cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This statement being true I am having a hard time understanding what the dispute here is all about.
I agree. I don't know why ER and Lebowski are against criminalizing child abuse.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree. I don't know why ER and Lebowski are against criminalizing child abuse.
Where the hell did I say that?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there something to be said that the prosecution is part of a person's penance, even if they do not go to jail?

That is, it is part of repentance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #44
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Where the hell did I say that?
I was joking.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #45
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you were so negligent that the DA decides to try you and a jury decides to convict you, the only honorable thing to do is to kill yourself.
You have way too much faith in our criminal justice system and in the people who administer it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #46
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I've learned that you have to actually be a parent to have any opinion in regards to whether you think the parent should be held criminally negligent to leave a toddler in a boiling car for hours.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I was joking.
Aha...

Well, here is the bottom line for me. Negligence obviously covers a wide spectrum. Someone not checking behind the back of the car before backing up is committing a form of negligence, but we are more forgiving because it is a short-term lapse with which most of us could identify. Not watching kids closely around a pool is another example. Forgetting a toddler in a car is higher up the scale, and perhaps some prosecution is warranted in this case, but I think the sentence was appropriate. I just don't see much point in a jail term in this case. This woman will suffer beyond anything you or I could imagine for the rest of her life. Makes me sick just to think about it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what about sending a bright kid to WSU because you are too cheap. Is that negligence?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #49
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Aha...

Well, here is the bottom line for me. Negligence obviously covers a wide spectrum. Someone not checking behind the back of the car before backing up is committing a form of negligence, but we are more forgiving because it is a short-term lapse with which most of us could identify. Not watching kids closely around a pool is another example. Forgetting a toddler in a car is higher up the scale, and perhaps some prosecution is warranted in this case, but I think the sentence was appropriate. I just don't see much point in a jail term in this case. This woman will suffer beyond anything you or I could imagine for the rest of her life. Makes me sick just to think about it.
I do agree that she probably shouldn't serve any jail time, but I don't think it compares to backing over a kid that you didn't place there to begin with. It's such an egregious lack of judgement and neglect.

I mean think about. Leaving them in a car for HOURS.....HOURS......how do you forget in blazing heat that you've left your toddler in a boiling car for HOURS on end? It's grossly negligent. How does one seriously excuse that? I can maybe....maybe see for a few minutes like some people have detailed in here from their personal experiences or from other people they know...but how do you explain away leaving a toddler in their for HOURS? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Having said that, I can't imagine the level of grief and personal suffering she'll endure the remainder of her days for her severe lack of judgement. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #50
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I do agree that she probably shouldn't serve any jail time, but I don't think it compares to backing over a kid that you didn't place there to begin with. It's such an egregious lack of judgement and neglect.

I mean think about. Leaving them in a car for HOURS.....HOURS......how do you forget in blazing heat that you've left your toddler in a boiling car for HOURS on end? It's grossly negligent. How does one seriously excuse that? I can maybe....maybe see for a few minutes like some people have detailed in here from their personal experiences or from other people they know...but how do you explain away leaving a toddler in their for HOURS? Seriously, I'd like to know.

Having said that, I can't imagine the level of grief and personal suffering she'll endure the remainder of her days for her severe lack of judgement. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.
So we both agree that it was worse than the car example and she shouldn't get jail time. Case closed.