cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Noxious pest plants I love

Here in Seattle Morning Glories are considered a noxious pest. I think there's an ordinance requiring you to kill them if they're in your yard. They're so prolific here they literally choke trees to death. But they're so beautiful. The green belt behind my home is filled with them. Their white flowers are like the fimament amid a deep green vault. They generate a profusion of leafy vines, the leaves the shape of spear heads. Their voracious, lethal nature somehow adds to their appeal for me.

I also love Asian blackberries. They produce unbelievable amounts of fruit this time of year, and grow wild everywhere. But if you had a moat of them around your castle you'd be safe. They're some nasty brambles and personify the cliche "grow like weeds." Some people disdain them here because they're not indigenous and like morning glories they're very beligerant.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here in Seattle Morning Glories are considered a noxious pest. I think there's an ordinance requiring you to kill them if they're in your yard. They're so prolific here they literally choke trees to death. But they're so beautiful. The green belt behind my home is filled with them. Their white flowers are like the fimament amid a deep green vault. They generate a profusion of leafy vines, the leaves the shape of spear heads. Their voracious, lethal nature somehow adds to their appeal for me.

I also love Asian blackberries. They produce unbelievable amounts of fruit this time of year, and grow wild everywhere. But if you had a moat of them around your castle you'd be safe. They're some nasty brambles and personify the cliche "grow like weeds." Some people disdain them here because they're not indigenous and like morning glories they're very beligerant.
Asian Blackberries are what those things are hey?

I was working on a large civilian works project over in the Port Angeles area about 6 years ago and we had to do work along a 5 mile stretch of roadway and damm if those things weren't everywhere.

If you had to walk thru a patch of those babies you would be taking your life in your hands, they would cut you to ribbons. They did produce allot of fruit though, and the native Washingtonians loved the berries. I also remember the fire when we lit that pile up, the flames were a hundred feet tall.

I went back several years later and the plants had moved right back in and you could hardly see where we had gone thru the area.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mustang grape.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/mustang.asp

Native to Texas. It is very very tart. You can see above that some people make it into wine.

My father, and recently the boss and I, have made it into jelly. Tart acid grape + sugar.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 08-21-2008 at 10:40 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mustang grape.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/mustang.asp

Native to Texas. It is very very tart. You can see above that some people make it into wine.

My father, and recently the boss and I, have made it into jelly. Tart acid grape + sugar.
Reminds me of crab apple jelly my ancestors used to make.

I think we had some of those in the fields by our house in Sandy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote