cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 AM   #61
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Oh this is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Santos views Seattle as a jerk and a lawyer, not certain which he detests more. It appears lawyers more, but in past discussions it is clear, because he refuses to understand how lawyers operate and how we can separate ourselves from our personal morality when addressing the morality of our clients, that he finds the mere fact of advocacy for a person he considers immoral, an immoral act.
Yawn, no I don't refuse to understand how you operate or how you can seperate your morality from your clients. Yes I get it. I hate lawyers for lots of other reasons. Who doesn't hate lawyers?

Quote:
Thus, Seattle suffers from the double whammy of advocating, an immoral act in and of itself, a non Church position, another immoral act.
No, I've read SU's posts for years. Through all of it I've yet to see any redeeming qualities, including the alleged humor Lebowski sees in him. Has nothing to do with his laywerness.

However, if there is a double whammy in his anti-Mormon bitterness and the lawyerness it's in this. You lawyers never care for what is right. You never care what the truth is. You make your case using whichever means you have access to, be it dishonest, illogical, inconsistent, unethical, untrue, fabricated, or irrelevant. If it works you use it. I do find that lawyerlike trait in SU extra annoying, on top his anti-Mormon jerkness.

Quote:
It seems that neither wish or could befriend somebody who isn't friendly toward or respectful of the Church. There are probably many people who share that view. There, it's clear as mud to this befuddled soul.
I'm not the close-minded Mormon defender that Rocky is, but I might have trouble being friends with a person whose primary agenda is their bitterness, disrespect, and disdain towards Mormons and actively, constantly ad-nauseumly attacks and belittles Mormons on every issue. SU is one of a kind for me. Of the thousands of internet personalities I've met, he's numero uno in the Mormon-hating jerk category.

P.S. the bit about morals you have completely misunderstood. I never said or meant to imply I think my morals are better than SU's. I'm not one of those self-righteous Mormons. I said he has no defined beliefs or moral SYSTEM, meaning something he'll commit to and not stray from. i.e. he'll go from science loving atheist to God fearing disciple whichever is best to use in an argument to crack on Mormons.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM   #62
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

As an internet personality, what duty does one have to disclose all or any of one's personal code of conduct?

As wannabe philosophers, why can't somebody float an idea, even if one does not subscribe to the theory?

I really don't believe Jay you do understand. Lawyers do care about truth, but we also care about the process. In our presonal lives, many of us care for the truth. The process which we use to arrive at it is different than how others may, but we care about the truth. Many believe the adversary process is good at exposing weaknesses.

An example, in appellate law, one frequently faces multiple judges on the panel. One will observe this technique. A judge who wants to prove a point to one of his mates, will ask questions seemingly harmful to your client's point of view, but he may be asking them to convince the other judges of his view in your favor.

Lawyers can be scientists of the world of ideas and commerce, trying any theory that helps one's clients. It doesn't mean we personally subscribe to all of them, but the hearer may.

And we have a duty to advocate as best we can.

Seattle needles you and other LDS because he can. He doesn't needle those whom he cannot affect. I don't agree with his views on the Church, but I value them because they teach me something about my views.

I find your views interesting and they force me to reexamine my views. This is probably unconvincing to you, but I wager most or many of us take what is posted here far too seriously and we should not personalize it toward any individual Sure, some of us are jerks. Some of us may hate the Church. In the grand scheme of things, anybody's jerkiness or hate for the Church doesn't really affect you or me, unless he's standing in front of us at the movie theatre telling us to the movie we're about to watch.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #63
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Through all of it I've yet to see any redeeming qualities, including the alleged humor Lebowski sees in him.
Sheesh, given the tone and content of your recent tirades, that's not too surprising. Lighten up, Francis.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #64
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
As I analyze Jay's and Rocky's arguments, they are not the same.

Rocky views everything Seattle states as an attack against the Church he left. His view of Seattle is so narrow that he is unwilling to examine each argument for its own sake. Certainly, one can see a slant depending upon the poster, that is a fair way of reading boards. However, one misses the richness of Seattle's or anybody else's thought by doing that.

Santos views Seattle as a jerk and a lawyer, not certain which he detests more. It appears lawyers more, but in past discussions it is clear, because he refuses to understand how lawyers operate and how we can separate ourselves from our personal morality when addressing the morality of our clients, that he finds the mere fact of advocacy for a person he considers immoral, an immoral act. Thus, Seattle suffers from the double whammy of advocating, an immoral act in and of itself, a non Church position, another immoral act.

It seems that neither wish or could befriend somebody who isn't friendly toward or respectful of the Church. There are probably many people who share that view. There, it's clear as mud to this befuddled soul.
Keep you day job Arch. Your psycho-analytical babble is boring and factually incorrect.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #65
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seattle needles you and other LDS because he can. He doesn't needle those whom he cannot affect.
Bingo. I learned this growing up in an anti-Mormon area. I learned it much later than I should have. I should add that I don't consider SU to be an anti-Mormon. Not like the folks who kept me on the defensive throughout my youth. I see him as an agnostic who has a difficult time understanding how bright, educated people can believe in the LDS church when he himself cannot. He probes, pokes, zooms in for a closer look with his questions, queries and jabs. It's natural if you ask me. He wants to see who's here.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 10-05-2006 at 05:41 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #66
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My avatar can kick all of your avatars' butts.

Not particualrly salient, I suppose, but I just wanted to say it.
Like hell it can! Nothing can touch the tortured scribbling of six-year-old bored out of his gourd in Sacrament Meeting.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote