cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is healthcare in the U.S....
a right? 2 8.70%
a privilege? 6 26.09%
a responsibility? 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't understand that option either. Presumably, that means it is a responsibility of the government to ensure that people have health care. If so, from whence is that responsibility derived? It would almost have to follow that it stems from the right of the people to have health care.
It's in the constitution. Just look. And if you can't find it, I'm sure one of Obama's future judicial appointments can help you.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I don't believe healthcare is a right. But there are certain aspects of healthcare that are simply more efficiently provided by a single central entity. There are certain goods we desire as a society that the profit motive simply doesn't serve well, and many of these lie in healthcare.

You HAVE to accompany it with tort reform, though. There is no example in the world in which healthcare has been successfully socialized without a radically different malpractice system. And there are plenty of examples of failure.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is education for children a right?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is education for children a right?
It has a much better historical precedence than health care. Society in its normative process decided the work force that is educated is more productive and pays more taxes so it's important to give each child a basic form of education. Through the process, it would not have originally be named a right, but people probably use that language by virtue of positive law arising out of normative principles.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #25
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It has a much better historical precedence than health care. Society in its normative process decided the work force that is educated is more productive and pays more taxes so it's important to give each child a basic form of education. Through the process, it would not have originally be named a right, but people probably use that language by virtue of positive law arising out of normative principles.
And society in its normative process is finally deciding in America that prevention of long-term diseases is more cost-effective than paying to care for these diseases later.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Would those who believe like Cali and Barbara articulate how they believe hc magically became a right and who endowed it with such metaphysical preeminence.
You can use your cocky inflated diction in an attempt to justify your position that healthcare is an unnecessary but convenient accessory afforded the financially privileged in this country, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't use it to randomly assign beliefs to me and then demand corresponding justifications for those beliefs.

Thank you.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You can use your cocky inflated diction in an attempt to justify your position that healthcare is an unnecessary but convenient accessory afforded the financially privileged in this country, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't use it to randomly assign beliefs to me and then demand corresponding justifications for those beliefs.

Thank you.
One should be quite humbled at such an online beat down.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
And society in its normative process is finally deciding in America that prevention of long-term diseases is more cost-effective than paying to care for these diseases later.
Society is often unwise, but society is dishonest in articulating it as a right. Politically those advocates for this position call it a right in order to raise the rhetoric and the emotional pressure.

It is an unwise decision but society often makes unwise decisions.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
You can use your cocky inflated diction
this is very accomodating of you.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thank you.
Welcome to Cougarguard. Take a number.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote