cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Runners: What's your take on this video?

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

This video makes me sick. To see the number of people who pass this guy without stopping to help is shocking. I understand the argument that everyone has spent months training, and no one wants to give up what would be a faster finish time, but good hell, this guy could have been in serious danger for all they knew. And where the medical personnel?

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but I've stopped to check on people in races who were still walking, but just didn't look right. I can't even imagine just ignoring this guy and going on my way.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

I saw that and I don't know what I would do. If it was further back in the race, I'd like to think that I'd stop and help. But right at the finish line, I might think that there are plenty of professionals there that are much more qualified to help him out. Plus, I'm generally not looking at anything but the finish line and the clock at the end of a marathon. I might not have even seen him. Usually when I look at a finish line photo, I think "who are all those people around me? I don't remember any of them."
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post
I saw that and I don't know what I would do. If it was further back in the race, I'd like to think that I'd stop and help. But right at the finish line, I might think that there are plenty of professionals there that are much more qualified to help him out. Plus, I'm generally not looking at anything but the finish line and the clock at the end of a marathon. I might not have even seen him. Usually when I look at a finish line photo, I think "who are all those people around me? I don't remember any of them."
I have stopped and I do ask if I see somebody in danger or harm, but I usually run ahead to find a race official or medic who can do a better job than I.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post
But right at the finish line, I might think that there are plenty of professionals there that are much more qualified to help him out.
I completely understand this line of thinking. The responsibility of helping him is totally in the hands of the race officials, but in their absence, I just don't see how anyone could leave him there.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

You can't sacrifice your shot at 285th place to help some stranger. C'mon.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
You can't sacrifice your shot at 285th place to help some stranger. C'mon.
They were coming in around 3:20 that is boston qualifying time for some. Priorities.