cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
btw, could they have picked a more unlikely person? A single-father, black Mormon doctor. Does one even exist? The only thing more unlikely would be a female black Mormon doctor, followed by a female Mormon doctor.
Ain't my fault you live in the south I personally know more than one female Mormon doctors along with many single, successful male and female black Mormons!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
First, it's a character on a fictional tv show, they can make him be whatever they want him to be. I don't see that tv shows in general put any more research or respect into characters of other religious persuasions. Second, probably only half of all Mormons are hardcore/active LDS so somebody who is not portrayed as a perfectly faithful LDS on a tv show is probably representative of a good number of Mormons.
I understand that it's a fictional character ... I simply don't watch tv, regardless of the fact shows contain poorly written Mormon characters or poorly written physically challenged doctor with a bad bed side manner.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-30-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I understand the difference ... problem is the general populace believes Michael Moore is a documentary film maker And let's not forget Al Gore was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize
Michael Moore is a documentary film maker. There is nothing about the documentary genre of film that requires political neutrality or equal representation of voices.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Michael Moore is a documentary film maker. There is nothing about the documentary genre of film that requires political neutrality or equal representation of voices.
or truth
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tooblue, it's interesting to see you struggle with the dark side (the mullah-side). Embrace it! "EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATES IN THAT SHOW OR WATCHES THAT SHOW IS GOING TO H-E-L-L!"

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I beg to differ that he's followed the genre honestly and accurately. He's clearly an advocate and disingenuous at best.

Before Moore, most documentaries tried to have some truthfulness. But I haven't reviewed numerous documentaries.

I remember the most famous one of Supersize Me, which seemed to make a point and not to exaggerate things.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen many, many documentaries that take a position. It's the rare one that doesn't appear to take one.

Everything from family farms closing to the absurdity of war.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #18
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I beg to differ that he's followed the genre honestly and accurately. He's clearly an advocate and disingenuous at best.

Before Moore, most documentaries tried to have some truthfulness. But I haven't reviewed numerous documentaries.

I remember the most famous one of Supersize Me, which seemed to make a point and not to exaggerate things.
Of the various modes of documentary--poetic, expository, participatory, observational, reflexive, and performative, Moore's work is in the expository mode. He's the flip side of Capra's work in "Why We Fight."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Documentary ...

"Movies, Television. based on or re-creating an actual event, era, life story, etc., that purports to be factually accurate and contains no fictional element"
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
tooblue

Quote:
Of the various modes of documentary--poetic, expository, participatory, observational, reflexive, and performative, Moore's work is in the expository mode. He's the flip side of Capra's work in "Why We Fight."
I understand there are nuances, and I am certain the general public does not. He is a myth-maker and fictionist.