cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Wanting to actually KILL anyone that is not a physical threat to you or anyone else seems psychopathic to me no matter how upset or angry you are. Now this guy calmed down enough to burn their clothes instead of shooting them but in the instant when he was angry enough to pull a gun he was psychopathic.
psychopath defined:

Quote:
a person suffering from mental aberrations and disorders, especially one who perceives reality clearly except for his or her own social or moral obligations and seeks instant gratification in criminal or otherwise abnormal behavior.
Quote:
an individual with no superego or conscience; because of this deficit, the person often engages in extensive antisocial behavior.
He may be a lot of things, but I am not sure psychopath is the right term.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #32
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wanting to actually KILL anyone that is not a physical threat to you or anyone else seems psychopathic to me no matter how upset or angry you are. Now this guy calmed down enough to burn their clothes instead of shooting them but in the instant when he was angry enough to pull a gun he was psychopathic.

He pulled a gun out (allegedly) but he didn't shoot it. That is not psychopathic.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
psychopath defined:

He may be a lot of things, but I am not sure psychopath is the right term.
I said it was psychopathic

psychopathic definition: Relating to or affected with an antisocial personality disorder that is usually characterized by aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior.

He may not actually have a mental disorder classified as psychopathy but the behavior of pulling a gun can be characterized as aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior.

His later actions of burning the clothes give weight to the notion that he is not a psychopath. However, pulling the gun on his wife and teenage lover in and of itself seems psychopathic to me, and it is quite possible that he does infact have a phychological disorder.

I am not a doctor and obviously I am not treating this guy, but I would wager just about anything that part of his sentance will include anger management sessions with a psychiatrist. Maybe, just maybe the courts would agree that pulling a gun on your spouse and teenage lover is psychopathic.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #34
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I am reminded by all this that when I was a new associate, my mentor and friend, a proud Princetonian, told me that his goal was to die when he was 90, shot by a jealous 25 year-old husband. My friend is 76 now, and on track to achieving his dream.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What if he never intended to shoot, but only intended to put the fear of God into the two lovers?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I am reminded by all this that when I was a new associate, my mentor and friend, a proud Princetonian, told me that his goal was to die when he was 90, shot by a jealous 25 year-old husband. My friend is 76 now, and on track to achieving his dream.
He's almost 90 and much closer to death.

2 out of 3 is not bad.

PS Speaking of "almost," wouldnt it be a cruel joke by the Fates if, by some miracle, he is able to hook up with a young mistress....he sets it up perfectly so that he will be caught.....the young man comes home and finds them.....in a Rit of Fealous Jage the 25 year old husband shoots him....and as he takes his last breaths of life and the darkness is enshrouding him, satisfied that he has finally achieved his lifelong goal, the husband comes over, leans down to him and tells him, "Sorry, but I am not jealous."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What if he never intended to shoot, but only intended to put the fear of God into the two lovers?
Instead of pulling a gun, he should have simply congratulated the guy for not refusing sex when it was offered to him.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #38
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

....and as he takes his last breaths of life and the darkness is enshrouding him, satisfied that he has finally achieved his lifelong goal, the husband comes over, leans down to him and tells him, "Sorry, but I am not jealous."
Nice. I say we film it in black and white.

On the other hand, I envision the scene much like the bit in Braveheart when the French princess tells Longshanks the kid she's carrying isn't his grandson, and he seizes up in agonizing recognition of his loss.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #39
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

2 out of 3 is not bad.

PS Speaking of "almost," wouldnt it be a cruel joke by the Fates if, by some miracle, he is able to hook up with a young mistress....he sets it up perfectly so that he will be caught.....the young man comes home and finds them.....in a Rit of Fealous Jage the 25 year old husband shoots him....and as he takes his last breaths of life and the darkness is enshrouding him, satisfied that he has finally achieved his lifelong goal, the husband comes over, leans down to him and tells him, "Sorry, but I am not jealous."
Or, the young husband could find the two of them and paraphrase the Henny Youngman joke:

"Dude, I have to - but you?!?"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Of course, she has legal standing, but I still think the school board should discipline, if not fire her for fooling around with any student, even one who is of age.
Absolutely. Although I understand & can sympathize with an unattached woman who 'falls in love' with an adult student, that understanding does not excuse the woman from the consequences of actions taken while she is teaching that student.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote