cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 02-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #21
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
As a father of 3 girls here in the great state of texas I find this to be disturbing on one hand and kind of a relief on the other.

Disturbing:
- Why an executive order? I would want to look real close at the safety profile of this vaccination. Is it a live vaccine or just an antigen? Don't really know that much. How effective is the vaccine? Does the risks outweight the benefit?

Relief:
- It is always a concern about teaching my girls about birthcontrol. You teach them correct principles, chastity and virtue... Then you qualify it with, just in case don't forget to make him wear a glove? Or, oh, by the way get this vaccine just in case?
- When I was discussing this with my wife, the way I would approach the vaccine is that you don't know who she is going to marry. She might marry someone who joined the church later on or someone who made past mistakes and has since turned their life around. That person can still, unwittingly, pass along HPV and put her at risk.
- This takes the decision out of my hands and she gets the vaccine, well, because the State says so.
So you are absolutely sure your daughters will never have sex outside of an LDS church marriage, and their husbands also? I think there are many cases of Bishops' daughters getting pregnant. And you are willing to risk that they could eventually get cancer if they happen to get into a bad relationship?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
So you are absolutely sure your daughters will never have sex outside of an LDS church marriage, and their husbands also? I think there are many cases of Bishops' daughters getting pregnant. And you are willing to risk that they could eventually get cancer if they happen to get into a bad relationship?
He addressed that in his 2nd point about "relief". At least about the girls' future husbands anyway.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
you seem to forget that people who get regular gyn care rarely get cancer (due to pap smears).

it's the people that don't get regular care that are much more likely to get cancer.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-04-2007 at 06:42 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default The male cervix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think it would be unprecendented to mandate a vaccine to prevent a disease (cervical cancer) you (males) cannot get.
Perhaps I do not understand the vaccine. I thought it prevented HPV, the leading cause of cervical cancer. I didn't think it prevented cervical cancer. Men/boys, as far as I understand, get HPV too and if they were vaccinated it would also protect the women/girls who would be having sex with them.

This is from the CDC:

It is possible that vaccinating males will have health benefits for them by preventing genital warts and rare cancers, such as penile and anal cancer. It is also possible that vaccinating boys/men will have indirect health benefits for girls/women. Studies are now being done to find out if the vaccine works to prevent HPV infection and disease in males. When more information is available, this vaccine may be licensed and recommended for boys/men as well.

BTW: Thanks for enlightening me... And all these years I thought men had cervixes too.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure require a vaccination for boys to prevent genital warts.

They'll never be able to prove that this will prevent penile and anal cancer IMO, because the disease is too rare. So it is just speculation.

But your argument was that men should be vaccinated to prevent disease in women. I am saying that it is unprecedented to give someone a vaccine when it won't prevent disease in that person (outside of genital warts).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #26
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I know. I know. Because we get pregnant... Because we have cervixes...

We take all the responsibility. All the time.