cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I ran my first trail race Saturday

It was part of Draper Trail Day. They had a 4, 6, 10 and 15 mile route. I wanted to do the 15, but the closing ceremonies for my boy's baseball league were at 10:00, so I had to just do the 10 miler.

I really had a good time. I've gotta work on the hills, though. I was getting my trash kicked during the first 3-4 miles, so I slowed down a bit. I passed quite a few people who had to walk, so I think I managed it about right. Tried to pick up a bit of speed on the downhills, and took a bit of a pounding. Ended up turning my right ankle twice and my left ankle once, but they're not sore today, so no harm done. I went for an 8 miler this morning (I'm a sinner), to get my legs loose, and they feel great.

I'm definitely going to get into the trail running more. I loved it. I did get lost a bit and ended up going 10.6 miles instead of 10, so my results were skewed. There were a couple of guys I know I was ahead of who were at the finish line when I got there, so I obviously missed a turn somewhere. I didn't really care, though, I enjoyed the extra mileage. I had no idea trail running is so much fun.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
It was part of Draper Trail Day. They had a 4, 6, 10 and 15 mile route. I wanted to do the 15, but the closing ceremonies for my boy's baseball league were at 10:00, so I had to just do the 10 miler.

I really had a good time. I've gotta work on the hills, though. I was getting my trash kicked during the first 3-4 miles, so I slowed down a bit. I passed quite a few people who had to walk, so I think I managed it about right. Tried to pick up a bit of speed on the downhills, and took a bit of a pounding. Ended up turning my right ankle twice and my left ankle once, but they're not sore today, so no harm done. I went for an 8 miler this morning (I'm a sinner), to get my legs loose, and they feel great.

I'm definitely going to get into the trail running more. I loved it. I did get lost a bit and ended up going 10.6 miles instead of 10, so my results were skewed. There were a couple of guys I know I was ahead of who were at the finish line when I got there, so I obviously missed a turn somewhere. I didn't really care, though, I enjoyed the extra mileage. I had no idea trail running is so much fun.
Trail running is a lot of fun, but you have to expect to run up steep hills and hurt. I think you have the makings of an ultra marathoner. You should consider building up to one.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Trail running is a lot of fun, but you have to expect to run up steep hills and hurt. I think you have the makings of an ultra marathoner. You should consider building up to one.
I would like to take a shot at training for and doing a 50 miler. But I have to clear it with the spouse first, she gets annoyed when I'm just training for marathons.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I would like to take a shot at training for and doing a 50 miler. But I have to clear it with the spouse first, she gets annoyed when I'm just training for marathons.
http://www.bhs50.com/

come run the 50k next year

look at that profile:

you can sleep on my couch when you are done.

The 50 mile looks like a killer
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

My aunt ran a marathon where you ran about 3 miles and then went up 100 steps, 3 miles 100 steps. It was 50 miles long.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I don't know if I could even get trained for something like that in a year.