cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This does seem to be little more than stirring for the purposes of stirring.

Do you expect our air defenses to keep track of every aircraft (including, for example, ultra-lights, homemade fixed wing, private fixed wing, helicopters and so forth) at all locations and at all altitutdes at all times? Even if being tracked by radar a small plane disappearing from a scope in urban areas means only that it is not giving a signal, but radar doesn't say it ran into a building or that it was full of explosives. NORAD was designed to protect us from the commies who were going to be coming over the horizon. It was not desinged to protet us from a small aircraft piloted by a beginner who apparently could do little else other than hit the broad side of a barn. Especially if the impact is in a media saturated area like NYC, the earliest reports of a plane hitting a building are likely to be on TV or radio. Should NORAD wait for official channel reports beofore reacting or, if NORAD sees somethign on CNN should it act? I think your expectations are unreasonable.
I expect them to be aware of airplanes flying at 500 feet over Manhattan, yes. Once they find that airplane (whose flight plan could NOT have included flying at 500 feet over Manhattan) going outside of their flight plan, I would expect them to immediately respond rather than wait for crash reports on tv.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I expect them to be aware of airplanes flying at 500 feet over Manhattan, yes. Once they find that airplane (whose flight plan could NOT have included flying at 500 feet over Manhattan) going outside of their flight plan, I would expect them to immediately respond rather than wait for crash reports on tv.
Planes flying on VFR DON'T file flight plans, only IFR requires a flight plan. That's small plane pilots, even they are instrument rated, often fly VFR. I would not be surprised if there are some restrictions regarding Manhattan, but you do not appear to be a pilot, nor familiar with flight procedures, air traffic control or reasonable expectations in this arena.

Hoya, in terms of air security, it appears you're out of your league, because your expectations are NOT reasonable.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The fact that an airplane crashed into another building in NYC or the fact that the guy in charge of North American defense didn't know anything was going on until he saw a report of the crash on television?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-11-19-07-01

Exactly what purpose are radar and our other detection devices serving? Perhaps we should just have the media patrol the skies...
According to CBS news, the aircraft was not required to be in contact with air traffic control because it was flying under VFR (visual flight rules).

I don't see how this has anything to do with whoever is in charge of North American defense, but it seems that the FAA needs to change some policies on flights of small aircraft.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
According to CBS news, the aircraft was not required to be in contact with air traffic control because it was flying under VFR (visual flight rules).

I don't see how this has anything to do with whoever is in charge of North American defense, but it seems that the FAA needs to change some policies on flights of small aircraft.
Why?

The FAA has plenty to do, and making flight more difficult for small planes and pilots shouldn't be one of them.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #15
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Planes flying on VFR DON'T file flight plans, only IFR requires a flight plan. That's small plane pilots, even they are instrument rated, often fly VFR. I would not be surprised if there are some restrictions regarding Manhattan, but you do not appear to be a pilot, nor familiar with flight procedures, air traffic control or reasonable expectations in this arena.

Hoya, in terms of air security, it appears you're out of your league, because your expectations are NOT reasonable.
I am frequently out of my league. But perhaps we have identified yet another area of Archaea's expertise? I can't keep track of them all.

I have been to Manhattan countless times. I have yet to see an airplane flying at 500 feet over the city. I am unaware of any airport on Manhattan itself that a small plane would take off from, leading me to conclude it took off from outside of Manhattan and then flew over the city. This happens dozens of times a week in DC. Whenever it does happen, they first attempt radio contact, then respond with fighter jets. On occasion, the plane gets close to important areas in DC and evacuation procedures take place at those venues. This is extremely rare, though, because the communication and fighter jets usually produces the retreat of the aircraft. Most of those planes are small planes like this one in NYC. Why could DC track them and not NYC?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #16
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Don't waste his time with details like this. They get in the way of his bitching. He wants to seem smart when he does it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #17
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him View Post
Don't waste his time with details like this. They get in the way of his bitching. He wants to seem smart when he does it.
Who knew the short bus provided wireless access.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Who knew the short bus provided wireless access.
He did?
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why?

The FAA has plenty to do, and making flight more difficult for small planes and pilots shouldn't be one of them.
That's a good point. I didn't mean it to make it more difficult for piolots of small aircraft, but more for air traffic controllers to be able to keep an eye for possible problems like this. I realize that the controllers have enough problems as is, but thius may have been avoidable had they known about it through their instruments.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 AM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
I have been to Manhattan countless times. I have yet to see an airplane flying at 500 feet over the city. I am unaware of any airport on Manhattan itself that a small plane would take off from, leading me to conclude it took off from outside of Manhattan and then flew over the city. This happens dozens of times a week in DC. Whenever it does happen, they first attempt radio contact, then respond with fighter jets. On occasion, the plane gets close to important areas in DC and evacuation procedures take place at those venues. This is extremely rare, though, because the communication and fighter jets usually produces the retreat of the aircraft. Most of those planes are small planes like this one in NYC. Why could DC track them and not NYC?
You're changing slightly, but allow me to introduce a few concepts.

First, despite civilian expectations, no country has complete control or knowledge of its skies. No country possesses the technology or resources to employ sufficient technologies to patrol the skies.

Second, DC airspace is far more secure than almost any other airspace in the world. To compare NY with DC is unfair.

Third, I have not reviewed the restricted airspace rules for Manhattan, but without such knowledge I believe I could take off tomorrow from an adjacent airspace and fly above Manhattan VFR. I also believe it is highly likely this would go unnoticed by NORAD.

Fourth, there are holes in radar. To avoid unnecessary disclosures, nothing more will be said.

Fifth, not all pieces are automatically linked within NORAD and it takes time for reports to get to various personnel.

Your expectations are unreasonable, but have it your way, blame Bush, he should have seen it coming and contacted the media.