cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #41
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Do you call an efficient market one where the oil industry is subsidized by the american people, but we can't even extend the tax credit for solar power? An efficient market is one where there is an even playing field among the industries.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It appears the Democrats have surrendered. Barring another change, AP is reporting that they will let the offshore drilling ban expire next week.

I have a hard time believing Pelosi doesn't have something up her sleeve. We'll see.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #43
Levin

While many here will be euphoric with this news, the unborn generations just let out a collective groan.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 AM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
While many here will be euphoric with this news, the unborn generations just let out a collective groan.
Did they?

Honestly, if the unborn generations are born when offshore drilling is going on, why would they groan? The concept of offshore drilling would be foreign to them.

As for Pelosi, she and Reid want to maintain control of both houses. Political expediency will always win out.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #45
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Did they?

Honestly, if the unborn generations are born when offshore drilling is going on, why would they groan? The concept of offshore drilling would be foreign to them.

As for Pelosi, she and Reid want to maintain control of both houses. Political expediency will always win out.
They groan b/c we continue to shove our generation's problems onto them.

Think where we'd be if in the late '70s during the last oil crisis we got serious about ending our dependence on oil?

It's just like every time I look in the mirror and wonder what I'd look like if I'd stuck with my New Years' resolutions.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
They groan b/c we continue to shove our generation's problems onto them.

Think where we'd be if in the late '70s during the last oil crisis we got serious about ending our dependence on oil?

It's just like every time I look in the mirror and wonder what I'd look like if I'd stuck with my New Years' resolutions.
Fair point.

The first step to begin ending our dependence on oil is get rid of our dependence on foreign oil. There really is no alternative to oil/coal until we find cleaner fuel. We could have been well on our way had Clinton given the okey dokey when he was in office - was it '96?

I'd rather drill and use our oil while figuring out better energy.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #47
Levin

Quote:
Fair point.

The first step to begin ending our dependence on oil is get rid of our dependence on foreign oil. There really is no alternative to oil/coal until we find cleaner fuel. We could have been well on our way had Clinton given the okey dokey when he was in office - was it '96?

I'd rather drill and use our oil while figuring out better energy.
Also a fair point, but with or without offshore drilling, the volume of foreign oil flowing from the world's spigots won't change. Currently, oil is like water -- it will always find an empty space to fill.

If the concern is sending money to Chavez, Putin, and the Sheiks, then the only solution is to replace oil with something else.

Which reminds me, do you think $700 billion in research money could come up with a 100% clean fuel source? I'd bet an atomic bomb on it.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Also a fair point, but with or without offshore drilling, the volume of foreign oil flowing from the world's spigots won't change. Currently, oil is like water -- it will always find an empty space to fill.

If the concern is sending money to Chavez, Putin, and the Sheiks, then the only solution is to replace oil with something else.

Which reminds me, do you think $700 billion in research money could come up with a 100% clean fuel source? I'd bet an atomic bomb on it.
I'm sure it could do a lot in finding a clean source of fuel. And I'd rather see that than the bailout. But maybe I'm just weird like that.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #49
Levin

Quote:
I'm sure it could do a lot in finding a clean source of fuel. And I'd rather see that than the bailout. But maybe I'm just weird like that.
This reminds me of one of the tragedies of the Iraq War, which has now cost us $600 billion. Opportunity cost. We could have contained Saddam for a fraction of the cost, and done what with the extra $580 billion in discretionary dollars?

I get teary just thinking of all the new subways, national parks, charter schools, R&D, school loans, arts funding, foreign aid, malaria/AIDS dollars . . .
Old 09-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #50
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
This reminds me of one of the tragedies of the Iraq War, which has now cost us $600 billion. Opportunity cost. We could have contained Saddam for a fraction of the cost, and done what with the extra $580 billion in discretionary dollars?

I get teary just thinking of all the new subways, national parks, charter schools, R&D, school loans, arts funding, foreign aid, malaria/AIDS dollars . . .
Drop arts funding and AIDS dollars and I'd be more inclined to agree.