cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
One more thing: The Rape of Nanking is important to understand not just because it is a major historical event of WWII, but because it has a bearing our current world politics. While the details of this event may not be well-known or understood in the west, you can rest assured that all Chinese and Koreans know about it and most still hate the Japanese for it. It is a strong undercurrent to Asian politics.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out of the library and read it after I'm done with "The Kite Runner."
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Wow... after reading up on this, I can only ask, "Why?"

Why the brutality? Why the complete disregard for human life and decency?
Chang explores this in her book. The Japanese military establishment taught the soldiers to believe that the Japanese were a superior race favored by God and that the Chinese were subhuman; no better then rats or dogs. The Japanese had also been dominated by the Chinese in a cultural sense for 2000 years (writing systems, government, inventions, etc.) and so that played into the dynamics to a certain degree. I.e., this fed into the Japanese people's eagerness to demonstrate their superiority. Another factor is simply that they had just finished a brutal campaign and the Japanese had lost quite a few fellow soldiers. When the commanders not only allowed, but encouraged the soldiers to have their way with the local populace, they let loose with a vengeance.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Not certain if that's the book, but here's one online.

http://books.google.com/books?id=REP...#PRA1-PA271,M1
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #24
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One more thing: The Rape of Nanking is important to understand not just because it is a major historical event of WWII, but because it has a bearing our current world politics. While the details of this event may not be well-known or understood in the west, you can rest assured that all Chinese and Koreans know about it and most still hate the Japanese for it. It is a strong undercurrent to Asian politics.
I'm shocked at your use of the word hate. It's not nearly strong enough.

I never let on that I speak Japanese and/or that I'm a Japanophile in the presence of Asians of other nationalities if I can help it.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #25
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chang explores this in her book. The Japanese military establishment taught the soldiers to believe that the Japanese were a superior race favored by God and that the Chinese were subhuman; no better then rats or dogs. The Japanese had also been dominated by the Chinese in a cultural sense for 2000 years (writing systems, government, inventions, etc.) and so that played into the dynamics to a certain degree. I.e., this fed into the Japanese people's eagerness to demonstrate their superiority. Another factor is simply that they had just finished a brutal campaign and the Japanese had lost quite a few fellow soldiers. When the commanders not only allowed, but encouraged the soldiers to have their way with the local populace, they let loose with a vengeance.
And then you add to this the general Japanese belief that they were, in fact, a divinely appointed people, as evidenced by their direct progenitor the Sun Goddess (or rather, their Emperor's direct progenitor) and as further proven through the dual typhoons that saved them from two invasions by the Mongols circa 1300 or so. This is, in fact, where the phrase "kamikaze" (lit., wind of the gods) came from, and is further reflected in their "kamikaze" pilots. The very acts of those pilots was evidence of their belief that they, as a nation (or, rather, an ethnicity), were invincible and had unique divine protection.

That's why the surrender was so demoralizing to Japan as a whole, and in part explains the complete reverse course they took as a nation after WWII.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #26
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I'm shocked at your use of the word hate. It's not nearly strong enough.

I never let on that I speak Japanese and/or that I'm a Japanophile in the presence of Asians of other nationalities if I can help it.
You're very correct. Working in New Jersey where I'm one of the few white boys, my wife being Filipino, and spending much of my time in Asia I run into a lot of anti-Japanese feelings. And these are younger people. Late 30's and younger.

I started my mission in Tokyo before being hit by a car. So I had a little bit of a soft spot for Japan and their culture. Then I started speaking to other Asians. It amazed me that most of Asia seems to absolutely despise Japan. The little research that I've done was shocking. To most Americans the Japanese are seen as a proper, polite, smart culture who made a poor decision in WWII. To lots of Asians, especially the less advanced and industrial countries, Japan is seen as a terrifying bully who if the US wasn't there, would again attempt to make them their slaves in every sense of the word.

Filipino's love Americans simply because we freed them twice. From the oppression of Spain and the torture of Japan. A lot of the smaller Asian countries are greatful for our presence there. China and North Korea obviously are exceptions.

All that said, I love Japan. I think the people are wonderful. I think the country is beautiful. They treat their elderly much better than anything we see in the US. There is much there that the US could take a lesson or two from.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote