cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Introductions

Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #31
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I also love Top Chef, although I only watched last season (I was rooting for Hung all the way). I record Kitchen Nightmares, but after the last episode am thinking about not doing so anymore. Gordon Ramsey has become way too much of a dick. Since the show is about him, he is always presented as being right, but if he weren't such a massive douchebag people might actually listen to him. I guess that wouldn't make for such good TV though. Maybe I should try to find the British version.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #32
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I also love Top Chef, although I only watched last season (I was rooting for Hung all the way). I record Kitchen Nightmares, but after the last episode am thinking about not doing so anymore. Gordon Ramsey has become way too much of a dick. Since the show is about him, he is always presented as being right, but if he weren't such a massive douchebag people might actually listen to him. I guess that wouldn't make for such good TV though. Maybe I should try to find the British version.
If you watch the BBC version you begin to see why he is such a dick. On those shows he deals mostly with either British chefs who are very stoic or mopey and need a good kick, or French chefs who are arrogant and need to have someone get through to them that they suck. The first couple episodes of the series he was much softer and it didn't work as well.

It is almost a deal where he thinks he has to break them all the way down so that they will accept what he is teaching them. Otherwise, they pretty quickly go back to old habits. I just love the BBC version (1) because there are so many interesting expressions that are funny ("shambolic" is my fav so far) and (2) it seems like the restaurant owners/chefs are more interesting and bigger characters.

I agree that the US version isn't that great so far. Hopefully it gets better. I do like Ramsey.

Last edited by UtahDan; 12-22-2007 at 02:13 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
umm. . .should I be embarrassed to say there have been several? I live in the DC area, so favorite fine dining around here is Inn at Little Washington, which is wonderful, experiential place. But another favorite meal of all time was with friends at Charlie Trotter's in Chicago. I wouldn't say that food was my #1 favorite of all time (though wonderful), but the whole evening with the friends made it the exquisite memory that it is. Best piece of tuna in recent memory was on Maui, and I can't even remember the name of the restaurant. Lahaina, I think. It's almost lunchtime. My mouth is watering.

And I do talk about things other than food.
Patrick's brother is LDS and was in our High Council. The Inn is amazing.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote