cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #41
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
This reminds me about talking to a friend out at the course the other day.

This guy isn't active at all, but loves BYU football. Anyway we got talking about going to the Vegas game. He said if we go together we need to get tickets away from BYU fans because he is going to have a beer or two. I said, no big deal. He said it is an old habit.

When he was a teenager his Dad told him to go get some beer. He said he was going to go to the local store and his mom said, you can't go there. You know your Dad is the Bishop. You have to go over and buy it in Millard.
Great story.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #42
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Liquor = hard or strong alcholic drinks. Beer is not usually considered same (although some belgian beers can make you stand up and notice, or so I am told).

Iced tea was, traditionally, simply brewed tea cooled and poured over ice. IOW, it is no different. There is sun-brewed tea, however, which might be considered to be different, and, in the more modern era, instant tea messes this all up.

The ahndbook gives guidance on this but, as someone pointed out, the temple recommend question is only whether you keep the WoW. Self-governance, with prayerful consideration and taking into account the words of prophets, seems to the the idea here.
I don't draw a distinction between beer, wine and hard liquors. Generally, you need to drink two glasses of wine or beer to make you feel the same as one glass of whisky will make you feel. Drunk is drunk. The most unhealthy drinks are those with mixers and juices because of the sugar and caloric content. I avoid beer because it seems heavier and more bloating.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #43
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't draw a distinction between beer, wine and hard liquors. Generally, you need to drink two glasses of wine or beer to make you feel the same as one glass of whisky will make you feel. Drunk is drunk. The most unhealthy drinks are those with mixers and juices because of the sugar and caloric content. I avoid beer because it seems heavier and more bloating.
When you submit your own word of wisdom, you can add somerthing about bloating, which will, I suspect, find approval with your wife and children.

The question I was attempting to assist in asnwering is the difference, tradiiotnally between hard liquor, wine and beer, which may have bearing on the discussion concerning the WoW based on Section 89.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #44
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Didn't Arrington, while he was church historian, publish something in BYU Studies about the evolution of the WOW being conditioned by economics and politics? I read a summary of the article a couple years ago, I'm pretty sure. If anyone has a citation please let me know.

You're right.

Leonard Arrington, "An Economic Interpretation of 'the Word of Wisdom'" in BYU Studies 1:1 (Winter, 1959), pp. 37 - 50.

http://byustudies.byu.edu/Products/M...e=7&ProdID=913

The internet is amazing.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
When you submit your own word of wisdom, you can add somerthing about bloating, which will, I suspect, find approval with your wife and children.

The question I was attempting to assist in asnwering is the difference, tradiiotnally between hard liquor, wine and beer, which may have bearing on the discussion concerning the WoW based on Section 89.
This may help:

http://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Defini...1361320&sr=1-1

I have Jackson's book on single malt scotches. I draw a distinction between single malt scotch and other liquors. His books are very informative and entertaining regarding the history of whiskies, how they're made, and with ratings of various modern brands.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #46
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Of course if we are talking about American beer then we are talking about a 'mild drink' at 3.2%.

Now if we are talking Canadian beer at 5 - 6% ...
Then there's Belgian beer which goes up to 12%.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #47
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Could the conflation of beer with liquor be a result of the prohibition era? Wasn't all alcohol banned then? So maybe that's the genesis of the "beer is against the WOW line of thought"?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #48
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

So here i am in chicago and my company ends long day of meetiings with buckets of beer. No one get trashed. They all have one or two, relax a little and enjoy each other's company.

Part me thinks "I should have a beer and unwind"

then reality kicks in and I see Solon's little brother two seats down

As the old Joke goes... "There's a reason you always take two mormon's fishing with you. if you take only one he will drink all your beer"