cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Pulling a gun in that situation is psychopathIC. The fact that he burned their clothes may demonstrate that he is not a psychopath but it does not classify his gun brandishing behavior as non-psycopathic.
I disagree. His behavior was human. His "crime" was one of passion, not psychopathy.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Now this is where I say, "here we go again." This has been hashed out before on this site, but I just got to say that if the husband was a proctor father doing a 16-year-old girl you would not make the same statement. There's a double standard where there shouldn't be.
Yes. Society would be much harsher if it were the husband getting it on with a 16-yr-old girl. No question.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I'm not aware of a more effective way of saying "get off my wife and the hell out of my home".

I guess I'm in the minority here, but while probably not the right thing to do, pulling a gun in this situation is understandable. Shooting it is another matter, but brandishing it is not inexcusable. The judge should give him a slap on the wrist.
Pulling a gun on someone in clear anger is assault with a deadly weapon....a felony. Fairly problematic given that he was in absolutely NO physical danger himself.

Pulling a gun to escalate a situation when there is no physical danger is crazy.

If he was pissed, he should have simply given the kid a beatdown with his fists. Or grabbed him and tossed him out the front door.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
This sort of thing always baffles me. I don't know many men who, if their wife asked for more frequent sex, wouldn't be more than willing to go for it.
Also, I really doubt that these women who prey on teenage boys are doing so because they are not getting enough sex from their husbands or boyfriends. They are pedophiles and they get some sick satisfaction out of having sex with boys that they don't get when they are with grown men.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My French teacher at East High in SLC got pregnant by one of her 12th grade students. Since he was 18 at the time, she kept her job and everything.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
My French teacher at East High in SLC got pregnant by one of her 12th grade students. Since he was 18 at the time, she kept her job and everything.
Was she married?

I don't condone the ethics myself, but I can understand someone who would feel the lines are blurred in a situation with a legal adult student and unattached, female teacher.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It has been a long time, but I seem to recall from my Crim Law class that there was actually a common law defense IF you caught your wife messing around and then shot her or the lover. Any help on this one?
The Murder of Eratosthenes by Euphiletus
Ca. 400 BCE.

http://www.stoa.org/diotima/antholog...osthenes.shtml

Yes, it has been a long time.

2400 years.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Was she married?

I don't condone the ethics myself, but I can understand someone who would feel the lines are blurred in a situation with a legal adult student and unattached, female teacher.
Of course, she has legal standing, but I still think the school board should discipline, if not fire her for fooling around with any student, even one who is of age.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Pulling a gun in that situation is psychopathIC. The fact that he burned their clothes may demonstrate that he is not a psychopath but it does not classify his gun brandishing behavior as non-psycopathic.
IT may have foolish and hot-headed but wanting to kill a cheating spouse in the heat of the moment is not psychopathic. And pulling something to scare them doesn't appear to meet any rational definition in my book.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #30
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
IT may have foolish and hot-headed but wanting to kill a cheating spouse in the heat of the moment is not psychopathic. And pulling something to scare them doesn't appear to meet any rational definition in my book.
Wanting to actually KILL anyone that is not a physical threat to you or anyone else seems psychopathic to me no matter how upset or angry you are. Now this guy calmed down enough to burn their clothes instead of shooting them but in the instant when he was angry enough to pull a gun he was psychopathic.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote