cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
venomous viper

venomous viper is on a distinguished road
Smile congrats on the weight loss you guys!!! Having been

up and down my entire life, , I know how rough it is on the body to carry extra sand bags around. As you get older, like me, everything gets harder as we become more sedentary. At 362 pounds, and 46 years old, and only 5'6" with a 67 inch waist, I had the gastric bypass surgery. This was 1994. I lost 32 pounds the FIRST week in hospital and lost 212 pounds in 13 months. I've done well for the most part keeping it off. Lots of walking and softball. I have a 20 pound buffer. When I hit 170, I go back on hi protein and lo carbs. I hit that # of 170 after a couple cruises and Christmas. I'm back down to 159 and 9 pounds to go. It has been a lifelong struggle for me. Imagine carrying TWO 100 pound bags of concrete around and then dropping them!! Energy unleashed. Good luck to all of us with this cross that some of us bear.. Congrats to you all!!! It's not easy.
venomous viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #42
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous viper View Post
up and down my entire life, , I know how rough it is on the body to carry extra sand bags around. As you get older, like me, everything gets harder as we become more sedentary. At 362 pounds, and 46 years old, and only 5'6" with a 67 inch waist, I had the gastric bypass surgery. This was 1994. I lost 32 pounds the FIRST week in hospital and lost 212 pounds in 13 months. I've done well for the most part keeping it off. Lots of walking and softball. I have a 20 pound buffer. When I hit 170, I go back on hi protein and lo carbs. I hit that # of 170 after a couple cruises and Christmas. I'm back down to 159 and 9 pounds to go. It has been a lifelong struggle for me. Imagine carrying TWO 100 pound bags of concrete around and then dropping them!! Energy unleashed. Good luck to all of us with this cross that some of us bear.. Congrats to you all!!! It's not easy.
Holy crap, you must feel like a completely different person. Congrats on changing your life expectancy drastically.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Holy crap, you must feel like a completely different person. Congrats on changing your life expectancy drastically.
He's lost a whole other person.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #44
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Viper. I know of more than 10 co-workers who have had the same surgery. One observation that I have is that it seems to be tougher for the women to keep the weight off. Most of the women I know who have had the surgery are obese again after just 2 years. Of the men I know, not one has become obese again.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #45
fuegote

fuegote

228 lbs. down 34 since starting.

I also did an indoor sprint triathlon this morning. Just brutal, but I finished it.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #46
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

The other day I learned that a former EQP of mine 7 years ago, who weighed 612 lbs at the time, had the surgery, got under 250 lbs, and for the first time in his adult life he felt good about himself and it ruined his marriage. He was thrilled to have some women give him a second look and he began hitting on them, and even creeped out the young women in his ward. He has since gone inactive, lost his wife and lost his house.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #47
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Down to 242 from Jan 3rd. 26 pounds.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #48
fuegote

fuegote

I didn't lose this week but my dinner at Carver's on Friday night was out of this world.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #49
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Lost another two pounds. Down to 240.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #50
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Down to 237 now. 31 pounds lost since Jan 3rd.