cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Seriously, this seems very strange to me. Spend $2 billion to attract heathens to Mecca, surrounding the sanctum sanctorum with all the glitz and latest trapings of popular Western culture--fancy hand bag shops, multi-plexes, sushi bars, bars. It sums up LDS culture's myriad contraditions. It actually reminds me of some ill-fated Soviet initiative in Siberia. Whatever, it's your tithing dollars at work.
LOL. Classic.

For what it's worth, they claim that no tithing dollars will be used.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. Classic.

For what it's worth, they claim that no tithing dollars will be used.
Right. Fuzzy numbers.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right. Fuzzy numbers.
Well, Crossroads mall is already there... if your choice is to make the city nicer, add green space, jobs, and housing to the area or keep the status quo, I'd go with the change. And if the church can pay for it without tax dollars, even better.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Right. Fuzzy numbers.
Where are they getting the money?

The church has billions in liquid money that does not come from tithing? That's a crazy amount of money. Wish the books were more open.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, sorry to sound a discouraging note, but why should the Church spend that much money to spruce up downtown SLC?

How does that benefit Church membership, especially outside Utah? We could use that much to set up a university in Latin America or to really jump start research at BYU.

Whether tithing or other monies are used is irrelevant. If it's not tithing, then tithing will be used for other purposes to which this largesse of "nontithing" could be otherwise used. The Church is not that wealthy that Two Billion is insignificant. Count me in as perhaps the only card carring member who doesn't think this is a great investment for the Church and its members at large.

I will never reside in Utah and what goes on at HQ doesn't benefit anybody I know.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Okay, sorry to sound a discouraging note, but why should the Church spend that much money to spruce up downtown SLC?

How does that benefit Church membership, especially outside Utah? We could use that much to set up a university in Latin America or to really jump start research at BYU.

Whether tithing or other monies are used is irrelevant. If it's not tithing, then tithing will be used for other purposes to which this largesse of "nontithing" could be otherwise used. The Church is not that wealthy that Two Billion is insignificant. Count me in as perhaps the only card carring member who doesn't think this is a great investment for the Church and its members at large.

I will never reside in Utah and what goes on at HQ doesn't benefit anybody I know.

$2 billion would put BYU in the top ten in endowment size.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am assuming they feel that if downtown is protected, than the headquarters of the church will always be protected.

It's great for the city, and potentially could be great for the church as they could receive a significant return on their investment, but I could see how it doesn't make much sense for an out of stater.

Two billion dollars cash is a lot of scrilla, makes you wonder how much money the church has and what exactly is the value of the church. The membership is not growing as fast as they claim, Mormons aren't richer than the average American, Utah isn't a center of commerce, I can only assume that outside business ventures of the church are highly successful.

I do find it ironic the church is developing a 'progressive community' as that is what it appears it will turn into.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ishtar
Are you saying that this development will be a gargantuan flop?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #19
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Not a dime is coming from tithing per President Hinckley in his closing address on Saturday's Conference.

The church has wealth beyond our comprehension. I mean look at the church's assets in real estate alone. Think of the properties in Hawaii, Hong Kong, DC, Europe, etc.

I like the idea of green space on Main and removing the street for auto access and strictly with a stop for Trax. That seems like a nice buffer between the temple grounds and the new construction of Babylonia. I don't think it's that big a contradiction in terms of the idea of industry that has always been central to Mormon belief and culture. Although I think Nordstroms and Macy's may be perverting that a bit.

Something is needed though. Downtown is dead. I wish someone could redevelop the entire area north of temple square by West HS extending from I-15 to the avenues. I wonder how they keep transients away from the new project. Or do they keep letting them set up camp during the day Pioneer Park? It's a sad sight to behold.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as surfah has said, the church has money everywhere. Besides all the land that has temples, church houses, etc...there is double that in land that doesn't have anything on that and is simply waiting to do something with it like putting up more churches, temples, etc. On top of that, the church has thousands and thousands of acres of land that is being used for dairies, agriculture, etc.

The church comes off looking really good in regards to 'spending' this money...but the church fully expects to make quite a bit of money over the next 20-30 years thru leases, etc. to make up that cost. Generous by the church initially, but the church will do well in getting its return especially when you figure that there will be over 120 stores paying rent every month (and most likely, an expensive lease for each of these businesses) along with the housing units, etc.

You have this development project to go along with Gateway, the new library, the Delta Center, Trax, the Bees stadium and the capitol and you have some good things going on downtown.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote