cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Since my mind is like a steel trap when it comes to such things:

It is technology to identify headquarters and safe-houses for Al Qaeda. Real-time imaging combined with computer algorithms identifying movements likely to be associated with terrorist activity. Suspect buildings are placed under surveillance. Attacks made. The end.

I don't have any source that tells me this. It's simply what makes sense.
Probably something like that, but I wonder if it has more to do with listening, or marking something or someone in some new fangled way and then tracking it or them, in combination with imaging and human intelligence (not Americans, but Iraqis). Everything must start with some kind of human intelligence to verify what is being seen, heard, or traced.

I don't see why this nullifies the advancements made under the surge. Certainly the surge will have made such an effort more effective.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Either that, or they've tricked Al-Qaeda into developing a taste for British cuisine.

Well first the Bristish would have to invent a cuisine and that truly would be miraculous.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe we've been actually supplying the insurgents with arms, which unbeknownst to them are marked with GPS. We track them and at first opportunity, kill whoever is carrying the marked gun. That would keep most insurgents from picking up a weapon, because they don't know which are being tracked, and which aren't.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Ok, but why would our guys be at risk of getting killed if that was made public?

WOuld they be killed or would theprgram simply be rendered ineffective?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
A co-worker told me that he watched the ABC interview with Woodward on youtube this morning ( I don't have time to look it up). Woodward said that he shared what he'd learned with a General and he said he could see the blood drain from the General's face as he realized what Woodward knew. Reportedly the General said "you cannot write about this. It will get people killed." I have yet to see the interview so I can't confirm.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Could it be nanobots? I recall reading an article in a science magazine a few years ago that said scientists had finally discovered how a fly is able to get lift (they have 8 wings, and previously scientists couldn't understand how the 8 wings operated together to lift the fly off the ground). They were using that understanding to create mechanical flies which would operate as surveillance cameras, feeding information to the military.

If the US could send mechanical flies into every single home/cave/bunker/whatever, they could get all the info they need to find the terrorists and take them out.

I don't know how this would get people killed, though, if anyone knew about it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
From the article:
"The program -- which Woodward compares to the World War II era Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb -- must remain secret for now or it would "get people killed," Woodward said Monday on CNN's Larry King Live."
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #18
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
From the article:
"The program -- which Woodward compares to the World War II era Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb -- must remain secret for now or it would "get people killed," Woodward said Monday on CNN's Larry King Live."

OK, no need to pile on here. I was distracted by a shiny object on my desk.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Probably something like that, but I wonder if it has more to do with listening, or marking something or someone in some new fangled way and then tracking it or them, in combination with imaging and human intelligence (not Americans, but Iraqis). Everything must start with some kind of human intelligence to verify what is being seen, heard, or traced.

I don't see why this nullifies the advancements made under the surge. Certainly the surge will have made such an effort more effective.
Why I discredit listening: too much manpower required, too much intelligence sharing with the Iraqis. Heavens knows we don't have the speakers to do that kind of surveillance, and I doubt we have a tele-bank of listeners, in the hundreds or thousands.

Marking. That's interesting. But whom or what would be marked?

There might be a pattern of cell phone use that is different for Al Qaeda. Like calls to Pakistan for example. Triangulate the signal. Repeated ad nauseum, and you have some information.

My real-time imaging idea with computer algorithm and risk stratification does not use any significant human intelligence to identify targets, other than what city or neighborhood to look at.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Could it be nanobots? I recall reading an article in a science magazine a few years ago that said scientists had finally discovered how a fly is able to get lift (they have 8 wings, and previously scientists couldn't understand how the 8 wings operated together to lift the fly off the ground). They were using that understanding to create mechanical flies which would operate as surveillance cameras, feeding information to the military.

If the US could send mechanical flies into every single home/cave/bunker/whatever, they could get all the info they need to find the terrorists and take them out.

I don't know how this would get people killed, though, if anyone knew about it.
Now THAT would be my tax dollars at work.