cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #31
FMCoug

FMCoug

I think I've crossed some sort of fat guy threshold on the exercising. I've been doing 5 miles / day on the treadmill and have had the bike out twice in the last few days doing 3-5 miles each. Couldn't have dreamed of that even two weeks ago.

I know I have a long way to go but the fact that the 5 miles doesn't seem so hard anymore is encouragin. I think next week I'll up the speed to try to get my heart rate a bit higher. Been at about 65-70% at this speed.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I know I have a long way to go but the fact that the 5 miles doesn't seem so hard anymore is encouragin.
One thing that I learned when I started to run long distances is that a big part of being able to do it is just wrapping your mind around going that far. At one time, the thought of running 26 miles seemed completely absurd, but now, even though it's still challenging, I know I can do it. I'm thinking about trying a 50 miler later this year.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #33
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Nice work FM.

I agree about the exercise threshold. If you stick with it consistently for a couple of more weeks, I think your endurance will go way up. Those 3-5 mile rides will easily become 10-15 mile rides.

I don't know about needing to go any further with walking on the treadmill. 5 miles is quite a jaunt. Be careful with increasing speed too quickly. if anything, all you need to do is increase the grade 1-2% to notice a big increase in your work load.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #34
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

BTW FM,

I've never been one to track calories. Ever. But after checking out that fitday website, I decided to give it a try for a month. I would love to lose 8-10 pounds by my first century in May.

Its a good website. I think all of the calcuations and estimates are spot on.

its amazing how much food I can pack in when I want to. A couple of weeks ago on fast sunday I ate 2,100 calories from dinner at 5 pm until about 9:00 that night. Last saturday I easily put away over 3,000 calories, but that was after a tough 50 mile bike ride that morning, still leaving me at a 2,000 calorie deficit for the day. I could have easily eaten twice that, had I wanted.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #35
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default influenza sucks

So I posted elsewhere that I went to the ER on Friday after a serioulsy bad night with fever, coughing, trouble breathing, etc. I have asthma and have had pneumonia before and this seemed MUCH worse.

So I went to the ER and got a chest x-ray and flu test (they said it was a nasal swab but I'm pretty sure it was a brain swab via the nostrils). Doc comes in after a bit and says she has some bad news. Then proceeds to tell me that the chest xray was clear but that I had the flu. "That's bad news?" Yes because we can't do much to treat it. 8-10 days, plenty of fluids, keep the fever down with Tylenol, etc. So I spend the next 3 days in a feverish, aching, painful, coughing, death wish type of state.

But I'm now back to where I feel "normal" sick if there is such a thing. Head cold, cough, type of deal.

Needless to say, the exercise program went out the window for about a week. But I didn't eat much so still lost 3 lbs for a total of 15 since I started this.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #36
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default influenza sucks

So I posted elsewhere that I went to the ER on Friday after a serioulsy bad night with fever, coughing, trouble breathing, etc. I have asthma and have had pneumonia before and this seemed MUCH worse.

So I went to the ER and got a chest x-ray and flu test (they said it was a nasal swab but I'm pretty sure it was a brain swab via the nostrils). Doc comes in after a bit and says she has some bad news. Then proceeds to tell me that the chest xray was clear but that I had the flu. "That's bad news?" Yes because we can't do much to treat it. 8-10 days, plenty of fluids, keep the fever down with Tylenol, etc. So I spend the next 3 days in a feverish, aching, painful, coughing, nausea, death wish type of state.

But I'm now back to where I feel "normal" sick if there is such a thing. Head cold, cough, type of deal.

Needless to say, the exercise program went out the window for about a week. But I didn't eat much so still lost 3 lbs for a total of 15 since I started this.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #37
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My little girl was diagnosed with Influenza B two weeks ago. We were prepared for the worst, but thankfully no one else in the family got it. Hope you're better soon.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

For those of you that have recently had the flu or had family members with the flu I would recommend reading "The Great Influenza". The flu scares me.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 AM   #39
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Well I survived the flu

last week was my first full week back at work and I was completely wiped out so no exercise. But I rested up some more over the weekend and I'm determined to get back on track this week. Still have some lingering symptoms but I just have to get going again. Did 3 miles on the treadmill tonight ... down from the 5/day I was doing but I figure a good start back.

The good news is I didn't gain anything back during the hiatus.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #40
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
last week was my first full week back at work and I was completely wiped out so no exercise. But I rested up some more over the weekend and I'm determined to get back on track this week. Still have some lingering symptoms but I just have to get going again. Did 3 miles on the treadmill tonight ... down from the 5/day I was doing but I figure a good start back.

The good news is I didn't gain anything back during the hiatus.
I got the flu on or around the 18th of February (see http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16972 ) AND I STILL HAVE SYMPTOMS!. I thought I was on the verge of Pneumonia but the Doc says no. It has been the hardest thing to get rid of I have ever had. Good luck to you.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote