cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #21
Borderline Divine

Borderline Divine
Default Tex

I cannot imagine a scenerio where anything you did would amuse me.

"The Iraqis are fully staffed, and -- and they've got their team in there, but we don't. And so, what Gen. Petraeus is saying -- some early signs, still dangerous, but give me -- give my chance a plan to work" - Your President and Commander-In-Chief, April 27, 2007.
Borderline Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline Divine View Post
I had no idea how dry your wit is. From now on I'll read your posts with a different slant.

Especially your line about Democracy blossoming in Iraq. Everbody here in my office really got a kick out of that.
OK, I guess it depends on what you mean by "blossoming". I took it to mean something that is in the early developmental stages. Maybe you meant it as the fully realized potential.

What do I care about your office? If your office gets a kick out of that statement, based on such a vague metaphor, they must be entertained easily.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What do I care about your office? If your office gets a kick out of that statement, based on such a vague metaphor, they must be entertained easily.
BD works at DailyKos.com. That should explain a lot.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #24
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought he worked for The Onion based on his glory days of clever BYU satire on Cougarboard. Oh, to have the jovial BD back again.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-16-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #25
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Boy am I tired of this argument. For the past three years it's been had too many times to count.

Those who see Iraq as an unmigitated disaster and mistake will never be convinced otherwise.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline Divine
Just keep cheering the cheer and chanting the chant Tex. If you say things are going to get better in Iraq enough times, it must surely come true, right?
FYI, here's the anti-American newspaper, Der Speigel talking about how things are getting better:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._wakes_up.html

Ditto two respected (Democrat) analysts:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=times

Last edited by Tex; 08-16-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Removing attacks.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
FYI, here's the anti-American newspaper, Der Speigel talking about how things are getting better:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._wakes_up.html

Ditto two respected (Democrat) analysts:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=times
Ditto Carl Levin.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293815,00.html
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #28
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ditto Hillary Clinton.

It now appears the Dems are falling all over themselves to try and get ahead of (an anticipated positive) report from General Petraeus.

Anyone heard from Harry "the war is lost" Reid lately? Borderline, where are ya?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/...didates_iraq_6
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #29
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I find it fascinating how many people are self declared experts on Iraq. Fact is that those of you who have your minds made up on it, will frankly, never change you opinions and all of the information that you see will be filtered through your bias and you will find a way to disregard any sense of progress.

Next fact, things ARE getting better over there. How do I know? Because I talk with the wounded troops on a daily/ weekly basis. They see things getting better over there. The Iraqi people are ratting out the al queda antagonists and the Iranians. The media bias in the US is such that any positive information is seen as being manipulated by the government. Instead, they see their role as antagonistic towards the government. No media outlet other than Fox wants to show what is really happening over there.

Are the Iraqis better off? Won't know for many years to come. What I do know is that after having talked at great length with Iraqi doctors while in Kuwait, they now at the very least have hope for a better Iraq, which before under Sadam was out of question.

I asked one Iraqi surgeon from Baghdad what is feelings and thoughts were when he saw American battle tanks rolling down his street? His response was short and sweet, he said, "It was like taking a breath of fresh air and for the first time in years, I had hope in my heart."

These sentiments are not isolated, they are pervasive in that country.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard to have high hopes for Iraqis when you look around at their neighbors.

I briefly listened to BIll O'Reilly's radio show today and he apologized for not doing his "homework" on Iraqis and for being ignorantly optimistic after the invasion.

It's like SU said, it's really completely unfair for us to somehow expect the Iraqis to rise up and create a democracy. As if this is a science kit you buy at the back of a magazine, that can be whipped out and completed in 10 minutes.

There have been many media reports of things getting better. Yet why does every conservative complain that there are no media reports saying things are getting better? It's bizarre.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote