cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Black, single parent, active(?) Mormon, and BYU grad.

That's far enough for me. I don't need to get into the other nonsense to recognize this is unrealistic.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-30-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Assisting SIEQ's reading comprehension.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #32
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Black, single parent, active(?) Mormon, and BYU grad.

That's far enough for me. I don't need to get into the other nonsense to recognize this is a fantasy.
I'll nominate this for the "too much information" award.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
More annoying than anything a show's writers could conjure up is this inevitable whiny article about how the writers don't do their research, don't know much about Mormons etc... I expect to receive a grassroots email any day now telling me to boycott.
What's wrong with a TV Critic (like in this article) pointing out that it's obvious the writers didn't do any research?

The intellectual mullahs on here are the first to pitch shit fits if someone hasn't taken the time to research something.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
What's wrong with a TV Critic (like in this article) pointing out that it's obvious the writers didn't do any research?

The intellectual mullahs on here are the first to pitch shit fits if someone hasn't taken the time to research something.
Who says they didn't do research? Because House says something inaccurate, that means the writers didn't do research? Do you out-source your logic to the same place tooblue does?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #35
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Who says they didn't do research? Because House says something inaccurate, that means the writers didn't do research? Do you out-source your logic to the same place tooblue does?
The presumption is that writers who do research wouldn't deliberately put inaccuracies in their scripts.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The presumption is that writers who do research wouldn't deliberately put inaccuracies in their scripts.
Why not? I have often heard things said to me "So how many wives do you have?"

Most are kidding, most realize mainstream Mormons don't practice polygamy. That a hater like House would purposefully twist things and make things appear worse to shame another person--come on--that's exactly what the writers intend.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #37
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

"House" is one of the very few shows that I watch every week, so perhaps I can provide some perspective.

The main character, Dr. House, is an obnoxious atheist misanthrope who is constantly doing things that are illegal and unethical in order to benefit his patients. The basic idea behind his character is that he probably cares about his patients, but that his motivation for being such an excellent doctor is personal pride more than anything. Some atheists think this show is a coup for raising awareness for atheism, while some see it as an affront, as Dr. House embodies the inaccurate stereotypes that many people have of atheists. I just think it's a good show and think he's an interesting character, so I don't mind either way.

Cole, the Mormon character on the show, if anything represents a coup for mormon awareness. Sure, House throws some pretty funny and stereotypical insults at him, but Cole stands his ground, proves that the well being of others is more important to him than some of the more trivial Mormon practices, is black, is an unmarried father, and just an all-around regular, non-fanatical person.

In the last episode, he even punched House in the face in response to one of his insults, which I'm sure a lot of Mormon viewers cheered at.

The deseret news article is the result of a small mind.

Last edited by woot; 10-30-2007 at 10:11 PM.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #38
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
come on--that's exactly what the writers intend.
You're making the very assumption that you criticized RockyBalboa for. How do you know what the writers intend?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-30-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #39
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're making the very assumption that you criticized RockyBalboa for. How do you know what the writers intend?
It's very obvious if you're familiar with the show. House makes fun of everyone, and is rarely constrained by accuracy.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Tex, the writers of House, aren't aware that Big Love isn't about mainstream LDS? Is that what you honestly believe?

Lingo is like Tex without the IQ. Tex is like Indy without the IQ.