cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salt Lake Half Marathon

Ran it on Saturday. It turned out ok. My plan after my disastrous half two weeks ago was just to come in under 2 hours this time.

I should have lined up farther back at the start, because I got caught up in the wave, and found myself running a 7:45/mile pace for the first three miles. I have no business running that fast for anything over a 5k, and I definitely paid for it later. I was good until about 9 miles, my overall pace was about 8:19/mile, and then I hit the wall.

I've never had to walk during a half marathon, but I had to take brief walk breaks starting at about mile 9. So my pace kept getting slower and slower. With about 3/4 mile left in the race, I was pretty much spent. I was walking a lot, and all of a sudden someone slapped me really hard on the back, which woke me up from my funk. I looked over and it was a girl from my office. So I started running with her, and we did the 3/4 mile at a 7:50 pace. She really helped me out a ton. She's a good runner, she finished in the top 6% of all women in the half.

Anyway, I finished in 1:53. Six minutes slower than last year, which kind of bugs me, but I was much better about running through the winter in '06 than I was last year. This was also a good lesson about not starting out too fast. I tried to hang on the last 4 miles, but just couldn't do it. Gotta get in better shape.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some day you will be faster than my almost 66 year old mom.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some day you will be faster than my almost 66 year old mom.

I doubt it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Way to gut it out man. It seems to be a real art to pace oneself in such a long race. I wonder if anyone ever really gets it down.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Nice work, RC. 1:53 is a very respectable time, regardless of whether or not you walked. How was the weather this weekend?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Way to gut it out man. It seems to be a real art to pace oneself in such a long race. I wonder if anyone ever really gets it down.
No kidding. I totally suck at it. I definitely need to work on it though, because I've tried racing by starting fast and holding on, and starting slow and speeding up, and they both give me basically the same results. I think I'd do better with an even effort throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Nice work, RC. 1:53 is a very respectable time, regardless of whether or not you walked. How was the weather this weekend?
Weather was fine. It was pretty windy, but it was at our backs as much as it was in our faces, so I can't complain.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just perusing the results page and I recognized 4 people from Redding. The guy that finished 8th overall is a kid that bluegoose and I have raced against many times in the summer and winter 4 mile race series here (when I say raced against I use the term loosely, we started at the same starting line). The other Reddingites are now from Highland; I see my old bishop ran a 6:57 pace at age 46. I didn't realize how big that race is.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote