cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Fair that tax dollars subsidize Kobe's pay while U.S. youth die in war for peanuts?
yes, it's the American way 3 15.79%
no, it's sickening 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #41
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
A thousand bucks?
I have five kids. 7 people would be a thousand bucks. Tickes average what, now, $150 bucks?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 AM   #42
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Second, I absolutely hate the fact that there are publicly financed items in sport. The one thing that Seattle Ute is forgetting is that cities all the time give subsidies to business to bring them in. The land in Orlando that Disney sit upon was purchased for $50 an acre. Orlando owned the land and sold it to Disney so cheaply so it would bring in visitors. Detroit just subsidized the office buildings for Quicken Loans and is paying some of their taxes to get them to come to Michigan. This doesnt just happen in detroit and orlando it happens nearly everywhere.
Disney World is a completely inapt comparison. I daresay Disney World indubitably transformed Orlando's tax base, economy, etc. For sports teams, this concept is mythology. Cities don't give businesses hard cash "all the time." That's bullshit. They may give certain tax concessions or sell land cheaply (I guess) to get a company like Boeing to change their headquarters, but again, that's far more momentous than having an NBA team.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Disney World is a completely inapt comparison. I daresay Disney World indubitably transformed Orlando's tax base, economy, etc. For sports teams, this concept is mythology. Cities don't give businesses hard cash "all the time." That's bullshit. They may give certain tax concessions or sell land cheaply (I guess) to get a company like Boeing to change their headquarters, but again, that's far more momentous than having an NBA team.
Agreed.

Disneyworld transformed the Orlando economy whereas NBA franchises never do.

Where would Orlando be without Disney?

Where will Seattle be without a sports franchise? Not economically poorer. May the NBA fold for all I care, it's a worthless piece of crap. It's bunch wealthy businessmen basically playing with public financing laughing at the stupid taxpayers.

Good for Seattle.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #44
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have five kids. 7 people would be a thousand bucks. Tickes average what, now, $150 bucks?
You can get nosebleed tickets at the ESA for about $10 each. I think our season tickets are about $40 each (I go in with three friends to buy season tickets). Average ticket price is about $50 according to this article:

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge/894915.html
Old 07-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This is interesting:

http://www.stubhub.com/sites/corpsit...rticle_id=7679

Utah has the cheapest seats in the league in the aftermarket. LA/NY have the most expensive (no surprise there).
Old 07-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
That Triplet says opposing handouts to the NBA is racist really takes the cake. It costs a thousand bucks to take your wife and kids to the game and buy them a hot dog.
I didnt say opposing handouts is racist.

I said you specifically were a racist for claiming that the NBA crowd contributes nothing to the community/society.

You became very agitated and upset, spouting off your non-racist credentials....which is almost always the reaction a genuine racist would have.

I also asked you to regale us all with your exhaustive list of NBA games attended across the country.....the pool from which you draw your conclusion that black people mostly cannot afford NBA games. I am still waiting for that one.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I know for one, that the NBA players read books to kids in inner cities.

That's a contribution to society.

I think.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Agreed.

Disneyworld transformed the Orlando economy whereas NBA franchises never do.

Where would Orlando be without Disney?

Where will Seattle be without a sports franchise? Not economically poorer. May the NBA fold for all I care, it's a worthless piece of crap. It's bunch wealthy businessmen basically playing with public financing laughing at the stupid taxpayers.

Good for Seattle.
This thread has now completely shifted gears.

SU's original premise was that we as tax payers in SoCal are paying Kobe Bryant's "$30M" salary. Now it seems we are debating whether an NBA team or Disney has a greater economic impact in Orlando?

As I recall, you were one of the 6 people who voted blindly in SU's poll, so no shock that you are now also trying to deflect attention away from the embarrassingly sloppy premise with which you agreed.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This thread has now completely shifted gears.

SU's original premise was that we as tax payers in SoCal are paying Kobe Bryant's "$30M" salary. Now it seems we are debating whether an NBA team or Disney has a greater economic impact in Orlando?

As I recall, you were one of the 6 people who voted blindly in SU's poll, so no shock that you are now also trying to deflect attention away from the embarrassingly sloppy premise with which you agreed.
I understood his point.

If a business receives indirect support form taxpayers, it indirectly affects the business's ability to pay its employees.

You understood it, but you don't want anybody to touch your beloved lakers.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #50
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I understood his point.

If a business receives indirect support form taxpayers, it indirectly affects the business's ability to pay its employees.

You understood it, but you don't want anybody to touch your beloved lakers.
I still disagree with the premise. I fairly pointed out that likely hundreds of buildings in any city were financed through muni bonds. Does that make every employee within them a scourge?

SU is grandstanding by comparing local civic attempts to revitalize tourism and taxes with our youth dying in Iraq.

Interestingly, our brave soldiers overseas.....they follow their sports teams pretty religiously. I doubt they have any problems with their teams receiving muni bonds for stadia.