectual people come to help thier people culturally .let me put it in this way ..most of wrong deeds in islam remarks lack of decent culture ,so why not those people who are carrying just shia/muslim name come to creat a better culture instead of blindly following the culture which they are not even pleased with. being indifferent is just a failure in my opinion.

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 10-31-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #65
Archaea

Quote:

indifferent to the religious aspects but interested to get cultural support ..eh?
well it is quite tempting for me to think why shouldnot those educated/intellectual people come to help thier people culturally .let me put it in this way ..most of wrong deeds in islam remarks lack of decent culture ,so why not those people who are carrying just shia/muslim name come to creat a better culture instead of blindly following the culture which they are not even pleased with. being indifferent is just a failure in my opinion.
I don't understand the question.

Yet, you who are of reasonable, if not superior education, believe in harming another just based on his words. That is an anathema to those of us in the west, save but a few, Tex and his mullahs.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #66
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
I don't understand the question.

Yet, you who are of reasonable, if not superior education, believe in harming another just based on his words. That is an anathema to those of us in the west, save but a few, Tex and his mullahs.
am i am destroying anyone's spirit in here ..should i stop it ?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #67
Archaea

Quote:
am i am destroying anyone's spirit in here ..should i stop it ?
You have no ability to destroy our spirits without us consenting. It's just the odd fatwa concept that is alien to the West. It seems barbarous fashioned when men and women lived as slaves and lived without law.