cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I like it when the water doesn't taste like it's become metallic from sitting in the pipe. A larger cup size (cue Goatnapper) would be nice as well, because sometimes there's just enough water in there to keep me from swallowing well, and then I cough, and then I wonder if everyone thinks I'm being punished for being evil...
Now why would they think that, I wonder?
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Now why would they think that, I wonder?
Because he's evil, of course. Next question, please?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like it when the water doesn't taste like it's become metallic from sitting in the pipe. A larger cup size (cue Goatnapper) would be nice as well, because sometimes there's just enough water in there to keep me from swallowing well, and then I cough, and then I wonder if everyone thinks I'm being punished for being evil...
I have a friend whose priests quorum used to keep a bottle of completely flat Sprite in the sacrament-prep closet. Each week, they would fill one sacrament cup with Sprite, and then, while they sat up at the Sacrament table, would scan the congregation to see who had received "the magic cup." I wish I would have thought of that.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Solon

Quote:
You might have a case from the passage you cite, although someone could, for starters, try to distinguish between "assiting in duties in the church" and "assisting in duties in the priesthood."

Regardless, the HoI and tradition run counter to your interpretation and your Bishop will follow them.

There are some interesting things in this area that fall beneath the notice of most. One is that ANYONE in the LDS Church can pass the Sacrament. A sister can pass the tray to someone else, and there's nothing magical about standing and passing or passing to more than one person. Although the Deacon's responsibility with the Sacrament is often referred to as "passing," the priesthood function being exercised is actually OVERSEEING the passing and ensuring that the bread and water are offered to everyone (with respect for parents' decisions about their children--and especially young children-- being the norm).

It would violate cultural expectations if, for example, a sister stood up and passed the tray across the aisle, but in the LDS Church the only things wrong with such an action are in the "unwritten order of things" and in the implication that it might somehow send a "wrong" message (there might be some letter or something addressing this, but I've never heard of one). More than a few breakoffs from the Church fault us for this very thing. Some of the polygamist groups won't let women pass the emblems at all and others have a one-to-one interaction between the priesthood holder and the congregant. I've heard of some Christian groups that won't even let women partake of the Sacrament because Jesus, in the Gospel accounts, only offered it to men.

That the Lord's Supper in the early church was a celebratory, community meal, one that sometimes got out of hand (see Paul's description of people getting drunk on the Sacramental wine and overeating the bread of the Lord's body while others went hungry in 1 Cor. 11), affirms, I think, that community participation (communion, as it were) is key and that, while Paul is upbraiding the Corinthians for focusing on their individual consumption, the Suppers in Corinth at least were fairly informal.

On the one hand I think it would be cool to have an old style "Supper of the Lord." OTOH, I understand why this doesn't happen in the Church.
Very interesting comments.

In the ancient world, any sacrifice occasion was also a feast. You'd (usually) eat the animal you had killed - especially if it was a big one. The god(s) feasted on the smell of the burning entrails while the humans enjoyed the tastier portions (thanks, Prometheus). The communal meal is a very old component of religion. I could go for a burger and fries with my sacrament.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some wards used to have communal meals on Sunday. "Break the fast".

I think these have been done away with for the most part. I've never been in a ward that did this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I think these have been done away with for the most part. I've never been in a ward that did this.
My ward has done it once or twice. It's usually an adventure in "How can I feed my family of 7 by contributing a plate of watermelon?"
Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
My ward has done it once or twice. It's usually an adventure in "How can I feed my family of 7 by contributing a plate of watermelon?"
Hey, that have to demonstrate why their fast offering comes out to $1 per family member.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm glad this tradition has ended. I hate ward potlucks. A lot of bad crock pot food and caseroles with corn flakes.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm glad this tradition has ended. I hate ward potlucks. A lot of bad crock pot food and caseroles with corn flakes.
It's still fairly common place in student singles wards.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:

We have Break the Fast in the singles wards out here every month, and "linger longer" after church every Sunday, which is essentially refreshments. I think last week we had fruit and cheese & crackers.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote