cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Right, but freedom of speech is constitutionally protected in the Netherlands, too. This is a matter of interpretation.
It surprised me that a country noted for laissez faire in about everything took such a restrictive interpretation, although the rise of the Muslim demographic had an impact no doubt.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if Mormons had more power, would they ban openly mocking the temple ceremony(ies)?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wonder if Mormons had more power, would they ban openly mocking the temple ceremony(ies)?
Probably, but I'm glad we don't.

I'd prefer allowing desecration as opposed repressed speech.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Probably, but I'm glad we don't.

I'd prefer allowing desecration as opposed repressed speech.
I think this is how Muslims feel. That mocking the temple ceremony should be illegal. Except for them, it's not a 'temple ceremony.' It's other stuff.

If God is the most important thing in the world, what could be more important than upholding, through law, basic respect for God?

Freedom of speech is more important than God?

The Westerner says 'yes, if you want to put it like that.'

However even in America we have the same fundamentalist impulses, i.e. putting people in jail for burning the flag.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
I think this is how Muslims feel. That mocking the temple ceremony should be illegal. Except for them, it's not a 'temple ceremony.' It's other stuff.

If God is the most important thing in the world, what could be more important than upholding, through law, basic respect for God?

Freedom of speech is more important than God?

The Westerner says 'yes, if you want to put it like that.'

However even in America we have the same fundamentalist impulses, i.e. putting people in jail for burning the flag.
That is the impulse, which you're capable of expressing. But thanks to that impulse, ignorance, repression and a general lack of understanding permeate Islamic society.

We don't talk about things and so many of those things remain a mystery of ignorance.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-22-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That is the impulse, which you're capable of expressing. But thanks to that impulse, ignorance, repression and a general lack of understanding permeate Islamic society.
Versus the enlightened Western democratic liberal impulses of, say, the Israelis, that allow them to prevent charitable relief from reaching the prison camp they just bombed.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Versus the enlightened Western democratic liberal impulses of, say, the Israelis, that allow them to prevent charitable relief from reaching the prison camp they just bombed.
I believe free expression is also repressed in Israel. You don't have the freedom to proselyte, and many things can't be said there.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It surprised me that a country noted for laissez faire in about everything took such a restrictive interpretation, although the rise of the Muslim demographic had an impact no doubt.
Not "had an impact." It's the driving force. The tension between these two populations is probably the foremost issue facing the nation.

And the fact that the nation is so generally and historically laissez faire is the problem, not the non seq. It's kind of like communism -- it seemed like a good idea in theory, but when you have to sort out the details in practice it all starts to break down.

Think about it. You've got a nation's ideals rooted in secularism and mutual acceptance, tolerance, and respect for all peoples. Very non-interventionist. Well, this only works so long as everybody plays along. What happens when you have a mass influx of a group whose ideology encourages the very opposite of these ideals? What happens when you have a significant and increasing population whose attitude is "convert or be killed, curse'd infidels!!"? How much longer can the rest of the population continue its let-them-be way of life, knowing that their neighbors are reproducing in droves and teaching their offspring the opposite? How much longer can the government watch the intercultural tensions increase?

It's like the progressive free-thinking mother who scoffs at discipline and believes young children should be allowed to express themselves by acting out their impulses. Well, how far is she going to take this? So long as brother and sister play nicely? Does she intervene once the toddlers start threatening to hurt each other? Hurling toys? Or does she wait until brother yanks sister's hair, knocks her to the floor and leaves bite marks in her arm before explaining to sister that it's all in the name of personal freedom? Did she, as the authority, not have an obligation to prevent the violence?

It's a difficult position for a nation. It is much like the dichotomy Obama referred to. What happens when a country has to choose between long term security and its ideals? This is the struggle the Netherlands is facing. And there are no easy answers. Which precedent do we wish to set? That it is no longer permissible to speak freely? Or that for the sake of freedom and tolerance the government will sit idly by while incendiary language results in widespread civil disturbance?

It's a fascinating story unfolding, but one that I'm rather relieved I'm reading about instead of living out.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Not "had an impact." It's the driving force. The tension between these two populations is probably the foremost issue facing the nation.
What western European nation isn't? Britain's got it. France has got it. Germany. Spain. This culture clash is a huge elephant over there.

Banning racist, misogynistic Snow White stories is a good start, however.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said BG.

In reading your reply...I couldn't help but think of the early days of the founding of the Church, and their mass influx to Missouri. Same kind of deal...to the existing people living there. The early Saints became a real threat to the settlers of Missouri.

So, it is interesting to see what is happening there....it is a foreshadowing of what is to come in other countries, in my opinion.

Do you stand by your principles and watch your country go down all in the name of ensuring certain freedoms, even if those very freedoms you're protecting could produce the demise of your very country. Or, do you somehow try and preserve your founding ideals that made your country.

Wow....scary to think about.