cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
I find it fascinating how many people are self declared experts on Iraq. Fact is that those of you who have your minds made up on it, will frankly, never change you opinions and all of the information that you see will be filtered through your bias and you will find a way to disregard any sense of progress.

Next fact, things ARE getting better over there. How do I know? Because I talk with the wounded troops on a daily/ weekly basis. They see things getting better over there. The Iraqi people are ratting out the al queda antagonists and the Iranians. The media bias in the US is such that any positive information is seen as being manipulated by the government. Instead, they see their role as antagonistic towards the government. No media outlet other than Fox wants to show what is really happening over there.

Are the Iraqis better off? Won't know for many years to come. What I do know is that after having talked at great length with Iraqi doctors while in Kuwait, they now at the very least have hope for a better Iraq, which before under Sadam was out of question.

I asked one Iraqi surgeon from Baghdad what is feelings and thoughts were when he saw American battle tanks rolling down his street? His response was short and sweet, he said, "It was like taking a breath of fresh air and for the first time in years, I had hope in my heart."

These sentiments are not isolated, they are pervasive in that country.
Thanks for your comments. I'm much more inclined to believe what someone with real ties to the military has to say about the situation than what journalists say.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 AM   #32
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why don't those that support continued intervention in Iraq support helping genocide in Darfur?

Because helping Iraqis is in our own interest, and helping Darfur is not?
Of course, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying this is a bad thing - to have policies be in a nation’s interest?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wouldn't it be great if we knew what "succeeding in Iraq" or "things are getting better in Iraq" even meant. What I hear now is just talk about saving face, "now that we're there we can't give up." I suppose this means because like Hezbollah did after Israel retreated from Lebanon our enemies will declare victory and humiliate us, and raise the moral of more incipient enemies. So what's the end game? When can we say we won? What does that mean? What will be the signs that we "won"?

The whole notion of "democracy" being the objective in Iraq was from its inception either fraudulent or extremely self-deluded. Like that is an easy thing to do; just look at how many peoples have successfully pulled off "democracy" in the 100,000 years humans have had our sized brains. If they have a kit for it (I loved Waters' analogy) I'm sure the Russian people would like to pick one up. Our going there ostenisbly to create democracy must have sounded so surreal to educated Arabs, considering that the Sadis, our best friends over there after Israel, conduct public beheadings after only minimal kangaroo trials. Democracy my ass.

One of the best things I've heard about Iraq was said by Rudy Giulaini. He said that the big mistake was not focusing first on making sure the people had electicity, water, food, basic safety. Do whatever you have to do to retain order and render creature comforts. Worry about democracy after that gets mastered. Get at least a high school education before you try to write a scientific treatise.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #34
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...146880,00.html

Great story. I know that it is an "n" of one. But it is telling of what is really going on over there.

I know for a fact that we have had less casualties comming into my hospital over the past few months.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote