cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Is that what happened? I don't think so; in fact I'm pretty certain that is not what happened exactly. However, it would be awfully easy for a reporter to make just such a connection without actual evidence to support the supposition.

And therein lies the dilemma ... school administrators should've been wise enough to avoid being susceptible to the insinuation in the first place.
In the actual Globe article, ( [http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...aders/?page=1] ) it stated that "Globe reporters observed Romney's representatives enter and leave chuch headquarters for the meeting." (Page 1 of the column, paragraph 5)

Globe reporters saw Romney's people enter church headquarters? And they then interview a few people and come up with this tripe? Kind of a huge stretch on their part, IMO.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yeah but the machinery of Harvard is used by liberal candidates, and especially the liberal professors go out of their way to support them. So professors with a more conservative agenda are supposed to remain quiet?

Official capacity should be neutral but the expectation that only liberal, radicals are allowed political activity is offensive.
If it happens at Harvard (to the extent things appear to be officially sanctioned by the university) it would be wrong too. It is even more wrong at BYU, however, where many members then wonder if the actual directive is coming from the church as opposed to a mere university. I would have to say, if I received an email from 2 different deans at BYU urging me to vote for Romney, I would wonder if the message was tacitly approved by the Board of Trustees (and, thus, church leadership).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Amen and amen. When at Marist, in a political discussion that was not related to the class (Psycology 101) I mentioned that I had voted (by absentee ballot) for Reagan in the '84 election, I was immediately bombarded with ridicule, scorn and insults from other students and the instructor. It got to the point that a week later after enduring snide comments every day from the instructor that I finally dropped the class and filed a complaint with the department head which he deemed not that big a deal.

Now, I agree that those at BYU who did this shouldn't use their position at a university to do so. However, the Globe is a liberal newspaper that is using it's position in the world of journalism to bitch about a Republican's religious affiliation which violates their nonexistent neutrality ethic, which, IMO, is no better than the weenies at BYU.
That, while inappropriate as well, is still not on the same level as having two deans from the business school write students from their school account urging them to vote for a Republican.

BTW, ridicule and scorn happen at BYU all the time too. Have you ever given a "liberal" opinion during class at BYU?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
In the actual Globe article, ( [http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...aders/?page=1] ) it stated that "Globe reporters observed Romney's representatives enter and leave chuch headquarters for the meeting." (Page 1 of the column, paragraph 5)

Globe reporters saw Romney's people enter church headquarters? And they then interview a few people and come up with this tripe? Kind of a huge stretch on their part, IMO.
I don't think what happened is as bad as what the Globe says (which is why I linked to the DNews article which explains some of the discrepancies).

BUT, it appears uncontested that two BYU deans did write people from their school account urging them to vote for Romney. Read my first post for my thoughts on that issue.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
lol...blaming it on BYU people and the church. That's classically funny. Even for you Hoya.

Just once try and show you're above petty mud slinging.

The liberal Boston Globe of course had nothing whatsoever to do with it, by deliberately telling half truths and stoking this fire.

What I'm amazed at is how many people get suckered by this kind of sensationalistic journalism.

Romney consulted with Church leaders. So what? Whoopdefreaking do.
Don't just react emotionally. Try to think this through a bit.

Imagine that it was Samuelson who sent out the email to people urging them to vote for a certain candidate. Now imagine the candidate was Nancy Pelosi. Would Samuelson still have a job? Probably not. And why? Because it would appear that he was speaking on behalf of the university (even if he wasn't).

People in positions of authority at large institutions MUST be cognizant of how their messages will be interpreted.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4540194

MANY people (including many conservative Mormons) think the deans did something wrong here, not just liberal hoya.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 10-24-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I don't think what happened is as bad as what the Globe says (which is why I linked to the DNews article which explains some of the discrepancies).

BUT, it appears uncontested that two BYU deans did write people from their school account urging them to vote for Romney. Read my first post for my thoughts on that issue.
Yes, yes, I understand the dilema, however please give graduates of the repective programs more credit to think for themselves, to see an endorsement (if in fact that's what it can be called) for what it is ... the personal opinion of the Dean, and not directive from Salt Lake.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you wish for us to say?

Do you wish for us to fall upon our swords and state these heinous BYU individuals should all be gassed because they sent out emails from work?

Do you wish we would execute all conservatives so there'd only be liberals? But then again who'd be around to tax to pay for your useless, expensive government programs?

Would it have been more perfect if they'd not emailed from work? Stating the obvious. You beat an anti-conservative drum so often, it's no longer effective.

Perhaps the Globe will make a mountain out of this moehill, but it is but a moehill.

Romney's chances of doing anything are so minimal, it makes sense his people might speak with persons logically more inclined to support him than going to Harvard and asking for Harvard's support. How that university offers it, is the choice of the university or its members.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
Don't just react emotionally. Try to think this through a bit.

Imagine that it was Samuelson who sent out the email to people urging them to vote for a certain candidate. Now imagine the candidate was Nancy Pelosi. Would Samuelson still have a job? Probably not. And why? Because it would appear that he was speaking on behalf of the university (even if he wasn't).

People in positions of authority at large institutions MUST be cognizant of how their messages will be interpreted.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4540194

MANY people (including many conservative Mormons) think the deans did something wrong here, not just liberal hoya.
My reaction isn't wrought out of emotion. If anything it's the people who're obviously over-reacting here who aren't able to hide their biased thinking that spawn their bizarre emotional reactions to this.

If anything, I'm laughing at the people who get suckered by this sensationalism. It exposes their inability to be rational.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What do you wish for us to say?

Do you wish for us to fall upon our swords and state these heinous BYU individuals should all be gassed because they sent out emails from work?

Do you wish we would execute all conservatives so there'd only be liberals? But then again who'd be around to tax to pay for your useless, expensive government programs?

Would it have been more perfect if they'd not emailed from work? Stating the obvious. You beat an anti-conservative drum so often, it's no longer effective.

Perhaps the Globe will make a mountain out of this moehill, but it is but a moehill.

Romney's chances of doing anything are so minimal, it makes sense his people might speak with persons logically more inclined to support him than going to Harvard and asking for Harvard's support. How that university offers it, is the choice of the university or its members.
??? So from my remarks that sending the emails was inappropriate, you gathered that I want all conservatives executed?

Once again, this is not a conservative/liberal issue. As I asked Rocky, what would you think if the tables were turned and it was Samuelson sending an email to support Pelosi? Answer how you would feel about such a situation and your answer should be the same for this situation.

BTW, the "university" CAN'T legally offer its support. Its members can, but not in their capacity as representatives of the university.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 10-24-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I no longer give a crap what Samuelson does as he doesn't appear to be benefitting the university.

I no longer expect politicians to be moral, just consistent in their voting.

I don't care if somebody sends out an email to friends. Obviously if somebody in authority sent out an email that looked authoritative, I'd inquire further, especially if it didn't agree with my views. But, I wouldn't get excised about it. Leaders and administrators do stupid things.