cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Okinawans protest revisions to World War II history

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/08/news/japan.php
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Bravo to the Okinawans. The Japanese have a long and sordid history of lying about WWII.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

I'd never heard of that facet of Japanese WWII history. It's shocking, but knowing the Japanese and their other acts during WWII, it really doesn't surprise me all that much.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

No Chinese were every harmed by the peace-loving Japanese rescuers from capitalistic dogs.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I think had I killed my own mother, brother, and sister, I would want to kill myself.

It constantly amazes me in what state of mind a man must be to commit these crimes against anyone, much less his immediate family.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut99002 View Post
I'd never heard of that facet of Japanese WWII history. It's shocking, but knowing the Japanese and their other acts during WWII, it really doesn't surprise me all that much.
I've studied many of the events leading up to, and the Japanese actions in, the Pacific theatre in WWII, some of them in depth. As with most of my academic Japanese learning, it's rusty now. With that said, I've gleaned a few opinions from my studies:

1. The Germans were about eliminating certain undesirables. So were the Japanese. The difference is that the undesirables in the case of Japan largely consisted of everybody else. People who recognize the literary reference to "Krikkit" would do well to make that comparison, as I think it's appropriate. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan was the inspiration for Krikkit.

2. Japan spend 2,000 years being the lap-dog of China, and when they got their chance, they exerted their supremacy in every way possible. The Rape of Nanking is one of the most depraved actions I've ever read about.

3. I personally (and there are varying opinions here, so I won't be offended if anybody disagrees vehemently) think that Hirohito was largely a victim in the entire deal. The Japanese emperor, with a few minor exceptions, had not had any real power since sometime in the 7th century A.D. (indeed, that's why the imperial line has lasted so long) and Hirohito was no different. Real power was wielded by the military (they'd essentially performed a coup against the original democracy in place, and the military itself had had sort of a coup by junior officers within a bit earlier in Manchuria). Hirohito, in my opinion, was largely powerless, and his one true contribution was in fact to circumvent the military and sue for peace after the second A-bomb.

4. The Japanese have largely whitewashed their history with respect to WWII. Part of me can hardly blame them, as it's a pretty sordid history. Part of me thinks it's a bit irresponsible. Part of me thinks the rest of Asia should get over it already and shut up already to some extent. All of me thinks that the Japanese government should bite the bullet and give a formal apology to the comfort women. All of me and more thinks that the rest of Asia (especially China) should get N. Korea in control or else Japan may become nuclear in very short order.

I have many, many, many more opinions than this, but I'm sure I've created enough discussion topics for one post.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I've studied many of the events leading up to, and the Japanese actions in, the Pacific theatre in WWII, some of them in depth. As with most of my academic Japanese learning, it's rusty now. With that said, I've gleaned a few opinions from my studies:

1. The Germans were about eliminating certain undesirables. So were the Japanese. The difference is that the undesirables in the case of Japan largely consisted of everybody else. People who recognize the literary reference to "Krikkit" would do well to make that comparison, as I think it's appropriate. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan was the inspiration for Krikkit.

2. Japan spend 2,000 years being the lap-dog of China, and when they got their chance, they exerted their supremacy in every way possible. The Rape of Nanking is one of the most depraved actions I've ever read about.

3. I personally (and there are varying opinions here, so I won't be offended if anybody disagrees vehemently) think that Hirohito was largely a victim in the entire deal. The Japanese emperor, with a few minor exceptions, had not had any real power since sometime in the 7th century A.D. (indeed, that's why the imperial line has lasted so long) and Hirohito was no different. Real power was wielded by the military (they'd essentially performed a coup against the original democracy in place, and the military itself had had sort of a coup by junior officers within a bit earlier in Manchuria). Hirohito, in my opinion, was largely powerless, and his one true contribution was in fact to circumvent the military and sue for peace after the second A-bomb.

4. The Japanese have largely whitewashed their history with respect to WWII. Part of me can hardly blame them, as it's a pretty sordid history. Part of me thinks it's a bit irresponsible. Part of me thinks the rest of Asia should get over it already and shut up already to some extent. All of me thinks that the Japanese government should bite the bullet and give a formal apology to the comfort women. All of me and more thinks that the rest of Asia (especially China) should get N. Korea in control or else Japan may become nuclear in very short order.

I have many, many, many more opinions than this, but I'm sure I've created enough discussion topics for one post.
Amen brother.

Sounds like you have read Iris Chang's book. Correct?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
nikuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Amen brother.

Sounds like you have read Iris Chang's book. Correct?
I know of it, but have not read it. Frankly, I don't have the stomach.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I know of it, but have not read it. Frankly, I don't have the stomach.
Can't say as I blame you. It is not for the faint of heart. But there is actually an uplifting component to it. There was an "Oscar Schindler"-like character in Nanking. He was a Nazi officer who did quite a bit to save Chinese from the Japanese soldiers. His story was largely untold until Iris dug it up and wrote about it in her book.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
nikuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Can't say as I blame you. It is not for the faint of heart. But there is actually an uplifting component to it. There was an "Oscar Schindler"-like character in Nanking. He was a Nazi officer who did quite a bit to save Chinese from the Japanese soldiers. His story was largely untold until Iris dug it up and wrote about it in her book.
I've read of him. Much of the information about the massacre we have comes from his records, as I recall.

For those of you who don't know much about it, wikipedia has an article that's fairly lengthy. Even reading that makes me sick, though.