cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Does Bush have any credibility with you?
Yes, when he speaks I generally believe him 7 38.89%
No; none. His words mean nothing to me. 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
He is president in spite of his lack of intellect. Can you think of another US president with less brains that W? I can't.

Perhaps you believe as Snipe does. W is a genius who simply suffers from word-sequencing issues.
Stupid is relevant.

Clinton was stupid enough to lie and get caught lying about taking advantage of an intern.

Carter was stupid enough to have policies that caused high inflation rates.

Nixon was stupid enough to have hired people who would get caught at the hotel.

Johnson was stupid enough to think the public wouldn't mind sending more troops to Vietnam.

Kennedy was stupid enough to be involved with the mob.

But if you're talking about brain power, I don't know if Bush is as stupid as the left claims he is. He's just not a slick politician who comes across as smart when he speaks. Lots of people are like that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tex thinks Bush is bright? How surprising.

If you think having an opinion that Bush is not too bright is cowardly or uninformed, then your head in not in the sand, it is up your rear.
That's some brilliant analysis there. I'm make sure to pass that memo on to the myriads of people--most recently one of Tony Blair's close aides--who have publicly said they find Bush much more informed and capable than the caricature of him presents.

Quote:
3-1? Hasn't he run for president twice?
Speaking of mid-terms there. We can say 2-0 if you prefer ... still makes the point. Or are we going with the "2000 was stolen" and "Kerry was an idiot" line today?

Quote:
Let me explain this carefully Tex, so you wee little brain can grasp it: I didn't say Bush is stupidest person in the world. I said he could very well be the stupidest US president ever. Huge difference.

Call me crazy, but I think we should have pretty high standards for the most powerful office in the world. Like being able to pronounce "nuclear".
Oh my little brain got it just fine, thanks. Apparently your oversized one didn't understand what I was saying. It's gratifying to know that someone of such intelligence as yourself makes his presidential voting decisions based on the diction of the candidates. Way to pick something important.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you think Bush is wise? Seriously.

(great avatar, BTW)
I seriously think he has wisdom and some dang good values. I seriously think the Clintons don't.

However, I think wise people make mistakes, so I don't think Bush is mistake free.

What I do believe is it is easy to second guess others decisions. You can always say we should of because no one could refute what would have happened we had taken that "should have" course.

Just because a decision doesn't work out, we don't know for sure the alternative would have. If you don't believe me just ask people on their 3rd and 4th marriages.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's some brilliant analysis there. I'm make sure to pass that memo on to the myriads of people--most recently one of Tony Blair's close aides--who have publicly said they find Bush much more informed and capable than the caricature of him presents.
Sure. And there are plenty of insiders who say the opposite. In any case, I don't find too much comfort in "He's not as dumb as he looks."

Quote:
Speaking of mid-terms there. We can say 2-0 if you prefer ... still makes the point. Or are we going with the "2000 was stolen" and "Kerry was an idiot" line today?
Midterms? That's funny.

And what does this have to do with the topic? Try to focus, Tex. Concentrate!

Quote:
It's gratifying to know that someone of such intelligence as yourself makes his presidential voting decisions based on the diction of the candidates. Way to pick something important.
You are still struggling. I never said that was my sole criterion. Come on, Tex. Try to focus.

I actually voted for Bush in round one. About two months into office, it became clear we had all been hoodwinked.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
Tex

Quote:
Sure. And there are plenty of insiders who say the opposite. In any case, I don't find too much comfort in "He's not as dumb as he looks."
Unfortunately for you, that's not what they say. They say, "He's not as dumb as his political enemies would like you to believe."

Might as well ask a bunch of Southern Baptists for an impartial view of Mormons.

Quote:

Midterms? That's funny.

And what does this have to do with the topic? Try to focus, Tex. Concentrate!
What, your oversized brain doesn't get it? He's 2-0 in presidential elections, 3-1 if you count midterms (did well in 2002, poorly in 2006). That means as "stoopid" as he is, he still kicked the crap out his opponents.

So what does that say about them?

Quote:
You are still struggling. I never said that was my sole criterion. Come on, Tex. Try to focus.

I actually voted for Bush in round one. About two months into office, it became clear we had all been hoodwinked.
Right. The first time you heard "nucular" you thought, "That's it. He's the stoopidest President ever."

Ok.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
What, your oversized brain doesn't get it? He's 2-0 in presidential elections, 3-1 if you count midterms (did well in 2002, poorly in 2006). That means as "stoopid" as he is, he still kicked the crap out his opponents.

So what does that say about them?
Listen, if you trying to use midterm elections as proof of Bush's intellect, then this debate is pretty fruitless.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I seriously think he has wisdom and some dang good values. I seriously think the Clintons don't.

However, I think wise people make mistakes, so I don't think Bush is mistake free.

What I do believe is it is easy to second guess others decisions. You can always say we should of because no one could refute what would have happened we had taken that "should have" course.

Just because a decision doesn't work out, we don't know for sure the alternative would have. If you don't believe me just ask people on their 3rd and 4th marriages.
In this case I would say many, many people didn't second guess, but outright disagree with many of Bush's policies. Those policies in hindsight seem to have been based on wishful thinking. I see very little evidence of wisdom at work in GWB's presidency.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #28
Tex

Quote:
Listen, if you trying to use midterm elections as proof of Bush's intellect, then this debate is pretty fruitless.
Now you're just looking for a way out.

"Listen," if you've got policy disagreements with the man, fine. You think he's destroyed the environment, the economy, national security, whatever, fine. Make your argument and we'll talk.

But saying "He's stupid 'cause he can't say nukular" is completely inane.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #29
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LOL. Of all the reasons to dislike or disagree with Bush, the excuse that he is without brain power strikes me as the most cowardly and uninformed. It's the ultimate ostrich-head-in-the-sand moment.

To say nothing of the fact that he's 3-1 in national elections ... what does that say about you and yours?
How many future elections do you think he'll tilt the opposite way? I think it will be at least one and possibly two. Maybe in a worst case scenario three.

His unpopularity was, surely more responisible for the big 2006 defeat than anything the inept, detached, clueless, idiotic, unpatriotic, cowardly, morally bankrupt Democrats (those are paraphrases of your sentiments-please feel free to object). And that makes him persona non grata in his own party.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Now you're just looking for a way out.
LOL.

Tex, you never disappoint.