cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Faith

Faith is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks and goodbye

My husband just told me that he was banned from Cougarguard. This was the reason given:

Your wife thinks you waste too much time here.

Now Mods are putting words in my mouth, and I don't appreciate that.

I just want to thank those of you who have posted thought-provoking comments on this board. I have decided that I will no longer participate in this board. Here is something that I wrote in a private message earlier today, and it expresses my feelings about this forum:

I have appreciated much of what I have read on this board, especially viewpoints that aren't congruent with my own, because it helps me see things in new ways. But I am thrown off balance by the nastiness and the lack of respect that seems to permeate too many of the threads. Too be honest, I see way to much ugliness at my workplace, and I don't know if I want to deal with it in my free time. It's difficult because I think that it is important to have a forum where everyone feels free to express their opinions, and I don't believe in censorship. And I wouldn't want any artificial niceties. I just wish that pepole were kinder (myself included).
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You/Your husband was not "banned". You/Your husband was suspended for 24 hours. For the usual reasons. If you/your husband are not smart enough to figure out why this keeps happening, then maybe you/your husband would be better off spending your time elsewhere.

If you are in fact "Faith" then I understand. You are very literal, and not one to appreciate sarcasm or irony. Maybe that is a curse. Maybe that is a blessing.

"Robin" has constantly disrespected this forum. I assume that he doesn't bring this into your home, because then your life would truly be difficult, given the "ugliness" you experience 1) at work and 2) on this forum.

So I guess this is a divorce of sorts, initiated by you. I always figured you to be someone to stick with bad situations and work on them. To a fault some might say. But who are we to judge, given our imperfect natures? Good luck in your life.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

2 martyrs in one family?

Market cornered.

This leads me to believe that Faith = Robin.

When Robin had his public martyrdom a few months ago, it was written in the same style.

Later.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Isn't it interesting that when one, or two people can never figure out that it actually really might be them and not the rest of the entire world that is the problem?

Those people, people like Robin, never figure that out.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
You/Your husband was not "banned". You/Your husband was suspended for 24 hours. For the usual reasons. If you/your husband are not smart enough to figure out why this keeps happening, then maybe you/your husband would be better off spending your time elsewhere.

If you are in fact "Faith" then I understand. You are very literal, and not one to appreciate sarcasm or irony. Maybe that is a curse. Maybe that is a blessing.

"Robin" has constantly disrespected this forum. I assume that he doesn't bring this into your home, because then your life would truly be difficult, given the "ugliness" you experience 1) at work and 2) on this forum.

So I guess this is a divorce of sorts, initiated by you. I always figured you to be someone to stick with bad situations and work on them. To a fault some might say. But who are we to judge, given our imperfect natures? Good luck in your life.
Just when this board starts to grow on me because it allowed completely open discussions related to BYU, the church, etc., this happens. C'mon, why suspend someone on this board? Was Robing dropping f-bombs or something? Or did he offend you? He who takes offense when none is intended is a fool. He who takes offense when offense is intended is also a fool.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie
Just when this board starts to grow on me because it allowed completely open discussions related to BYU, the church, etc., this happens. C'mon, why suspend someone on this board? Was Robing dropping f-bombs or something? Or did he offend you? He who takes offense when none is intended is a fool. He who takes offense when offense is intended is also a fool.
You don't know his history on this board. He engaged in behavior that he describes as a "social experiment" in anti-social behavior (no I am not making this up, these are his words), where he basically attacked everyone and everything and was generally despicable (this after being voted down on admission to Cryptic Permutations forum). After this continued for an embarrassingly long time, I received many requests to ban him. Eventually I suspended him, and he deleted all the posts he had ever made (another childish act). He was acting in a way designed to disrupt and destroy the community.

I decided to let him back in. On a "short leash." He promised to behave differently. And while his behavior has not been as bad as it was, he still engages in attacks, obscenity, jabs against the church, etc.

This community is governed by mutual respect and courtesy. Of course there will be those that come to divide and destroy. Just as we suffer murderers and criminals in society. Unfortunately, this requires police and law enforcement. I don't like being the police, but sometimes, for the greater good, I must step in.

Robin is not the only poster who is guilty of engaging in behavior detrimental to the cougarguard community. But given his past antics, he is in his own category. I understand that he has decided to leave cougarguard. This is just a formality. I would submit that he was never really part of cougarguard. His lack of respect demonstrated that.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie
Dare I say, I agree. I like you Mike, and appreciate your hosting this site. But the vitriol between you and Robin is having a negative effect. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
You don't know his history on this board. He engaged in behavior that he describes as a "social experiment" in anti-social behavior (no I am not making this up, these are his words), where he basically attacked everyone and everything and was generally despicable (this after being voted down on admission to Cryptic Permutations forum). After this continued for an embarrassingly long time, I received many requests to ban him. Eventually I suspended him, and he deleted all the posts he had ever made (another childish act). He was acting in a way designed to disrupt and destroy the community.

I decided to let him back in. On a "short leash." He promised to behave differently. And while his behavior has not been as bad as it was, he still engages in attacks, obscenity, jabs against the church, etc.

This community is governed by mutual respect and courtesy. Of course there will be those that come to divide and destroy. Just as we suffer murderers and criminals in society. Unfortunately, this requires police and law enforcement. I don't like being the police, but sometimes, for the greater good, I must step in.

Robin is not the only poster who is guilty of engaging in behavior detrimental to the cougarguard community. But given his past antics, he is in his own category. I understand that he has decided to leave cougarguard. This is just a formality. I would submit that he was never really part of cougarguard. His lack of respect demonstrated that.
Forgive me, Mike, because I fully admit I don't know the history, but it sounds like the same bullshit Jefe used on me because I didn't like Gary Crowton.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Dare I say, I agree. I like you Mike, and appreciate your hosting this site. But the vitriol between you and Robin is having a negative effect. Just my humble opinion.
Why do you think he is here? Was he ever an active participant on CB before I started this site? No.

I put his account on suspension when he first signed up because I don't trust him. I have my reasons, and I keep them private.

So he goes onto cougarboard to expose my "hypocrisy" when I first started cougarguard.

And what he has done since then? Repeatedly attack me and attempt to divide the community. And I'm tired of it.

Robin 1) does not care about sports and 2) does not much care for Mormonism (he will disagree and parse this). Why is he here? I think it is obvious. And it is not to build a community and make friends.

Does Robin have many good traits? Yes. Does he have interesting, meaningful points of view? In my case I have heard them ad nauseum, so they are not interesting. But I can see how others would like to talk to him. And if that is what he brought here, that would be fine.

He is not banned from this site. He was suspended for 24 hours as punishment for his personal attacks and name-calling. He has informed me that he has chosen to leave the site. I think that alone demonstrates his commitment to decent dialogue.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Forgive me, Mike, because I fully admit I don't know the history, but it sounds like the same bullshit Jefe used on me because I didn't like Gary Crowton.
What solution do you propose? Do you think there should be absolutely no moderation or oversight? USENET is great for that.

This site is "moderation-lite". I have deleted perhaps two threads, that were filled with racist comments. A post or two that graphically attributed homosexual acts to me and otherwise commented on my sexual practices/genitalia (Robin posted these). I have suspended one poster, who admitted to trying to destroy the community. For some, this is too heavy-handed I suppose. I can't please everyone. And I won't even pretend to try to.

If I were only acting on a personal level, Robin would have been banned long ago.