cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The formation of J-Street is an example of how the hegemony of right-wing Israeli politics is starting to end (emphasis on "starting"--it may be decades).

Why are these rebuttals of Israeli war-making I am posting written by Jews? Because only Jews are allowed to criticize Israel without being called anti-Semitic. The strangehold of Israel over American powerbrokers is amazing. Look at the recent example of Olmert claiming that he was able, with one phone call to Bush, change the USA vote in the U.N. on the ceasefire. Obama made terribly bland statements about wanting peace in the region and was attacked as not being pro-Israel.

WTF does "pro-Israel" mean? I mentioned this before, but a member of my bishopric said one reason he didn't like Obama was that he wasn't "pro-Israel" enough. I retorted that it was one of the reasons I *could* like Obama.

The tragedy is very simple: the Jews decided to create a homeland where lots of people were already living. You can't justify injustice by injustice. You can try, but you then you have to be willing to go all the way. You must kill the men, women, children, and cattle (see Old Testament). How much blood will the Chosen People have on their hands before we question these ways?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The tragedy is very simple: the Jews decided to create a homeland where lots of people were already living. You can't justify injustice by injustice. You can try, but you then you have to be willing to go all the way. You must kill the men, women, children, and cattle (see Old Testament). How much blood will the Chosen People have on their hands before we question these ways?
The question of who has "rights" to the land is very interesting academically, but of very little use practically. Whether or not one decides the formation of the state of Israel was just, it has now existed for 60 years with a population of roughly 7 million people.

Shouting "go back to Eastern Europe!" while you lob a Katyusha rocket into an Israeli settlement strikes me as less-effective.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The question of who has "rights" to the land is very interesting academically, but of very little use practically. Whether or not one decides the formation of the state of Israel was just, it has now existed for 60 years with a population of roughly 7 million people.

Shouting "go back to Eastern Europe!" while you lob a Katyusha rocket into an Israeli settlement strikes me as less-effective.
Yes. The sorts of missiles that the Americans have would be much more effective. And tanks and bombers.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I'm ashamed of Israel in this war, and in this whole, long occupation. But when I compare our country's history to those of other countries, then I figure that on the whole, we have nothing to apologize for. And when I compare our record of "purity of arms" to that of the Palestinians, then I figure our society is morally superior to theirs.

But this war has narrowed the gap considerably.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

The "we are evil, but not as evil as some others" argument.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes. The sorts of missiles that the Americans have would be much more effective. And tanks and bombers.
Yes indeed.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Really, what does Israel want?

They want the prisoners to behave?

They want a painless pleasant occupation and subjugation, all the while declaring themselves the freest nation in the world as they run an apartheid state?

Their folly is creating their own (shared) tragedy.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The geniuses at the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/opinion/16fri1.html
Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I thought I already posted this morning, but I guess I messed up.

Again, I ask, just as Max Blumenthal asks, what prevents Israel from taking this to its logical end, and perpetrating its own holocaust against the Palestinians?

Morality?

*note: I would guess Tex would describe Mr. Blumental as a "self-loathing Jew". When a member of a group questions the ethics and morality of his own group, he is "self-loathing." It is a way of rejecting the argument without addressing it.
"Wipe them all out. You got to go all the way with this."

"They are forcing us to kill their children to protect our children." In the video.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...pFTtAD95OJ78O0

Now the Israelis have killed two daughters of the Israeli-trained Palestinian doctor who has been reporting on the war on Israeli TV. No doubt with American weapons. And America can't even vote for a ceasefire in the UN, the only country on the UN Security Council to not do so. Olmert claimed he ordered Bush to do so, causing Condie Rice to make an embarrassing about-face in the UN.

Fuck you Bush. Rot in hell Olmert.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you believe the Palestinians have any fault in this mess?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do you believe the Palestinians have any fault in this mess?
Read the Mearsheimer article I just posted.

Many of the arguments that are being made against the Palestinian cause are the same that were used to defend the South African apartheid regime. Nelson Mandela was a veritable monster if you asked the GOP.