cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

The conference was a dog and pony show.

I am sure Yale is happy to lend it's name to these sorts of things. mAYbe we could get a student there now to set us up for a Yale sponsored conferrence on "The Wit and Wisdom of Cougarguard." We could all use a little veneer here.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am sure Yale is happy to lend it's name to these sorts of things. mAYbe we could get a student there now to set us up for a Yale sponsored conferrence on "The Wit and Wisdom of Cougarguard." We could all use a little veneer here.
If we gave them enough money they'd probably say, "Okay, you can call it a Yale whatever."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like you, woot. You're like the recent convert singing loudest in the choir at a church I have attended for a long time. But your posts have evinced a real lack of appreciation for our culture's religious traditions which, unfortunately, isn't unusual among folks who were raised as we were. Your new found enthusiasm for secularism evinces all the steril dismissal of mystery that Einstein found so vexing. (This is not unusual among apostates who were raised as we were.) No post of yours has reaffirmed this quite like the above comment.

Were you aware that St. Augustine is considered perhaps the most imporant philosopher of all time, partly because he may have been the most important means by which Greek philosphy was transmitted to and preserved for our times? Paul created Christian doctrine as an amalgum of Judaism and Greek philosphy. Are you familiar with the works of Dante and John Milton, works of genius recognized as being equal to the Old Testament in terms of their artistry? Were you aware that Martin Luther wrote roomfulls of brilliant stuff? Have you considered the works of Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Vermeer, Rembrandt, and other staggering works of visual arts in Rome and throughout Europe, including the cathedrals and basilicas of late antiquity and the Middle Ages? The music of Bach, Beetoven, Handel, Mozart, Brahms, etc.? All this beauty and philosphical depth was inspired by religious faith, faith in Christianity, pure and simple. Our world would be a bleaker, less awe inspiring, less mysterious (in the Ensteinian sense) place without them, especially if you blot out modern works of genius inspired by the older, religion-inspired masterworks.
I'm not sure where any of this came from, but I'd just like to point out that it is completely off topic, irrelevant to my point, and largely misguided.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #24
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I'm not sure where any of this came from, but I'd just like to point out that it is completely off topic, irrelevant to my point, and largely misguided.
you'll have to excuse him, he's a little senile.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
SU was annoyed that you comapred the depth of mormonism favorably to other christian traditions.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #26
SeattleUte

Quote:
SU was annoyed that you comapred the depth of mormonism favorably to other christian traditions.
creekster, I know you know me well, but I don't know why that should have been so hard to figure out.

LDS chauvenism is bad enough. It becomes even much worse when apostates carry that same limited and limiting view into their new lives.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #27
woot

Quote:
Yea that's kinda the impression that I got, but all the stuff about Catholicism being responsible for Beethoven and Michaelangelo made me wonder if he was joking.

As silly as things like temple work seem, they really do provide explanations for many things that Catholicism still struggles with. Still, the Catholic church has had 2000 years for apologists and theologians to create all sorts of intricate webs of ideas, so that's a church that also has gained greater depth than mainstream christianity, to which I was mostly referring.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #28
SeattleUte

Quote:
Yea that's kinda the impression that I got, but all the stuff about Catholicism being responsible for Beethoven and Michaelangelo made me wonder if he was joking.

As silly as things like temple work seem, they really do provide explanations for many things that Catholicism still struggles with. Still, the Catholic church has had 2000 years for apologists and theologians to create all sorts of intricate webs of ideas, so that's a church that also has gained greater depth than mainstream christianity, to which I was mostly referring.
I see we have Indy's evil twin here.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #29
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I see we have Indy's evil twin here.
Wait, I thought Indy was the evil twin?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #30
woot

I'm not sure what that means. Does Indy also recognize silly apologetics when he sees it?