cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who says they didn't do research? Because House says something inaccurate, that means the writers didn't do research? Do you out-source your logic to the same place tooblue does?
Direct your question at the TV Critic who wrote the article...he's the one saying it...not me.

I'm simply pointing out that I don't think it's wrong for a TV Critic too point what he see's as inconsistencies. Whether you agree with him or not isn't the point.

Pointing out and whining about other peoples inconsistencies or lack of research or knowledge in their viewpoints...well...It's something done often on this site, so I'm a bit suprised some on here would have a problem with him doing the same thing, especially since that's what he's paid to do...offer his opinion.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 10-30-2007 at 10:14 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #42
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Who says they didn't do research? Because House says something inaccurate, that means the writers didn't do research? Do you out-source your logic to the same place tooblue does?
Hey now, if you want to insult me do it directly not by proxy -coward! I thought the article was interesting. I don't think they have done much research. Of course I have only watched one episode but that was enough for me to change the channel or turn the tv off.

By the way I trust my outsourced logic more than ya'll's outsourced texas style logic especially if you are the poster boy.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see someone saying "I hate that stereotypes are being perpetuated" but that is much different than "they didn't do their homework".

The ironic thing is that stereotypes about Mormons, from what I hear, are being shattered. But you will always have some numbskull who can't figure out why Legacy isn't shown on network TV around the clock. These people should be ignored for their stupidity.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #44
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
"House" is one of the very few shows that I watch every week, so perhaps I can provide some perspective.

The main character, Dr. House, is an obnoxious atheist misanthrope who is constantly doing things that are illegal and unethical in order to benefit his patients. The basic idea behind his character is that he probably cares about his patients, but that his motivation for being such an excellent doctor is personal pride more than anything. Some atheists think this show is a coup for raising awareness for atheism, while some see it as an affront, as Dr. House embodies the inaccurate stereotypes that many people have of atheists. I just think it's a good show and think he's an interesting character, so I don't mind either way.

Cole, the Mormon character on the show, if anything represents a coup for mormon awareness. Sure, House throws some pretty funny and stereotypical insults at him, but Cole stands his ground, proves that the well being of others is more important to him than some of the more trivial Mormon practices, is black, is an unmarried father, and just an all-around regular, non-fanatical person.

In the last episode, he even punched House in the face in response to one of his insults, which I'm sure a lot of Mormon viewers cheered at.

The deseret news article is the result of a small mind.
And maybe he's catering to the small minds that watch House
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #45
tooblue

Quote:
I can see someone saying "I hate that stereotypes are being perpetuated" but that is much different than "they didn't do their homework".

The ironic thing is that stereotypes about Mormons, from what I hear, are being shattered. But you will always have some numbskull who can't figure out why Legacy isn't shown on network TV around the clock. These people should be ignored for their stupidity.
What if it goes beyond the perpetuation of stereotypes? If it is creative and witty as you have inferred wouldn't the writing push beyond stereotypes and delve deeper into the dynamics --conflict, irony, angst-- of life as a Mormon in modern society?

It's slap dash writing by default and therefore NOT based on (even) basic research.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-30-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tex, the writers of House, aren't aware that Big Love isn't about mainstream LDS? Is that what you honestly believe?
This is supposed to persuade that they've done their research?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is supposed to persuade that they've done their research?
House makes misanthropic comment about Mormons NOT because he is a misanthrope, but because the writers are lazy. Got it. Thanks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #48
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
House makes misanthropic comment about Mormons NOT because he is a misanthrope, but because the writers are lazy. Got it. Thanks.
Whether or not the writers are aware of the background of Big Love says nothing about their research on the LDS Church or its beliefs.

It's kinda fun to watch you pound your fist at people who draw conclusions from observations no less shaky than your own.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #49
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
It's slap dash writing by default and therefore NOT based on (even) basic research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Whether or not the writers are aware of the background of Big Love says nothing about their research on the LDS Church or its beliefs.

This is the whiny attitude of which I speak. House is an ass, that's his schtick. So he makes fun of the Mormon guy on the show too, sometimes using the low hanging fruit to do it. How much research does that take? Our history provides plenty of opportunity for mockery with limited research, why should we expect them to do more? For heaven's sake, imagine what fun they could have if they did do more. Perhaps you should be glad that (in your opinions at least) they haven't.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #50
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
This is the whiny attitude of which I speak. House is an ass, that's his schtick. So he makes fun of the Mormon guy on the show too, sometimes using the low hanging fruit to do it. How much research does that take? Our history provides plenty of opportunity for mockery with limited research, why should we expect them to do more? For heaven's sake, imagine what fun they could have if they did do more. Perhaps you should be glad that (in your opinions at least) they haven't.
I don't expect more, I'm simply fatigued by it ... I change the channel.